McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like it's lead a pretty easy life so I suspect a quick carb cleaning and freeing up the clutch which is seized on for some reason will leave me with a dandy little saw to tuck into a dry barrel for campfire wood on multi-day canoe trips.

Same here. That seems to be the norm. I'm guessing these things ran like such a$$ when they were new that they got very little use. And most of the people that bought them were simple homeowners that just wanted the smallest saw they could find to cut up twigs and roots. Anyone who wanted a real top handle bought a real saw :laugh:

McCulloch 130 owner

Since there is already a MAC thread dedicated more towards the larger saws I'm starting a thread dedicated to the 38cc and under crowd. All mini's, power mac's, 3200 series and all the smaller late models bring your questions, comments, concerns, pics and etc here. We will see if we can straighten your saw out before you flip it in the garbage or prop open your nearest door.:cheers:

Thanks Overtrained, and many others for contributing to this useful thread/sticky. I just got my first MAC130 today. The owner said it'll run for about 15 minutes then dies. I'm still checking things out. Found the spark plug was loose with gas around the base. The filter looked OK but has some open holes so I'll replace it. Pulled the muffler and things look good there with loose rings and no scarring visible. The chain is wore out but overall the saw is in real good shape including the 14" bar.

Any thoughts on what would make it die after running for "about 15 minutes"?
Just how long will this little saw run on a tank of fuel?

Arrow13

Need some MacHelp Please

Picked up a Mac Cat 2.3ci. 38cc saw the other day. Piston and cylinder looked pretty good, compression good. Cleaned carb, replaced fuel line and she fired.

My questions are,
1. Where can a model number be found?
2. She smokes like a freight train and it smells like burnt oil, not a running to much pre mix smell. Carb adjustment doesn't clear it out, Im running 40:1. It does have manual oiler. Im not sure if it has an automatic until I tear deeper into it.
Oil tank and fuel tank are separate so I was wondering if it has some type of automatic oiler that is affiliated with crankcase pressure, and it its filling the cylinder from a bad valve or something.

Any help would be appreciated. Gave $10 for it with a case, very nice chain, bar etc. I may not mess with it much more depending on the suggestions you ladies or gents have as I have no info on this saw.

Need some MacHelp Please

Picked up a Mac Cat 2.3ci. 38cc saw the other day. Piston and cylinder looked pretty good, compression good. Cleaned carb, replaced fuel line and she fired.

My questions are,
2. She smokes like a freight train and it smells like burnt oil, not a running to much pre mix smell. Carb adjustment doesn't clear it out, Im running 40:1. It does have manual oiler. Im not sure if it has an automatic until I tear deeper into it.
Oil tank and fuel tank are separate so I was wondering if it has some type of automatic oiler that is affiliated with crankcase pressure, and it its filling the cylinder from a bad valve or something.

Any help would be appreciated. Gave $10 for it with a case, very nice chain, bar etc. I may not mess with it much more depending on the suggestions you ladies or gents have as I have no info on this saw.

Not sure about the problem. But a pic would be nice :msp_biggrin:

Thanks Overtrained, and many others for contributing to this useful thread/sticky. I just got my first MAC130 today. The owner said it'll run for about 15 minutes then dies. I'm still checking things out. Found the spark plug was loose with gas around the base. The filter looked OK but has some open holes so I'll replace it. Pulled the muffler and things look good there with loose rings and no scarring visible. The chain is wore out but overall the saw is in real good shape including the 14" bar.

Any thoughts on what would make it die after running for "about 15 minutes"?
Just how long will this little saw run on a tank of fuel?

Arrow13

Points been checked recently? They may need to be cleaned. I have a mini that does that and it's starting to run a lil cruddy, I'm pulling the points next.

Need some MacHelp Please

My questions are,

I just got rid of one of these saws, I didn't take note of it but it most Likely has an auto oiler along with the manual oiler( just like all mini's/pm's) that may be your source for oil leakage into the crank case.

Don't accept an inferior copy, stick with the real McCoy.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/176142.htm

Thanks for the laugh Ray. I hadn't though about that thread in a while.

190337d1310450552-mc200t-jpg

Points been checked recently? They may need to be cleaned. I have a mini that does that and it's starting to run a lil cruddy, I'm pulling the points next.

I haven't got into it that far yet but I plan to. I'm thinking of replacing the points with the Nova II, seeing as they sound like a good way to go. Are you planning to do the same?
Also, do you happen to know if these Nova II units are specific to particular engines or are these non-specific/generic?

Will

I haven't got into it that far yet but I plan to. I'm thinking of replacing the points with the Nova II, seeing as they sound like a good way to go. Are you planning to do the same?
Also, do you happen to know if these Nova II units are specific to particular engines or are these non-specific/generic?

Will

Yep I like the chips and as long as you aren't using them in a Stihl saw you won't have a problem on any McCulloch

Yep I like the chips and as long as you aren't using them in a Stihl saw you won't have a problem on any McCulloch

Thanks! Great to hear the chip will work well.
I gotta ask, what happens to the Stihls with chips? Can't recall reading about it in other threads so far...still reading them

Will

Just got my two NOVA II units in the mail, and put one of them on the 110. Gapped the plug @ 020. Nice blue spark !!
Now I just need the carb kit to arrive, then I can put her back together and teach my 10 year old how to use a chainsaw with a 12" b/c and an ANTI-KICK chain ....... all I have is Stihl RS chains ................ might go to Home Dumpo to pick up the anti-kick chain ............ cant believe I said that :msp_ohmy:

Where are you mounting the chip ?
Under the flywheel, or does it need more cooling and has to be put elsewhere ?

Heres the ONLY spot you really have room to mount the ignition chip under the flywheel....they are thermally protected. The only other option I see is to run wires outside of the case and mount it in daylight, it will look backasswards:D
2h2jad0.jpg

Thanks Dennis !!
I thought it might not get enough cooling there, but if youre putting yours there, mine is getting bolted right there too !

Newbie here, registered just for the chainsaw tech found here. I've got a Mac 3516 that a friend gave me. The primer bulb needs replacing, does anyone have a part number for the bulb? Or suggestions on where to get one from? The saw also pours bar oil out the bottom, but I havent pulled it apart yet to see where it is coming from. I want to get it running for use on smaller stuff when I dont feel like getting the ol' Stihl 041 farmboss out. Thanks!

Newbie here, registered just for the chainsaw tech found here. I've got a Mac 3516 that a friend gave me. The primer bulb needs replacing, does anyone have a part number for the bulb? Or suggestions on where to get one from? The saw also pours bar oil out the bottom, but I haven't pulled it apart yet to see where it is coming from. I want to get it running for use on smaller stuff when I don't feel like getting the ol' Stihl 041 farmboss out. Thanks!

welcome to hell

the 3516 has a very common primer bulb walbro p/n 188-512
your probably going to have to replace the fuel lines aswell ID is 3/32" i forgot what the OD is

the 041 back in the day was a muscle saw i'd put a carb kit on it and new fuel lines, frist i'd put some fresh mix down the carb and see if it lights off

also, when you get around to tuning the 041 it needs to be tuned RICH to make any power that goes for almost any "old saw"

Last edited:
Newbie here, registered just for the chainsaw tech found here. I've got a Mac 3516 that a friend gave me. The primer bulb needs replacing, does anyone have a part number for the bulb? Or suggestions on where to get one from? The saw also pours bar oil out the bottom, but I havent pulled it apart yet to see where it is coming from. I want to get it running for use on smaller stuff when I dont feel like getting the ol' Stihl 041 farmboss out. Thanks!

Dave's post above will help you with the primer bulb, I also suggest replacing the fuel lines when you break the saw down to fix the oil problem.

Most likely the oil pick up line(which is the same size as the fuel line) rotted from the tank to oil inlet on the oil pump. This being said your oiler is prob not working.

Back