McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I laser cut all my gaskets and sell on eBay. It doesn’t dry anything out but does seal edge so that nothing leaks in and break down material.
Thanks for responding, that's good to know. You should post your eBay sellers info. I'd rather buy from and support a member here.

Only OEM gaskets are die cut.
Some eBay sellers do make die cut gaskets. I bought some labeled as such for my 3200 - real nice gaskets.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Ahh yup. How do ya like it compared to the 81?
The factory 800 handle is definitely more comfortable. Lol
It's hard to say because the 800 has a lot more run time on it and is broken in so its mannerisms are better, I'm probably still too rich on the 81 and the 80.
I ran the 80 with a 32" D025 mount and steel adapter last week and it has no problems pulling that size bar but I'm getting alot of dry chip build up in the bar groove ? So I may not have opened the adjustment holes up enough. Once the oil getting into the bar situation it sorted out I feel like it could keep up well with my 394xp.
The manual oiler on the 800 works easier than the right angled oiler also.

I’m glad to see it’s still up and running.
I watched your outdoor adventures with the utv , looks like you've really had some fun out west Joey.
I hope all is well with you and yours.
Oh, you need to build a holder for a McCulloch on that side by side .

Hi guys, it's been some time since I've written here, but been checking in from time to time.
I saw this interesting Mac 10-10 auto window shopping in the local classifieds yesterday; it's got the yellow tank top & air filter cover, which I've seen online, never over here, but also a curious yellow starter cover...
Anyone seen one like this before?
It's also wearing a flat reed muffler.

image4.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Hi guys, it's been some time since I've written here, but been checking in from time to time.
I saw this interesting Mac 10-10 auto window shopping in the local classifieds yesterday; it's got the yellow tank top & air filter cover, which I've seen online, never over here, but also a curious yellow starter cover...
Anyone seen one like this before?
It's also wearing a flat reed muffler.

View attachment 976472
View attachment 976473
I've got a all yellow one like that, but can't remember if it has the recoil cover yellow as well?

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day in North East Tennessee today. Temps from high 30s into the 50s, but gusty winds so no felling. Winds were nice as they help dry up the site which at times has been practically inaccessible. One of my s-i-l had teamed up with a friend for splitter duty at the lot but his friend couldn't make it so s-i-l spent the day with me. First order of business was repairing the tractor that had a little mishap during my lunch hour yesterday. A stub tipped up when I was pushing brush to get at some logs Brian had bucked weeks ago.

IMG_6825.JPG
IMG_6829.JPG
Almost nothing a flat stump and hammer couldn't fix - the radiator shroud hit the plastic fan so let just say it doesn't move as much air as it used to.

Then we changed the tire on the truck. Oh, to be young again when a 379# tire and wheel assembly doesn't seem so heavy. After that we got to hauling.

The beginning log pile. The haul road is so rough and long, and the dozer is so slow, it took me just shy of four hours to load, haul and unload this pile Thursday night. This includes one trip down and one trip up on foot. I'm not any faster than the dozer except when going down hill.
IMG_6830.JPG

End of day log pile. Today was my s-i-l's first time running a dozer. He caught on fast. Here he is squaring up the pile.
IMG_6857.JPG

As usual, some needed equipment was at the bottom of the hill, so while my s-i-l walked to the bottom I did some bucking - with a MAC of course. As long as I don't run it too long at a time, I really enjoy running my PM700 now that Brian has it dialed. I do, however, have a little issue that I will throw out below for discussion and hopefully resolution.
IMG_6833.JPG

Continued.

Ron

Attachments

• IMG_6854.JPG
    IMG_6854.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 3
Now for my issue with the PM700 - the recoil is always at least one wrap loose which means you cannot get very many revolutions per pull. In the field, I can remove the outside cover and rewind the cord so that it almost tight, but after a few starts it is right back where it was before and then slowly gets longer and longer. This has been going on for several years. In the past I have taken the time to wind it several wraps so that it snaps back smartly, but then eventually it begins to rewind less and less. I am guessing that the spring must be slipping somehow, but I can't duplicate it with the flywheel cover off. I bet someone here has had the same issue and solved it.

Ron

It didn't hit the truck? LOL I can't imagine what you guys would do if everything actually went right for a change. Your determination and humble dedication to the cause is truly remarkable under the circumstances you seem to face each weekend.
Much respect from Ohio, fellas.

Marvin B - the MAC 10 saws normally were RH start but it would be possible to switch the flywheel cover and starter from a LH start saw. It is hard to say for sure what McCulloch was doing with the European models. The only yellow starter cover I have ever seen was one of the odd early LH start saws that were mostly sold as export models so what you have would certainly be a rare saw in North America.

20200911_170941.jpg

Ron W - I had an SP80 or 81 that would behave in similar fashion. The hook on the end of the spring is supposed to catch in a small notch in the starter pulley/drum and mine would slip out with use. In that case I solved the problem by drilling a small hole in the drum and installing a roll pin to hold the end of the spring in place. It was a little tricky to get the drum installed but the spring never slipped off again.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC01399.JPG
    DSC01399.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 5
Interesting, Mark!
Seen one like that advertised here too, but it had a smooth black top and a sort of mesh attached over the one-piece starter cover. It also had the flat reed muffler, like my PM55.
I'm getting my normal type 10-10a ready for some garden work, gotta to wake up the neighours every so often.
Looks like I'll have to reseal the tank though; it sat overnight with gas, but still leaking. I've got some cork gasket material and Dirko, never done this.
I also picked up a new 16" roller nose bar for it. It's not a Speed Mac, seems newer, and it came with a set of springs. The sticker mentions PM10-10S/700/8200, but guess I should use them with my Mac 10-10 too?

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Interesting, Mark!
Seen one like that advertised here too, but it had a smooth black top and a sort of mesh attached over the one-piece starter cover. It also had the flat reed muffler, like my PM55.
I'm getting my normal type 10-10a ready for some garden work, gotta to wake up the neighours every so often.
Looks like I'll have to reseal the tank though; it sat overnight with gas, but still leaking. I've got some cork gasket material and Dirko, never done this.
I also picked up a new 16" roller nose bar for it. It's not a Speed Mac, seems newer, and it came with a set of springs. The sticker mentions PM10-10S/700/8200, but guess I should use them with my Mac 10-10 too?

View attachment 976625
View attachment 976626
Yes use those on the 10-10 bar studs also. They act as spacers for the bar. They just slide on over the stud treads.

It didn't hit the truck? LOL I can't imagine what you guys would do if everything actually went right for a change. Your determination and humble dedication to the cause is truly remarkable under the circumstances you seem to face each weekend.
Much respect from Ohio, fellas.
Thanks. Brian and I are just a small part. It takes a lot more wood than we produce to serve 349 families. For what we do, I have to give a lot of credit to Brian as he bucks much of what I fell despite being in pain, and he overcomes most of the mechanical juggernauts I find/create.

If everything went right, folks wouldn't believe it. Beyond the operator, the biggest problem is using equipment for purposes that it wasn't designed to do. At least, the MACs are reliable, and if they could speak, I believe they would say that they are happy to be in the woods - I sure am - happy, but not so reliable.

Ron

Latest posts

Back