McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mac 250

I posted about this saw with the other 2 I got from a relative this weekend in "Picked up 3 saws this weekend" thread. It does turn over but doesn't run and I haven't really torn into it yet. When I asked about it, my relative said i was getting "hard to start" and thought the compression was geting weak, so on to the shelf it went. It seems to have decent compression when I pull it over but I don't have a compression tester to settle the matter. Hopefully I can get a answer tomorrow. Here's some pic's:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Seeing questions on the carbs on the 250's and if rebuild kits are still available for certian ones a while back, are kits still available for this one? This carb has HL 630 stamped on it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I posted about this saw with the other 2 I got from a relative this weekend in "Picked up 3 saws this weekend" thread. It does turn over but doesn't run and I haven't really torn into it yet. When I asked about it, my relative said i was getting "hard to start" and thought the compression was geting weak, so on to the shelf it went. It seems to have decent compression when I pull it over but I don't have a compression tester to settle the matter. Hopefully I can get a answer tomorrow. Here's some pic's:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Seeing questions on the carbs on the 250's and if rebuild kits are still available for certian ones a while back, are kits still available for this one? This carb has HL 630 stamped on it.

attachment.php

Carb is stamped HL63G... Get Tillotson kit RK-88-HL and read this: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=64450&highlight=hl you'll be good to go. How much you want for that 250??? j/k I have enough projects!!!!

Carb is stamped HL63G... Get Tillotson kit RK-88-HL and read this: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=64450&highlight=hl you'll be good to go. How much you want for that 250??? j/k I have enough projects!!!!

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll try to get one ordered this week if I go to the shop this week. When my relative tried to give me a Montgomery Ward top handle saw that looked like a rebadged Mini Mac I told him I've got too many projects as well.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a full wrap handle for the 650 gear drive mcculloch? It's not the same as the full wrap on the 250, it's wider on the clutch side. Mine is busted.

Update...IT LIVES AGAIN!!!

Well a visit to the saw shop proved helpful. Compression was 110-120 psi range as well as good spark. So after I got home I tinkered with the 250 a little bit, mostly cleaning some of the "who knows how many years" oily caked-on sawdust off.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I got most of it off but I don't have access to compressed air at home so I didn't do a very thorugh job. The chain is .404, and is soaking in a bucket of drain oil to try and free up a few sticky links. So then I tried to see if the saw would at least fire, dumped out the old gas, poured in some fresh mix into the tank and a little down the carb and after a few pulls she sputtered, the next pull while squeezing the trigger and pulling she fired right up. It does run and rev up ok but doesn't want to idle very well, though. So some cleaning/adjusting of the carb plus new fuel line/filter and a new spark plug are on the to do list.

attachment.php

attachment.php

McCulloch and Poulan made some of the best starter handles back in the 60's and 70's.

The clamp type on the "later" saws were significantly better that the two screw type. On the very early saws like the 3-25/47/73 the one piece round mufflers seems to be good forever. Same thing on the 33/35 saws, you rarely see a ratty looking muffler on one of those.

I have one NOS round one with the three bolt mount like the 795, $58++.

Mark

My first Macs

Up until recently I did not own any Macs. Picked this 10-10S up a couple of weeks ago:

Mac10-10S008.jpg

Today I went chasing after some saws that were advertised on Craigslist. He claimed to have 9, but found some more in his sheds. I spotted the handle of one he had missed and talked him into bringing it outside. In the end, I also ended up with this 640 bow saw (along with 13 others including a Timberbear with a bad starter).

McCulloch640021.jpg

McCulloch640019.jpg

McCulloch640020.jpg

More progress on the 250

Now she idles ok, took it back in to the shop again today. Had the owner give it a try, see what he thought. Other than having to give it a shot of gas to start and adjusting the idle, no other adjustments. Once the saw is warm she starts up ok. Had him make up a new Carlton chain for it as well. Took it over to a farmer friend's shop and gave 'er a good cleaning with the air compressor.

attachment.php

attachment.php

After a decent cleaning with air and some elbow grease and a rag, she doesn't look to bad for a shed find.

attachment.php

Cleaned up the plug on the wire wheel, cleaned out the air filter and put the new chain on and she's ready for work.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Went out and did a few test cuts on some chunks of firewood he had piled up outside. Now if it will stop raining so I can get out and get some real cuttin' done.

(PS, Mark, how big are those 550's?-neat saws by the way)

Guido, that 640 Bow is really cool. I hope you decide to clean it up and make it run again. If not...

Grizzly, make sure the choke closes completely, that was a problem for many of the 200/250 McCulloch saws.

The 550 is 99cc's, this particular one does start and run very nicely.

Mark

Grizzly, make sure the choke closes completely, that was a problem for many of the 200/250 McCulloch saws.

What is the proper way to fix that? I'll take closer look at mine tomorrow.

Edit: Also is the oiler just manual on the 250? I used the thumb oiler during the test cuts.

Last edited:
Up until recently I did not own any Macs. Picked this 10-10S up a couple of weeks ago:

Mac10-10S008.jpg

Today I went chasing after some saws that were advertised on Craigslist. He claimed to have 9, but found some more in his sheds. I spotted the handle of one he had missed and talked him into bringing it outside. In the end, I also ended up with this 640 bow saw (along with 13 others including a Timberbear with a bad starter).

McCulloch640021.jpg

Nice 10-10,
The 640 is great,looks like it will clean up nice.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back