McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for a 10-10 clutch plate cover like the one shown in attached photos for sale.

Also if you have some info about any sort of power mods that people are doing to 10-10s or which bar/chain combo works best for these, please share your experience. I dont think sugihara makes a bar that will fit the 10-10s, but maybe Tsumura?

Also, is there a difference betwen the 10-10s special edition and the regular 10-10s?

I pulled this image off of here when looking at someones rebuild of their 10-10s here on the site. If anyone has the same for sale (without hole for rope) I would be interested.
There's no difference between the
10-10's . You can use any clutch cover (right hand excluded) on your saw .
I personally like an Oregon power match bar 20"-24" on that saw with a 7 pin rim sprocket, but have used a 18" with an 8 pin.
The S model is a beast of a saw for 57cc so I prefer 3/8ths chain , Exl is nice.
If your saw hasn't been run by you it's best to go through the carb and fuel line and spark plug .
Post pictures and ask questions.

Are the we minis any good as a climbing saw? Or were they strictly aimed at Joe Smith with untidy apple trees?
I'd say apple trees , I have a couple 110s and a 130 and they are little rippers but I find them awkward to one hand . The 130 is mostly pallet and small branches duty .
If I was gonna climb with a little saw it would probably be red ( super2) or off brand.

I'd say apple trees , I have a couple 110s and a 130 and they are little rippers but I find them awkward to one hand . The 130 is mostly pallet and small branches duty .
If I was gonna climb with a little saw it would probably be red ( super2) or off brand.

Couldn't agree more. I just rebuilt a couple of those little reds; simple and powerful (for what they are). Also not as much effort to disassemble. :) I like the little macs, but I have to wonder with the fuel inlet being fixed at the bottom of the tank, how they would fare when climbing?

Couldn't agree more. I just rebuilt a couple of those little reds; simple and powerful (for what they are). Also not as much effort to disassemble. :) I like the little macs, but I have to wonder with the fuel inlet being fixed at the bottom of the tank, how they would fare when climbing?

They definitely would not want to run upside-down for any length of time, but I think that strange felt filter acts like a wick and helps them run for a few moments upside down.

As far as a climbing saw, you'd need a variant with a chain brake. The other factor would be durability, I'm not sure how well some of the features on the mini Macs (air filter cover, recoil, etc) would hold up to the inevitable drops and abuse that a climbing saw takes.

Plenty of power though, and I think they are pretty controllable with 1 hand.

Well that explains why Billy runs an off brand for climbing. Pretty sure its the only off brand he ever runs at all.

So the little homelite was that the usual climbing saw of the day?
Brand specific for most people, I've heard the green top handles were AWESOME but haven't run one.

I rarely do any climbing now,but prefer these for small stuff,pruning.Even over the 1981 Echo 280E top handle parents bought me new.Havent used it in a couple years,still reliable but the 32cc Mac & 38cc Poulan will run circles around it every time. Its only 25cc & less RPM,weighs almost 2 pounds more than the Mac. If that wee Echo ever dies (will probably outlast me) I'm leaning towards one of their hot little CS355T's as a replacement.Heard so much good about them,even in stock form that I just might buy one anyway.DSC03198.JPG

They work well enough in a tree. The shortest bar you can use helps with the balance. One thing you will notice is the little finger on your right hand (or left hand...) gets hot since you use it to sort of counter balance the saw when you use it one handed.

View attachment 845398

Mark

Hey mark! You didn’t get my permission to show that picture!

I'd say apple trees , I have a couple 110s and a 130 and they are little rippers but I find them awkward to one hand .
Plenty of power though, and I think they are pretty controllable with 1 hand.
I actually find them to be more comfortable with one hand - with two your hands are too close together and I find it hard on my wrists.

Well that explains why Billy runs an off brand for climbing. Pretty sure its the only off brand he ever runs at all.
I believe he started out on a Mini Mac.

I think the minis were aimed more toward homeowner and suburb types. (with unruly apple trees) :D
Not many people are... "quirky" enough to use a mini mac as a climbing saw.

Except for Billy Ray and this character... (I don't know if he's on here.)

And in this longer video, he hucked it out of the tree after it quit on him. ( skip to around 17:20 mins)

In the description, he claims that when he picked it back up, it didn't have any damage to it.
Neat and evidently... durable little saws.
They'll get the job done alright, but they were not meant for climbing.

I think the minis were aimed more toward homeowner and suburb types. (with unruly apple trees) :D
Not many people are... "quirky" enough to use a mini mac as a climbing saw.

Except for Billy Ray and this character... (I don't know if he's on here.)

And in this longer video, he hucked it out of the tree after it quit on him. ( skip to around 17:20 mins)

In the description, he claims that when he picked it back up, it didn't have any damage to it.
Neat and evidently... durable little saws.
They'll get the job done alright, but they were not meant for climbing.

Pretty much my experience with them, finicky and temperamental. I have done a tear down 3 times on the same saw and find nothing wrong but it still has hard starts sometimes? Other times runs like a champ.
I don't like the spring loaded idle screw set up.

Latest posts

Back