McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is even a special muffler that has the outlet rotated 90 degrees to direct it away from the operator.

20230103_112721.jpg

I connected the stop switch after taking the photos. While I don't plan on using it, I did want to make it fully functional.

The manual recommends against felling trees larger than 6" in diameter...

Mark

Reminds me of a Monkey Wards "weedeater" that my dad & grandpa had back in the early '60's.It had a blade on it & if you weren't careful while cutting down tall grass under the electric fence it'd cut through a 4 in.cedar fence post without batting an eye.Smoked like hell,didn't have to worry about mosquitos,Lol.

I ended up putting the 10-10 muffler on the 555 & I think it was an improvement in that it directs the exhaust downward & away from the operator instead of blowing the exhaust upwards into your face as the original mufflers did.I had to dress the bar a bit.Put some fuel in it & after 15 pulls it fired up.It definitely sounds like a Mac! The compression is low,I can start it without using the DSP,but I'll use the DSP because it's easier on the recoil & me.

I also got the PM5700 today,this saw is a different story.I put a new fuel filter in it along with fuel & had no luck in getting it to fire other than on a prime.The recoil ended up locking up on me so I'll have to pull that off & the carb for most likely a rebuild.This saw had very little use,it has 180 psi.Of course there are some people who should NEVER have a saw in their hands.The bar was burnt pretty good due to being either too stupid or too lazy to use the manual oiler,which works just fine.It took quite a bit of dressing to get this bar back in shape.This will keep me busy for a bit.I'd have liked to get pics on here today,but it was pouring rain here all day.Maybe tomorrow.

I did properly configure the shoulder straps with the assistance from the manual and put it on just to see...glad I don't have to use it all day. If I were to use it I would definitely move the connection a little closer to the powerhead, as it is the blade end wants to pivot up so you have to put some additional pressure on the handle to keep it down.

For now, I think it will do just fine hanging from the ceiling in the display.

20230105_090959.jpg

Mark

I have a big old craftsman 37cc brush cutter, its awkward, heavy,and hot.
When I clear alot brush 2" and up it does the job!
I had one of those from the 80's. They were quite torquey, still way lighter than that Mac 250 trimmer or the 041 trimmers. There is a super 250 trimmer on Ebay now.

The Super 250 brush cutter has been up there for many weeks, at $1,400+ I guess it will be there for weeks to come.

Mark
The guy offered it to me for $675, but I was just curious about it, not truly interested. Its way to heavy and overpowered for anything I'm now likely to tackle.

The PM5700 is biting me in the butt.The recoil got locked up while trying to start it.I took it off today & retensioned it & now it works fine.I pulled the carb off & put a new kit in it to no avail.I pulled the carb back off & lowered the metering lever a tad & then it held pressure better.I noticed the carb mounting gasket had a slight tear by the ear.It should've been OK,but to err on the side of caution,I put another gasket on & it still won't pull fuel.I'll try another carb & if it still won't fire I'd have to assume there's an intake issue.The saw has 180 psi.& it fires on a prime.

I did properly configure the shoulder straps with the assistance from the manual and put it on just to see...glad I don't have to use it all day. If I were to use it I would definitely move the connection a little closer to the powerhead, as it is the blade end wants to pivot up so you have to put some additional pressure on the handle to keep it down.

For now, I think it will do just fine hanging from the ceiling in the display.

View attachment 1046394

Mark

Am I the only one picturing some rando walking in, pointing up, and saying "lemme see that"

*sigh* let me go get a ladder... 😆

2023 North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day today in North East Tennessee.

I haven't reported in a while due to the lack of MAC action. Not that we haven't been busy, just MAC deprived.

Brian and I together with another fellow with the Firewood Ministry spent the morning fabricating some log bunks for the deuce which took much longer than expected. Brian and I made to the woods around 1:00 after a hearty meatloaf lunch.

We have had a lot of rain that left the ground too soft for pickups and trailers, but almost perfect for the old army truck. Top of our agenda was bucking and loading a large red oak that we skid out in the drizzling rain last week. It was one heavy beast. The red oak - 55' to the first limb.
IMG_7437.JPG

Brian with his 805 cutting a 12' section off the little end.
IMG_7439.JPG
IMG_7446.JPG

The tractor just barely lifted it high enough to load - around 2300#.

Brian cutting the next section with his 805.
IMG_7447.JPG
It proved too heavy so Brian whacked 32" off of it.

We then cut a shorter section that just reached the two bunks. It proved a real dangerous challenge loading so we quit while we were ahead. We will have to cut the remaining 25+' in shorter pieces and either trailer it out or remove the bunks from the truck. We took the truck down the hill and topped it off with some lighter dead red oak, white oak and ash that we bucked - Brian using the 805 and me using his 1010S.

As I said the red oak was heavy. We used a D7H to pull it out. The first attempt was a failure. We had the choker double hooked to spread the load. One of the hooks spread instead - just as well as the chain was almost severed. Fortunately, I had enough sense not to hook to the 1/2" quick link. BTW that was once a grab hook though it now looks like a stretched slip hook.
IMG_7436.JPG

We made it on the second attempt but tweaked a 3/4" shackle in the process. The D7H.
IMG_7432.JPG

Be safe,
Ron

Update on the 5700 - I got it running somewhat.I clipped off about 3/16 in.off the fuel line where it goes on the carb on the 5700 & it fired up! The only thing is the carb is NFG,as Bob used to say.In order for it to rev up I had to turn the lo screw out 2 full turns,it should only be 1-1 1/4.Then the hi screw won't stay in the carb,it falls out.Due to the lo being turned out so much it won't idle even with the idle screw turned in all the way.Fortunately I just bought another carb on feebay about a week before I bought the saw (premonition I guess).I got it for a good price & it holds pressure.I'll do a carb swap in the next few days.There were 2 issues with the saw not wanting to start - a bad fuel line connection & a bad carb.

Bob Kern - Our big, old maple trees all seem to be hollow.

View attachment 1047057

Ron - I can only dream about a log like that. I think I would get weak in the knees with an opportunity to buck in into firewood lengths.

Mark
Here's a new one on me but I'm sure you have 1 or 2......Screenshot_20230107-224920.png

Bob Kern - Our big, old maple trees all seem to be hollow.

View attachment 1047057

Ron - I can only dream about a log like that. I think I would get weak in the knees with an opportunity to buck in into firewood lengths.

Mark

Mark, that will be in our wood lot next weekend. Come on out and we can put you to work on it and several others. We have got plenty of ash to cut and buck, and may even find you another big oak to fell and buck like this one.

Brian

Back