McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2023 North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day today in North East Tennessee.

I haven't reported in a while due to the lack of MAC action. Not that we haven't been busy, just MAC deprived.

Brian and I together with another fellow with the Firewood Ministry spent the morning fabricating some log bunks for the deuce which took much longer than expected. Brian and I made to the woods around 1:00 after a hearty meatloaf lunch.

We have had a lot of rain that left the ground too soft for pickups and trailers, but almost perfect for the old army truck. Top of our agenda was bucking and loading a large red oak that we skid out in the drizzling rain last week. It was one heavy beast. The red oak - 55' to the first limb.
View attachment 1047025

Brian with his 805 cutting a 12' section off the little end.
View attachment 1047026
View attachment 1047027

The tractor just barely lifted it high enough to load - around 2300#.

Brian cutting the next section with his 805.
View attachment 1047028
It proved too heavy so Brian whacked 32" off of it.

We then cut a shorter section that just reached the two bunks. It proved a real dangerous challenge loading so we quit while we were ahead. We will have to cut the remaining 25+' in shorter pieces and either trailer it out or remove the bunks from the truck. We took the truck down the hill and topped it off with some lighter dead red oak, white oak and ash that we bucked - Brian using the 805 and me using his 1010S.

As I said the red oak was heavy. We used a D7H to pull it out. The first attempt was a failure. We had the choker double hooked to spread the load. One of the hooks spread instead - just as well as the chain was almost severed. Fortunately, I had enough sense not to hook to the 1/2" quick link. BTW that was once a grab hook though it now looks like a stretched slip hook.
View attachment 1047029

We made it on the second attempt but tweaked a 3/4" shackle in the process. The D7H.
View attachment 1047024

Be safe,
Ron

I think I am converting Ron over to a PM 10-10S. On the second round of loading, down where the smaller stuff was I offered him the PM 805 to cut with, but he chose to walk to the side X side and get the PM 10-10S and cut with it. He seams to like it a lot...Ha Ha Ha. It is a great little saw.

Brian

There is even a special muffler that has the outlet rotated 90 degrees to direct it away from the operator.

The muffler on my later model Super250 allows for rotation of the deflector via part #31 which is an adjustable stainless steel clamp.

Untitled.jpg

My father’s gear drive (640???) had a muffler with the hose clamp and rotating outlet.

Brian is correct, his 1010S is a great saw.

Mark, Iowa got the corn and a few trees. We got the trees and a bit of corn. Seriously, I wish all on this thread could spend a day with Brian and me when we had a lot of wood down. Though I get aggravated when production is slow, overall running a chainsaw is fun and good therapy for me.

Ron

"Here's a new one on me but I'm sure you have 1 or 2......"

IMG_3860 (640x480).jpg

IMG_3861 (640x480).jpg

Easy to use too...with the saw running full speed you just reach under there with a screwdriver and release the catch to press the stone against the chain then instantly reset the latch to prevent it from grinding the teeth completely off in one go.

Mine is set up with Oregon 80, .404 auto-sharp/power-sharp type chain.

Mark

"Here's a new one on me but I'm sure you have 1 or 2......"

View attachment 1047281

View attachment 1047282

Easy to use too...with the saw running full speed you just reach under there with a screwdriver and release the catch to press the stone against the chain then instantly reset the latch to prevent it from grinding the teeth completely off in one go.

Mine is set up with Oregon 80, .404 auto-sharp/power-sharp type chain.

Mark
Figured you had one.

Just picked up my first (FR 2.1); I'd love to know what the model name was when it was originally manufactured.

Dropped a manual request in the manual search thread.

This saw is very similar to the one I used many years ago, when I was in high school. Diced up a lot of wood with that puppy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230102-183906.png
    Screenshot_20230102-183906.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230101-153827.png
    Screenshot_20230101-153827.png
    779.1 KB · Views: 0
They had quite a few different names for those models. Yours appears to be a 35 or 38 cc model with the spring mount anti-vibe system. Sometimes referred to as a 3516, 3816, etc. Also referred to as an Eager Beaver 2316 Super, the later Pro Mac version was called a PM3505. There was an SE (Silver Eagle) model or two as well as several 32cc models with no spring AV.

The FR2.1 is the Factory Reconditioned 35cc if they tagged it correctly.

This is the PM3505 which was probably the last model released. While some still produced after Jenn Feng bought the name, most were assembled in Mexico with USA and Mexico parts when McCulloch was employee owned with headquarters in Tucson.

20200416_182918.jpg

20200416_182926.jpg

Mark

Both are good saws if they run. 10-10 is a 54cc saw. The 7-10 is 70cc in the same frame as the 10-10. Nearly all the parts will interchange. There is every part youd need on ebay from pistons to seals, to gaskets, to bolts. Cylinder also if youre willing to pay for it. The 7-10 is my choice of the 2. They are very good saws. Great power to weight ratio. Yes its rigid frame and has a vibration but boy they sound great and have good power. If you want to hold.onto a 28" bar it will handle it.

I've have the itch for an old Mcculloch saw without paying an arm and a leg for one. I found an 10-10 Automatic and a 7-10A. How are these models? How hard is it to locate parts for a 7-10? I see 10-10 on ebay all the time.
I last 10-10A I purchased was 10$ out of a scrap bin at a small saw shop. It needed about 40$ in maintenance parts to run tip/top. ( about my 5th one like that)
A 7-10 is a desirable saw and sought after, if you can get one for a decent price I'd say go for it.

This. I thought maybe I just didn't understand the question at first. :D
I was wondering myself.... Much like the hobbits in Lord of the Rings with meals I have come to realize of the 10 series Macs there is First Mac, second Mac, and sometimes 3rd mac. First is for the shelf, second to use, third for parts (which ends up a runner then you need a 4th Mac lol.)

Point in case... Yesterday I went and bought a local complete 10-10S and a box of 10 series carcasses. Like I need more parts or saws lol. that makes like 5 10-10S saws I have now LOL

Thats how we all start. And yes that junk one runs great just needs a few small parts. So then its in the mix and they keep coming. I say that as if it is a bad thing but its a fun hobby and doesnt generally make you spend a lot of money. Lots of donations once people know you enjoy it.

Then you start mixing parts and build a new saw. 7-10 engine put into a sp81 frame. So then its a sp7-10?? Or a 7-10 fuel tank and cylinder put into a cruddy g70. In a sense g7-10. They mix and match well. Youll just have to figure out the little differences and reverse engineer a little.

Been thinking of a sp70 mixed up with a gear box from a g70?!! A SPG70? i hate to tear apart a perfectly good saw but i think it would be cool. Antivibe gear drive ten series. Custom built one of a kind.

Latest posts

Back