McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark,
Thanks for the advice will look up that thread.

Wow that piston is trashed something sure did a number on that one.

the only thing i havent done was a new carb kit for it the one on it looks in good condition but could be no good. i have dis assembled the carb and soaked it in seafoam and can easily blow thru it. is there a better way to clean the carb? also the carb is a Tillotson.

It's good that it's a Tillotson..they're easy to rebuild. Just make sure you get the right kit for it. Take down all the numbers on the carburetor so as not to confuse the guy you're buying the kit from. I generally use carburetor cleaner on them, it seems to do better than something like sea foam, and a lot cheaper. Some here don't recommend it but I generally disassemble the carb and dip it in carb cleaner for about 15 minutes then drop it in hot water and blow it off with compressed air. If it still seems a little dirty I do it again. I've had good results with that method.

Last edited:
actually it doesn't really look like it has. I think most, if not all, of its issues come from improper storage and general corrosion...===

... that and a big hunk of crap in the chamber.

Since I am heading down this road, does anyone know the latest equivavlent part #'s for the piston/rings? Here's my reference mat'l from the 60's.
heroze-albums759-173261.PNG

My 'fun factor' just got exceeded. I went to the machine shop and they are talking over $100 for the work. So, look for a nice bow bar with chain in the classifieds near you. I'm knocking the corrosion off of it and putting it back together today. I'll drop a pic by in a few.

Here's the culprit - needle bearing. I can't figure that one out.
heroze-albums759-173299.jpg

Here's the culprit - needle bearing. I can't figure that one out.

I have heard about that kind of failure a number of times, even read a few McCulloch service bulletins describing the same thing, but haven't done it myself so far anyway.

There was one service bulleting that chronicled a kart engine failure, dealer claimed it to be a needle dropped in at the factory, factory analyzed the failed parts and discovered the needle came from some other bearing entirely, dropped in accidentally at the dealer doing the work.

When you put one back together, you need to count the needle elements carefully and make sure they all end up where they belong. I am going to grab a copy of that photo for my records as well.

Depending on how badly the cylinder is scored, it might still be possible to make that saw run again; since it had pretty low compression to begin with a bit of scoring may not hurt as much as you think. Many of the old time McCulloch documents indicated a minimum of 90 PSI for compression was acceptable.

Mark

just joined the Mac club.. picked up a 1-41 from CL today for $20. what a beast.

I hope you have a better time with it than I had with my 1-42 today. I put some fuel in the carb to see if it would start and messed around long enough that I flooded it so put a new sparkplug in it and cranked it over about 15 times and nothing, so I suspected a bad plug maybe...went to remove it and.....I had neglected to re-connect the plug wire!! How stupid! Now I'm gonna let it sit and dry out a little while before I try again.

Apparently DA (person who tried to work on this thing before) got that same advice! Well, he got the first half of that advice and not the 'done right' part. or maybe something got sucked in to the chamber. nothing fell out when i pulled it. here is what I found. There is a little circle from another perspective in the pic as well... Luckily the cylinder doesn't look too scored. we'll see.

Yeah...............I didn't say to run it after breaking the rings.........:hmm3grin2orange:

My 'fun factor' just got exceeded. I went to the machine shop and they are talking over $100 for the work. So, look for a nice bow bar with chain in the classifieds near you. I'm knocking the corrosion off of it and putting it back together today. I'll drop a pic by in a few.

Yikes! I've seen that happen with a dirt bike engine that shed a roller from one of the bearings. Don't know how that happened...

=== I am going to grab a copy of that photo for my records as well. ===

Why settle for a blurry picture? You've been first class; I'll send you the piston and pin for shipping costs.

I had cleaned up the head and took it to the shop. the guy was looking down the bore and said he saw what did it. there it was, stuck in one of the port holes on the sparkplug side of the jug. amazing it was still there. :msp_huh: I had done all kinds of work on that head and it didn't fall out. i had even pressure washed some of the gunk off the fins prior to taking it in for pricing on the bore job. helluva way to get to this point. :msp_sad:

Don't give up, karma has a way of evening things. This one turned into a nightmare. Reckon that means you're due for a nice find around the corner.

I was just gifted a 5 gal pail full of large mac parts. the decals say pro mac 802, mod 6001198 sn 11-014788 the piston measure 53mm ish across (the battery in the calipers died..) Missing the coil and clutch for sure. needs a piston, but the bore is looking good.

What is it? I googled and no hits. parts availability?
Thanks

I was just gifted a 5 gal pail full of large mac parts. the decals say pro mac 802, mod 6001198 sn 11-014788 the piston measure 53mm ish across (the battery in the calipers died..) Missing the coil and clutch for sure. needs a piston, but the bore is looking good.

What is it? I googled and no hits. parts availability?
Thanks

Are you sure it didn't say Pro Mac 805? That is an 82cc saw, the piston is 2.06" in diameter, or 52.324mm.

Model Profile: Pro Mac 805

heroze-albums759-173344.jpg

More information is available HERE

I'm looking for a win-win. If you have an idea of a reasonable price $$, especially if you are NOT particularly interested in the bar, please send me a PM.

If you are interested feel free to send me a PM as well. I'll try to formalize things within a week.

I hate going down like this, but fun-o-meter and budget is pegged...

CPR - yea, I already have my eye on some old Poulans... :) everyone has to have a hobby, huh? I really want a smaller bow saw. Odds are against this type of thing happening again.

Yea it is a 805. thanks Looks like I am missing way to many parts to try to put it together.

Tell us what is missing and maybe someone can help you. Or tell us what you have and maybe someone will buy it from you.

If you don't want to do this in an open forum then PM me.

Thanks, Ron

Tell us what is missing and maybe someone can help you. Or tell us what you have and maybe someone will buy it from you.

If you don't want to do this in an open forum then PM me.

Thanks, Ron

BTW, if you need a front handle, I have the one that was broken, came with my 850. I had it welded back together today. :) It's still good! You would have to find something to put on as a grip... I had to wire wheel the stuff off so it could be welded, and some more needs to come off. That old stuff needed to be replaced, anyway. Will post pic in my thread on the 850 rebuild. :cheers:

Back