McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my Mcclloch 660 when ever I tip the saw on it side cutting it drains fuel out the brass screen thing.

When the cap is off there is nothing to stop it from leaking out. I assume there is supposed to be a duckbill type thing in there to prevent this. Any ideas on where I could get such a thing to fix the cap.

Also I am having a heck of a time starting the saw now. I have to pull it over several times. Carb kit should fix this? Once it is running it is great and never dies. It acts like it is holding no fuel at the carb.

On my Mcclloch 660 when ever I tip the saw on it side cutting it drains fuel out the brass screen thing.

When the cap is off there is nothing to stop it from leaking out. I assume there is supposed to be a duckbill type thing in there to prevent this. Any ideas on where I could get such a thing to fix the cap.

Also I am having a heck of a time starting the saw now. I have to pull it over several times. Carb kit should fix this? Once it is running it is great and never dies. It acts like it is holding no fuel at the carb.

As far as fixing that cap, probably easier to just get another cap, there's lots of them around, if that's your problem. You might need a new fuel filter also.

Big Mac ID, 79?

Went to the shop for work odds and ends this morning. They just got an old Lighting on trade, and the owner got to showing off his 090's. Asked if he'd ever fooled with any 797's or 125's.
He said, "Crawl up in the loft and dig around in the far corner."
I did, and dug out the saw in the pics below. Told him I wanted it. He said "It's yours, take it home, make it run, bring it back and we'll have some fun with it."

Bottom of the case is engraved a large 1 -(dash) small 76 over a small 86, on the left (left with the saw upside down) case half. There is a 303 engraved on the other side.

Any thoughts? I'll clean it up this afternoon and get a bore measurement. I'm sure you guys know what I'm hoping it is, but I don't even want to type it. Irregardless I'm happy with it. Can't beat a free Mac. ...-thanks - Sam

Went to the shop for work odds and ends this morning. They just got an old Lighting on trade, and the owner got to showing off his 090's. Asked if he'd ever fooled with any 797's or 125's.
I did, and dug out the saw in the pics below. Told him I wanted it. He said "It's yours, take it home, make it run, bring it back and we'll have some fun with it."

Bottom of the case is engraved a large 1 -(dash) small 76 over a small 86, on the left (left with the saw upside down) case half. There is a 303 engraved on the other side.

Any thoughts? I'll clean it up this afternoon and get a bore measurement. I'm sure you guys know what I'm hoping it is, but I don't even want to type it. Irregardless I'm happy with it. Can't beat a free Mac. ...-thanks - Sam

Way to go Sam!!!! Great find at an even better price. Looks like you have a 1-76 and if Acres is correct you got a 99cc Mac.
Model Profile: 1-76
So go forth and fear no evil:clap::cheers:

Thanks Brian! Never even heard of that model. The numbers on the case had me scratching my head, as did the bore measurement I just took. You nailed it.

The saw is complete, but there is some scoring on the piston, compression is weak.

Only thing missing is the carb. Which carbs does this saw accept?

Thanks - Sam

Three years ago I sold a 1-52, runner BTW, for $20. :bang::bang::bang: I didn't have the CAD, was never going to use it, and it sat it the garage for two years before that. Thing is, I consider the guy that bought it an idiot to this day still.

Last edited:
Thanks Brian! Never even heard of that model. The numbers on the case had me scratching my head, as did the bore measurement I just took. You nailed it.

The saw is complete, but there is some scoring on the piston, compression is weak.

Thanks - Sam

Sorry no carbs available on the west coast for that modle. You could send it to me, I'll keep looking for a carby for you.:msp_wink:

Thanks - Sam

Good score Sam! That saw would have had either the large 'flatback' Walbro/Mac carb with attached primer, or a Tillotson HL......most likely an HL19, HL103, or HL63 variant. I'd run an HL if I were you. I'm swapping all of my 'flatback' equipped McCullochs over to Tilly HL's.

One of the online Kart parts houses had pistons and rings for the 99cc McCullochs recently.

Three years ago I sold a 1-52, runner BTW, for $20. :bang::bang::bang: I didn't have the CAD, was never going to use it, and it sat it the garage for two years before that. Thing is, I consider the guy that bought it an idiot to this day still.

If he's an idiot..............maybe you can get the 1-52 back for the price you paid................or you can 'double his money' and get it for $40. It's worth talking with an idiot for a half hour or less to get a good running McCulloch. Take a deep breath and make a phone call Jeff...:cheers:

Hey - does anyone know a machine shop that can handle blind boring a jug? I would make some calls if you have some shops you would like to recommend. I can handle shipping to/from the right professionals. nobody I can find around here is willing to commit to doing it right. In fact, only one shop would even attempt... most have larger machines for auto only.

Good score Sam! That saw would have had either the large 'flatback' Walbro/Mac carb with attached primer, or a Tillotson HL......most likely an HL19, HL103, or HL63 variant. I'd run an HL if I were you. I'm swapping all of my 'flatback' equipped McCullochs over to Tilly HL's.

One of the online Kart parts houses had pistons and rings for the 99cc McCullochs recently.

If he's an idiot..............maybe you can get the 1-52 back for the price you paid................or you can 'double his money' and get it for $40. It's worth talking with an idiot for a half hour or less to get a good running McCulloch. Take a deep breath and make a phone call Jeff...:cheers:

I did talk to him, his FIL sold it before he passed on. And hes still an idiot. Someday, Randy may hook me up. I have a McCulloch, and a comparatively rare one on the way, but all yous won't show it no love, as its not a "classic". Some would poopoo it out of hand. But it is a piece of the Mac puzzle, and not everyone can have a 125, or 797. Not that I would mind a few of each.

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with the saw. I'll get it back to ship shape, probably take me forever though.

Aaron, I do have a Tilly that should work fine, and thanks for the tip on the piston/rings.

The saw has nice spark, shouldn't be a big deal to get it running. Doesn't look like it saw much use, minimal scratches, all rubber still attached to the front and rear handles. A lot nicer than my work saws when I get done with them, lol.

Thanks in advance to Brian, Lee, and the rest of you who have done some fantastic Mac rebuild threads - Sam

I did talk to him, his FIL sold it before he passed on. And hes still an idiot. Someday, Randy may hook me up. I have a McCulloch, and a comparatively rare one on the way, but all yous won't show it no love, as its not a "classic". Some would poopoo it out of hand. But it is a piece of the Mac puzzle, and not everyone can have a 125, or 797. Not that I would mind a few of each.

You getting one of those silver mini-macs or 610's? You won't get any 'poopoo' coming from me, despite what's been said lately about certain tractors!:monkey:

You never know Jeff. Somebody out here on the left coast may indeed hook you up with a "classic" Mac fix. Shipping is the only barrier, and that can be overcome...:cheers:

Been there done that. Except I was the idiot. I fell for my mom and dads plan of bringing a bunch of stuff to the dump. We hauled an Enticer 340 parts sled there. :msp_cursing: I still am pissed to this day. There were many useful parts on that thing too.

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with the saw. I'll get it back to ship shape, probably take me forever though.

Aaron, I do have a Tilly that should work fine, and thanks for the tip on the piston/rings.

The saw has nice spark, shouldn't be a big deal to get it running. Doesn't look like it saw much use, minimal scratches, all rubber still attached to the front and rear handles. A lot nicer than my work saws when I get done with them, lol.

Thanks in advance to Brian, Lee, and the rest of you who have done some fantastic Mac rebuild threads - Sam

Here is a set of rings on ebay. McCulloch 1-76 740 1-86 Chainsaw New Piston Rings 48978 - eBay (item 180635419612 end time Apr-04-11 06:21:19 PDT)

Get her running and get some videos!!!:laugh:

174947d1299361877-s5002883-jpg
174948d1299361898-s5002884-jpg
174949d1299361911-s5002885-jpg
174950d1299361925-s5002886-jpg

Great looking saw. Ron

Ok guys, I finally got a set of rings and crank seals for my 200. I still need the little cup that goes on the end of the oil pump. Anyone got one laying around they don't need?
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back