McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
custom muffler? built to last a couple of lifetimes
attachment.php

Well I looked on the bottom and it is stamped 740 and 840. So I'm guessing I got an 840 not the 895 I thought I was buying. Guess thats the chance you take with Craigslist out of state buys. At least I didn't pay squat for it. Are carb kits available for this beast?

Looks like you have the flatback carb in there. Kits are still available. See them a bit on ebay, and I believe Bryce and Sugar Creek have them as well. Its not an 895, but still a nice saw!

Well I looked on the bottom and it is stamped 740 and 840. So I'm guessing I got an 840 not the 895 I thought I was buying. Guess thats the chance you take with Craigslist out of state buys. At least I didn't pay squat for it. Are carb kits available for this beast?

Carb diaphrams are available but the primers are not.
I would convert to a Tilly HL63 and be done with it.

Lee

Thanks Lee, I was mostly disappointed because I checked to make sure that the 895 Tilly kits were available before I bought it. I will look for that carb. Anyone have one for sale? Wanna trade for a flat back? LOL

Carb diaphrams are available but the primers are not.
I would convert to a Tilly HL63 and be done with it.

Lee

Gomlin - primers are available, but you have to search for them. One sold on ebay today for$25. I have a few tucked away. If you really want to swap for a Tillotson I should be able to set you up.

Just because a couple have showed up on ebay recently by the same seller.
Doesn't mean they are available. I haven't seen a half dozen for sale in the
last 8 years or so. And who knows when the next one will come around.
And 25 for a primer then 29 for a diaphram kit then you still need the
needle and seat.
You can find a Tilly for next to nothing out of a 250 and then a 10 dollar kit
and have a serviceable carb for the rest of your life.

Lee

apj - The 1-63 would have the Tillotson HL with a shutter choke as original equipment.

Lee - I didn't say they were cheap or plentiful, just that they are out there. A couple of year back someone was selling a few and I managed to get 5 of them @ $5 each. Sometime you just fall in it...No question that the diaphragms and gaskets are pricey, I think the last batch of DG5's that got were $6 each; sure makes the Tillotson more cost effective.

There is no replaceable seat like the Tillotson, needle is the same one used in the SDC carburetors are are available from Bob Johnson for pretty cheap.

Vic - There should be a number stamped on the crankcase where the model number would normally be. I don't remember the block number for the Super 250, something like 83830 maybe? The air filter cover for the later models was the long, molded black one with exta holes like the 660.

It is easy to swap the covers of course, I bought a saw I thought was a Super 250 due to the full wrap handle and holes in the air filter cover, turned out to be a 1-53.

Mark

Last edited:
Vic - There should be a number stamped on the crankcase where the model number would normally be. I don't remember the block number for the Super 250, something like 83830 maybe? The air filter cover for the later models was the long, molded black one with exta holes like the 660.

It is easy to swap the covers of course===

Mark
Mark, the covers are right, but like you say not hard to swap. the bottom is stamped '250' and I can't remember the other side.

Mark, the covers are right, but like you say not hard to swap. the bottom is stamped '250' and I can't remember the other side.

All of the Super 250's that I have seen have the McCulloch flat back carburetor with a choke.

All of the regular 250's have the Tillotson HL63E.

Again, no guarantee as it is pretty easy to swap the carburetors as well.

Mark

Just picked up this new addition to my sp80/81 collection.
I bought it based on 1 photo and my friend picked it up for me for very cheap. I haven't done a thing to it yet.
I was told it was seized up but never expected what I found. Good and bad,,,and weird.

Good are the full wrap and the 32" roller nose. Also what appear to be H&S dogs.
Bad is it's completely seized which is obviously linked to:
Weird is the plug hole in pic 3.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A melted plug is new to me. Anyone see this before?

apj - The 1-63 would have the Tillotson HL with a shutter choke as original equipment.

Lee - I didn't say they were cheap or plentiful, just that they are out there. A couple of year back someone was selling a few and I managed to get 5 of them @ $5 each. Sometime you just fall in it...No question that the diaphragms and gaskets are pricey, I think the last batch of DG5's that got were $6 each; sure makes the Tillotson more cost effective.

There is no replaceable seat like the Tillotson, needle is the same one used in the SDC carburetors are are available from Bob Johnson for pretty cheap.

It is easy to swap the covers of course, I bought a saw I thought was a Super 250 due to the full wrap handle and holes in the air filter cover, turned out to be a 1-53.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I guess I'm just a little afraid to tackle some of the carburetors that Mac put on some of their saws. The Tillotson would pose no problem. I may let my friend down the street have this one though, I'm running out of room.

Just picked up this new addition to my sp80/81 collection.
I bought it based on 1 photo and my friend picked it up for me for very cheap. I haven't done a thing to it yet.
I was told it was seized up but never expected what I found. Good and bad,,,and weird.

Good are the full wrap and the 32" roller nose. Also what appear to be H&S dogs.
Bad is it's completely seized which is obviously linked to:
Weird is the plug hole in pic 3.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A melted plug is new to me. Anyone see this before?

no pic's bud. if you need some part's let me know i've got some extra .

All of the Super 250's that I have seen have the McCulloch flat back carburetor with a choke.

All of the regular 250's have the Tillotson HL63E.

Again, no guarantee as it is pretty easy to swap the carburetors as well.

Mark

The Super 250 IPL details both the choke-type flatback and the Tillotson HL. I've seen one HL equipped Super 250 (it could have been swapped of course). All the rest that I've seen (in pics or in person) have had choke-flatbacks. The Super 550 also used a choke-flatback. 650/660 gear drives were built with HL's, primer-flatbacks, and choke-flatbacks! My 650 had a primer-flatback, but now has an HL63 swapped in by me.

Regarding the HL swap for the 840, an HL19 is a better fit than the HL63. The HL63 can be made to work however.

The HL63 is a carb intended for front-tank McCulloch applications (250, Super 250, 300, etc) and has the AF stud (and the hole drilled/tapped for it) that these saws require. It also will come with the cast 'adaptor' plate which the front tank saws require when used with HL's (unless the adaptor is left with the donor saw). Top-tank McCullochs don't require either the AF stud (the AF nut is part of a bracket that attaches to the tank) or the adaptor plate (only a gasket is used on top-tank Macs). Best to save the HL63's (and their adaptors) for the front-tank Mac swaps if possible.

The AF stud can be cut off an HL63 (and the adaptor plate saved for a front-tank saw) if that's the only McCulloch application HL that you can scare up however. The Mcculloch Chainsaw Carburetors publication states that the replacement carb assemblies (both 'flatback' and HL) come with AF studs, and those studs must be cut off or replaced with a bolt when these carbs are installed on top-tank saws. The HL19 carbs were OEM on many top-tank McCullochs. They have the same throttle/choke setups as the HL63, but the body is undrilled in the 'stud location'.

Last edited:
Back