McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries Ted. It's a rough point, but a minor one compared to what many are going through.

Got the SP-81 Wednesday afternoon...............the day before I left for the trip. Spent a buncha time on Wednesday degreasing it. Was rather cruddy, with oil, dirt, pitch...............and lotsa dog hair. My guess is that John lets his dog(s) ride in the back of the Dodge with the saws...:D

I was given the SP-81 in exchange for doing work on John's Dad's mighty Homelite 750. I enjoy working on a classic monster of a saw (especially a Homelite or McCulloch), and I got a great old Mac for my time. I'll be getting a PM700 from the same source in the near future too.

The SP-81 is missing a couple of screws and needs the starter rope and handle replaced. Needed a good cleaning too. Going to put a carb kit and a new air filter element in it. Has a 28" grey/black "Super Pro" labeled roller nose (not sprocket tip) bar and a good loop of 3/8" chisel (skip). Needs a set of spikes. Has a rim drive drum and a full-wrap handlebar.

The 10-10 Auto has a little bit of corrosion on the rear handle and clutch cover. Everything else looks good. Will just need a cleaning. Has a rim-drive sprocket. Wears a 16" grey/black "Mac-10" labeled hardnose and a loop of Oregon safety chain. That chain will be replaced soon. Also needs a set of spikes.

I'm sorry you missed the GTG. If you will list the parts numbers for your missing SP81 screws and spikes, I'll see if I can help you. Ron

Hey, while I'm thinking of it:

Does anybody have the plastic hand grip insert for a ProMac 700? Mine's missing, chainsawr doesn't seem to have one, and neither does my "auction buddy."

If it uses the same tank/handle assembly as my 850, look on feebay... that's where I got mine, for about 9 bucks.

The only last thing I need to deal with on the 850 is the rear handle rubber a/v bushing... will have to grab some washers at HD when I run there for some other various crap for other projects.

Fired the saws up this morning... I love the sound of these Macs... I'll fire them up whenever I feel like it, lol. They just sound too damn good. :)

790 is basically at a standstill right now. Other priorities have taken over, like finding a job, etc.

I noticed from the lack of posts and presence, CPR is busy as a bee pollinating apple trees in terms of dealing with all of the pulling tractor competition stuff. It's very slow on the site at this time, even the wtf thread seems to be slow at times. People must've found jobs or something.

===
790 is basically at a standstill right now. Other priorities have taken over, like finding a job, etc.
===
Yea, you're sure to have MORE time when you have a job :) and a family, and some outside stuff to do. I feel guilty and I'm in the middle of gutting and getting a new (for me) rental house into shape.

always stuff to do!

Last edited:
POWER MAC 6 Automatic

So what if I am trying to regain my youth by buying a PM6A; it like me doesn't seem to have any spark. Any suggestions on how to check for grounding and the like before I tear into it to get to the points, etc? If I can get this little 1/4" pitch chainsaw going again, all I will need to do next is lose 50#s and relocate some hair. :msp_rolleyes: I'll post pictures when I am done - the saw not me.

Ron

PS I put the automatic oiler version of the World's lightest chainsaw on the scales - no bar or chain but with bar plates, clutch cover, a little oil and dust this aluminum tube handle baby came in at just a fraction under 7.5#. Heck, I weighed almost 2# more than that when I was born 55 years ago.

mcculloh 885 just sprayed off. what makes it worth more spending the money to full restore it or leave it ?

If you power washed it, then make sure it dries out, as in run it.
If you are keeping it, do what you want. If you are selling it, you will never recoup your investment if done properly. As with anything collectible, original is best. If you are here to check what you can get for it, you are in the wrong place, as we as a group seldom pay retail, and have been known to lowball a seller or two.
One other thing: Never show a picture of those two saws with the plastic thing on the bottom. Its hardly a saw, much less a McCulloch.

790 at a stand still. Man, get that thing done.
You been working on it for how long?

Lee

Well, I had a real long post going there... but obviously you don't want to hear any reasons as to why I need a job, especially before purchasing parts and a parts saw.

Very much alive and kickin', boys. Work, pulling, family have me stretched thin, but I did log some shop time today, mostly building a "sell/get out of the way" pile.

I'm sorry you missed the GTG. If you will list the parts numbers for your missing SP81 screws and spikes, I'll see if I can help you. Ron

I could use:

1)Air Filter Element #85387

2)Starter Handle #91255

3)Three Oval-Head 8-32x1-1/8" Screws #110646

4)Handle Insert #89400

5)10-24x1/2" Pan Head Screw #102500

6)#10 Washer #10002

7)Spike Kit #86330

8)Two Hex Head 10-24x5/8" Screws #102388

9)Two 10-24 Hex Nuts #101191.

I could get most of the screws and such locally of course. Don't know about the oval head screws.

Last edited:
Hmmm

If you power washed it, then make sure it dries out, as in run it.
If you are keeping it, do what you want. If you are selling it, you will never recoup your investment if done properly. As with anything collectible, original is best. If you are here to check what you can get for it, you are in the wrong place, as we as a group seldom pay retail, and have been known to lowball a seller or two.
One other thing: Never show a picture of those two saws with the plastic thing on the bottom. Its hardly a saw, much less a McCulloch.

Well My goal here is to find a knowledge base that i can draw from in getting this saw to kick ass, and the plastic thing , well its cut over a 1000 cedar posts, and 85 cords of SE utahs finest ponderosa. and starts on the 1st pull hot or cold, it has bought my children motorcycles, put a roof over my head , and no matter what anybody says It is my best friend when im at 8000 ft. It works side by side with a 20" husky ranch saw of simaler age and to be brutaly honest it isnt faster but when its time to limb trees it kicks the husky ass in ease of use, in gas mileage, chain wear, and even red headed step children need love.

Sorry you missed the GTG Aaron. There is always next year, I hope to get out there myself. Things are starting to look up, and it may be possible.

Very much alive and kickin', boys. Work, pulling, family have me stretched thin, but I did log some shop time today, mostly building a "sell/get out of the way" pile.

Think we need to have 30 hr days. I just started a second job myself finely. Working as a groundie dragging brush, should be able to finance projects now, but wont have any time LOL. So I know how you feel......Work, family, and house have me stretched thin. And to make it all better, both kids and wife are sick:dizzy:.....no rest for the wicked I guess.

Very nice saws. I really like the 895.
Is she a runner?

Lee

When i aquired it I was told its starts and runs good, however it has been in a barn for the last 10 years and on first examination the rope wont pull, anybody got a manual or a parts list on this monster? any common things i should watch out for ? the 555 fired up this morning the 850 is next weekends thrill ride.

When i aquired it I was told its starts and runs good, however it has been in a barn for the last 10 years and on first examination the rope wont pull, anybody got a manual or a parts list on this monster? any common things i should watch out for ? the 555 fired up this morning the 850 is next weekends thrill ride.

You're gonna love the 850... great saw, about the weight of a 610, but about twice the power... They are thirsty saws though. :)

(have you been seeing what they're going for on feebay? :dizzy:)

The 895, if you're lucky, all that happened is the rings rusted to the cylinder. Oil soaking will help, penetrating oil would work better. Once you get it free, it should wear the rust off with normal running. A good check through the engine wouldn't hurt in case the crank bearings rusted up too or something like that.

Last edited:
Titan IPL needed.

I was given a Titan (in pieces but appears all there). Does anyone have and IPL so I can get it back together?

[email protected]

It came with three mini-macs in the same state but I couldn't say I didn't want those. 110,120 and a 130 but they all appear the same on a quick glance.

Back