McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here is an interesting tid bit for the McFans out there, McCulloch actually had a patent for certain features on their earliest CP Cushioned Power models. (The Cushioned Power label on the 570 reminded me of this)

View attachment 986379

View attachment 986378

Mark
This is very interesting!

I thought Danarm held the first patents on vibration mounting, they certainly made claims, and proudly displayed their patent numbers on their products right back to the early '70s.

Danarm used coil springs, 1-71- SS model probably the most prominent model, but the 55 was offered with the system as a pro model too. Everything but the handles was sprung, Mac of course kept some more unsprung mass in their models.

Of course there are Country patents and World patents are much more expensive, so may be this is the case.

Who was first??

Roland.

Hello all! I’m rebuilding a pro Mac 850 from a hodge lodge of three different saws and I’ve ran into a problem with the cylinder set not sealing against the oil tank. The cylinder set is an 850, the crank and bearings out of a 800 and the oil tank off of an 800 as well. The locating pin is seated in the pocket on the smaller bearing but it is still not seating all the way down. I’m sealing it with motoseal grey any one that is more expierwnced with the 800/850 series k ow what’s goin on? Thanks very much!
so I finally got my other pm850 cylinder and tank to seal. I had to use Permatex anerobic sealer and had to put a healthy amount on. It now holds pressure and vacuum....hopefully Ill have two running pm850s!!!

This is very interesting!

I thought Danarm held the first patents on vibration mounting, they certainly made claims, and proudly displayed their patent numbers on their products right back to the early '70s.

Danarm used coil springs, 1-71- SS model probably the most prominent model, but the 55 was offered with the system as a pro model too. Everything but the handles was sprung, Mac of course kept some more unsprung mass in their models.

Of course there are Country patents and World patents are much more expensive, so may be this is the case.

Who was first??

Roland.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US3542095A/en?q=Mcculloch+chainsaw&oq=Mcculloch+chainsaw
McCulloch 1968 Patent

Danarm filed several patents at around the same time, theirs is quite specific about coil springs, McCulloch cite rubber or material with high internal damping, which is quite different.

Danarm was a UK patent, McCulloch a USA patent. So neither world wide in their effect.

https://patents.google.com/patent/GB1224822A/en?inventor=David+Rudelhoff+Johnson&patents=false
Sadly both firms no longer survive today, and every saw made today uses anti vibration of either the McCulloch or Danarm innovation.

Roland.

Just wanted everyone to know Uncle is out of the hospital and back home, and doing ok. Thanks for the good energy and prayers everyone!

Turkey season is almost over. Production wrap up will be done soon. And that means I will have some saw tinker time. I got a bench full that need returned to life.

I've been having a problem starting my 10 series saws,in particular the 5-10,6-10,& 7-10.It seems that the throttle lock isn't enough to get them to start.I have to pull the trigger all the way while pulling the saw over.Quite awkward to say the least.Can anyone tell me why I need to do this?

I've been having a problem starting my 10 series saws,in particular the 5-10,6-10,& 7-10.It seems that the throttle lock isn't enough to get them to start.I have to pull the trigger all the way while pulling the saw over.Quite awkward to say the least.Can anyone tell me why I need to do this?
It could be several things. But being you are having the same issue with all you saws I would start with the carburetor settings.

Danarm filed several patents at around the same time, theirs is quite specific about coil springs, McCulloch cite rubber or material with high internal damping, which is quite different.

Danarm was a UK patent, McCulloch a USA patent. So neither world wide in their effect.

Japan was a little ahead of Danarm and MAC. 1966 in Japan. The patent lists both rubber and spring types.

US3525373A​

United States

Download PDF Find Prior Art Similar
InventorTorao KobayashiCurrent Assignee KYORITSU NOKI CO Ltd

Worldwide applications
1967 US

Application events
1966-12-10

Priority to JP8063766
1967-10-09

Application filed by KYORITSU NOKI CO Ltd
1970-08-25

Application granted
1970-08-25

Publication of US3525373A
1987-08-25

Anticipated expiration
Status

Expired - Lifetime

It could be several things. But being you are having the same issue with all you saws I would start with the carburetor settings.
Max,nothing wrong with the carb settings.I had another guy tell me to check the screw on the trigger & if that doesn't work it's probably due to old age.Things do wear out after 50-60 yrs.

So the Saturday before last I went to a long time friends camp to hang out with him for a few hours located in the Blue Ridge Mountains we call home. The road in off the public highway is a 4x4 logging trail 3.7 miles long. Of course I ALWAYS carry a saw with me, this time I grabbed the frankeinsaw 7-10. Sure enough I had to use it on the way to his camp. In doing so I noticed it need the carb tweaked. I made a mental note and went on about the day. Well this past Saturday afternoon I was having saw withdrawals (Its been a busy April and May) so I decided to get the 7-10 out and tweak the carb, I built a bucking bench for test cuts, and i got one of the 125's out tweaked her and decided to bury her 34" bar it that ole 30" poplar thats been laying where we uprooted it with the trackhoe a couple years ago. I didn't want to cut through it, just cut lol. I grew up on the power of the 81's and 850's but man a fresh 125 is just pure bliss in ones hands! Then I cleaned the two saws up, loctited more screws down on the 125 lol then sat them back in their places on the shelves. It was relaxing but fun day. Just earlier morning musings from a MaCaholic, McCrazy guy. Have a good week all!Big Poplar 1.JPG7-10A & CP 125.JPG Big Poplar.JPG

Latest posts

Back