McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an oem pin and bearings in my SP81 (LBR piston) with the divided port that was used as an airplane project.
I do remember cleaning the pin and piston with alcohol and a little locktight on the piston surfaces. The pin was extremely tight and squealed in. Ive got over a gallon of mix at least through that saw so maybe I am lucky .
I wish there was an oem Husqvarna or stihl thst would work when vinny sleeves them? That would help tremendously.

Boy it would help. Ive had luck with 2 lrb pistons. 82cc and a 70cc. Thats the second piston recently i heard about and saw pictures of that the piston just failed. The other one had the top above the ring break off. Very unfortunate. Lucky it didnt destroy the cylinder though. Id get a oem piston as others have mentioned.

If you haven't determined it yet, 9/64 for the recoil cover and 5/32 for the fan housing.
I finally got some imperial hex keys and it seems to be 9/64 for the recoil cover and some 9/64 plus two slotted/torx for the fan housing.
Are there any hidden screws? I have undone the fan housing screws I can see and it doesn't want to come off.

Are there any hidden screws? I have undone the fan housing screws I can see and it doesn't want to come off.
Never mind, I found one hidden at the top behind the starter handle.

Next questions:
Is it possible to replace the ignition lead, ie can it easily be removed at the flywheel end?
Is there any preference of spark plug socket size? I seem to have a mix of 16mm and 19mm...

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day in North East Tennessee today, it was shirt sleeve weather with a slight breeze. Ground was saturated from days of rains so I knew there would be no hauling. Last Tuesday after work, I had scouted 4 trees that I wanted to fall with Brian.

This morning I found just how far I was behind on sharpening chains due to playing with the hexa grind – no sharp chains - so I scrounged through my stock and came up with an odd assembly.

Loaded for bear – PM800 with 33” .404 square ground skip and off-brand 500i with 25” .375 round ground chisel skip.
IMG_6987.JPG

Brian agreed to meet me at the range. He arrived just in time piloting his side by side. The ground was so slick, my little Deere lost forward progress just sly of the next to last step of the access road. With a long rope putting Brian and his side by side on the step, we were able to get going again. For good measure we kept tethered through the final incline.

Those 4 trees turned into probably 20 trees. We have enough on the ground for many loads if we can just get them out.

One of several “nice” standing dead trees – this one is a red oak.
IMG_6989.JPG

Brian maintaining his anonymity.
IMG_6990.JPG

Last Tuesday night, the PM800 took this nice ash. Also felled another good size ash and did a little scouting before dark.
IMG_6974.JPGIMG_6980.JPG

Last Saturday – rain. No cutting. I hauled in a load from the previous Saturday to the woodlot. Later that evening, I went back to the woodlot to fish out the sassafras logs for a contractor to mill for trailer floor boards.

Previous Saturday, access road was dry enough to get the deuce up the hill – so no cutting just hauling. Short day as I had mowing to do. Got 90% of the mowing done and then was rained out. (Due to successive rains, I didn’t get back to mowing until today; my wife helped out so it didn’t take too long.)

First load to the woodlot.
IMG_6958.JPG

Second load in progress.
IMG_6960.JPG

Second load ready to go down the access road.
IMG_6964.JPG

Be safe,

Ron

Jethro - On most McCulloch branded points and electronic coils the wire basically "unscrews" from the coil. Of course, they often twist off in the pocket of the coil but I've found a hollow left handed drill bit that is intended for removing stripped wood screws that will dig our the wire remnants if you work slowly and carefully.

There is a thin stud like a wood screw in the coil that the wire threads on to. Lately I have been using Liquid Tape to seal the wire when installing a new one but I've used different silicone RTV products in the past with good success.

DSC05852.JPG

DSC05853.JPG

DSC05854.JPG

DSC04990.JPG

Mark

More pictures from Saturday's Miss adventures of Ron and Brian and Blind Squirrel Felling.

A tree that I fell with the PM10-10S
1653796657896.png

Another tree fell with the PM10-10S
1653796733843.png

The mighty machines used in our adventure today

1653796821028.png

1653796862964.png

I had the PM800 with me today but it seen no action.

1653796965169.png

This is what happens when you let Ron loose with a chainsaw.

1653797040884.png

In this picture you can see a half circle. This is what Ron encountered on one of the trees he fell. It created a very dangerous situation. It was hidden by the bark of the tree without any of it showing on the outside of the tree. Ron put a wedge their to wedge the tree over, the piece of the tree popped out causing the tree to fall in the wrong direction. It caused a very dangerous situation that could of taken Ron out.

1653797834127.png

This is where the piece came out of. Notice that the piece that flew out is completely concealed in the bark of the tree without any visible indication that it existed under the bark.

1653798251145.png

1653798282860.png

Continued

Brian

Attachments

• 1653796939975.png
    1653796939975.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
More pictures

1653798405446.png

Ron's mighty PM800 with a 33 inch bar, 404 chain.

1653798482737.png

Ron cutting down the boob tree a live oak snag with his PM800

1653798569232.png

1653798595078.png

Ron notching a ash tree with his PM800

1653798658375.png

Carnage of the front bumper of the side X side. You know that Ron and I cannot cut a day without tearing up something.

1653798770563.png

Ron notching another dead ash. Notice the nice chips flying out from the saw. A nice sharp chain.

1653798856981.png

Ron completing the notch.

1653798986593.png

And now the back cut.

1653799043161.png

And now the tree on the ground. Right where he wanted it to fall. Ron is pretty good at felling and putting it where he wants it.

1653799160939.png

All in all a very good day of felling. A good workout for the McCullough saws. Many trees on the ground and ready to be hauled to the wood lot for processing.

Brian

Reassembled the 55 yesterday. All it needs now is for the paint to be finished and cure on the recoil, and clutch cover. I would have been done except I have got pretty picky on this one and have reworked the recoil and clutch cover paint twice lol. Still not going to be perfect paint on this one. But it's going to be my best paint job ever. The bar cleaned up interesting. I might buff, polish, stencil it and the clear coat. It should look good like that, and since this saw will not be working it will not get worn off lol. Mac 55 2:3 done.JPGMac 55 3:4 done.JPGMac 55 bar.JPG

I took some of my big boys out for a workout yesterday.I had the SP81,the DE80,& the SP125.The SP81 runs great & I love the power to weigh ratio.I don't think it can be beat.The SP125 was used with a very poor chain & didn't last long.We had a huge maple on the ground that my friend pulled over with his truck last yr.At first I used the SP81 to remove the "limbs".Then I used a Homie XP-1000 with a 30 in.bar with .404 chain (this saw is an absolute workhorse).Lastly I used the SP125 till the chain pooped out.I was really impressed with it's power.I've got a new .404 Sandvik chain on it now ready to return next weekend to finish off that maple.The DE80 was used to fell an ash & I was not impressed with it at all.The power to weight ratio basically sucks compared to the SP81.It may be OK for bucking,but not for felling when I had to hold it almost chest high,just too heavy for me.I'll see about getting some pics of the giant maple on here next week.I'm wondering if I'll be able to cut through from both sides with a 36 in.bar.We started out on this tree back in 2013.At that time my biggest saw was a Timber Bear with a 20 in.bar & my only Mac.

I ran the 2-10 for about 20 minutes (which was fun!) then it wouldn't restart. I thought I had it tuned OK but after a while it seemed reluctant to calm down at idle. It seems to have no spark now.
Has it started since? Vapor lock, maybe? Outta gas? (It happens!)

I'd be leaning toward an air leak that got worse as you ran the saw. You may still have spark, just way too much air getting in somewhere -- like a totally failed oil seal. Worse case could be a scored piston (due to the possible leak) with stuck rings and no longer enough compression to fire, though I imagine you'd recognize the decrease in compression rather quickly.

Check spark. Check compression. Check intake integrity for tight fasteners, etc. Check piston if compression is low. Do a vac/pressure test to check case and seal integrity.

Latest posts

Back