McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what I'm thinkin is good is the top end on this saw. piston and rings look great thru the ports. the cylinder walls look new. I don't think I've ever seen this much cross hatching on a cylinder this old. that opinion only includes the 5 saws I've done but a whole lot of vintage 2 stroke dirt bikes.
View attachment 1022860View attachment 1022861View attachment 1022862View attachment 1022863

My S engine was in very much the same shape and also died from a dead coil. I'm wondering if it died early on and sat for many years.

anyone know what the drill is to test this coil? the 10-10 workshop manual I have for my SP70 does not cover these electronic ignition coils.
I have watched plenty of YouTube videos on how to test coils but Vintage Engine Repairs (a member here) reckons you actually need an expensive machine to test the electronic ones.

10 Series / 600 Series Electronic Ignition

Resistance – 20-25 Ω Primary (Switch to Ground)

2.5-3K Ω Secondary (High Tension to Ground or High Tension to Switch)

Inductance – 1.4-1.6 H Switch or Ground to High Tension

Capacitance – 0.15-0.18 µf

Mark
thanks Mark. I'm def not getting those readings on primary and secondary. don't have an oscilloscope for inductance and no idea how to check capacitance on this. think I'm calling it bad.

I would like to learn about this new to me saw. on the label it says Pro Mac 10-10S. does the 'S' stand for Special or Super? I googled some and read that it meant Super. I'm assuming it was an upgrade to the Pro 10-10 and they were both available at the time with the S model at a premium?

if so, what did you get for the extra money for the 'S' model besides 3 more CC's? was the porting more aggressive? they both seem to have weighed the same. and what was the "Special Edition" about? Were all 10-10S models Special Edition?

according to the Acre site, the S model was produced from 1982 to 1998. what changed over those 16 years? I have seen photos of several different air filter cover labels; I assume the one with the goose was the older production 10-10S and the one with the M logo was a later model?

as far as 10-10's in general, I see there were 10-10's, Pro 10-10's, Pro Mac 10-10's, Mac 10-10A's, Super 10-10A's and the Pro Mac 10-10S Special Edition. that's a lot for anyone to expound on but if you know of any reading material on the subject, I would like to find it. thanks!

s-l1600 (1).jpgsddefault.jpgPXL_20221010_182338209.jpg

I would like to learn about this new to me saw. on the label it says Pro Mac 10-10S. does the 'S' stand for Special or Super? I googled some and read that it meant Super. I'm assuming it was an upgrade to the Pro 10-10 and they were both available at the time with the S model at a premium?

if so, what did you get for the extra money for the 'S' model besides 3 more CC's? was the porting more aggressive? they both seem to have weighed the same. and what was the "Special Edition" about? Were all 10-10S models Special Edition?

according to the Acre site, the S model was produced from 1982 to 1998. what changed over those 16 years? I have seen photos of several different air filter cover labels; I assume the one with the goose was the older production 10-10S and the one with the M logo was a later model?

as far as 10-10's in general, I see there were 10-10's, Pro 10-10's, Pro Mac 10-10's, Mac 10-10A's, Super 10-10A's and the Pro Mac 10-10S Special Edition. that's a lot for anyone to expound on but if you know of any reading material on the subject, I would like to find it. thanks!

View attachment 1023040View attachment 1023041View attachment 1023042

Basically Mac did a lot of label art and marketing. Pretty much a 10-10 came as a 54cc right hand start and then left. With the dome style filter. Then flat style then came the pro mac which is electronic ignition. The S is 57cc before the S was around that engine existed as the pm55 and another I can't pull out of my brain. The goose label was just marketing. Its all marketing on the supers and all the others too. Yes the S is ported more aggressively it's not really the CC it's the porting

I say this all the time but find an old early 70s 10 series and put in the S engine. Very light and 100percent worth it 20191130_112859.jpg20191130_112834.jpg
That was originally a right hand start 10-10. Need to swap over the PM starter but it had better paint. The older Mac 10 stuff is lighter in every casting. By quite a bit

I have several 10-10's. One you missed was the 10-10 Super which was a right hand start. Many models were made in several configurations. The older 10-10's had a different air filter configuration that is hard to come by now days. As far as difference in a 10-10 and a 10-10S is 54cc V 57cc. The 10-10S has a compression release to aid in starting. The 10-10S seams to be a smoother saw and better power than the older 10-10's and a quieter muffler with a longer chain guard that covers the muffler.
My 10-10S is my go to saw. If I am cutting wood it is usually with me along with a PM800.

Brian

Basically Mac did a lot of label art and marketing. Pretty much a 10-10 came as a 54cc right hand start and then left. With the dome style filter. Then flat style then came the pro mac which is electronic ignition. The S is 57cc before the S was around that engine existed as the pm55 and another I can't pull out of my brain. The goose label was just marketing. Its all marketing on the supers and all the others too. Yes the S is ported more aggressively it's not really the CC it's the porting

I say this all the time but find an old early 70s 10 series and put in the S engine. Very light and 100percent worth it View attachment 1023051View attachment 1023052
That was originally a right hand start 10-10. Need to swap over the PM starter but it had better paint. The older Mac 10 stuff is lighter in every casting. By quite a bit

This type of ingenuity has lead me to picking every 10-10 I see out of the trash ,Haha. Never know what someone has tucked into the covers.

Iron bore is one thing that changed over the years as well as Safety features and throttle locks.
Most manufacturers have been doing this same thing for years Homelite xl-12, xl-12 super, big red , husqvarna 162,262,362xp , ect .
Small features that make a saw meet compliance or a few upgrades and TA'DA! NEW SAW! Some aren't really even noticeable but ,I have to say the performance of the "S" is definitely renowned.
I'm not exactly sure what the difference is in the 57cc porting is but I have 2 PM55s and the "S" seems stronger? Maybe it the electric ignition.

another thing that just occurred to me. my SP70 was made in 1976 or 77 and has a full AV system. this Pro Mac 10-10 S was made between 1982 and 1998, I believe the latter end of that period and has zero AV.

another thing that just occurred to me. my SP70 was made in 1976 or 77 and has a full AV system. this Pro Mac 10-10 S was made between 1982 and 1998, I believe the latter end of that period and has zero AV.

It's more in the homeowner range AV we're pro models.

The 57cc models (PM55, 555, 570, 10-10S, 10-10S Special Edition) have more aggressive porting than the 54 cc 10 Series models and perform much better. I'm sure someone that has studied them very carefully could identify a number of differences but I can't say much off the top of my head.

As noted the early models (55, 555, 570) were iron bore and points ignition but there were also transition models of the 555 and 570 with electronic ignition. I don't know if there were transition chrome bore saws but the 10-10S models were all chrome bore and electronic ignition. Some early pistons did not have the locating pins for the rings and you cannot always depend on an IPL to give you the correct data for your saws unless you match the model and serial number from the IPL to the saw in question.

The PM570 is the AV version of the 57cc saws.

The Special Edition models frequently were equipped with more socket head fasteners (hex or Torx).

If everyone will send me their NOS and NIB 57cc saws I promise will carefully catalog all of the differences and publish my findings for all to enjoy. I probably won't remember to send your saws back...

Mark

Latest posts

Back