McCulloch Super Pro 81

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been to Tennessee since last May. Honest.

Just messing with you. Mine doesn't have a gas cap.

McCulloch claims these put out more ponies than a PM850. Other than the design of the exhaust port I don't know what the internal differences are. I'm hoping a ported SP81 will outperform a stock PM800.

Check for a PM. Ron

Just messing with you. Mine doesn't have a gas cap.

McCulloch claims these put out more ponies than a PM850. Other than the design of the exhaust port I don't know what the internal differences are. I'm hoping a ported SP81 will outperform a stock PM800.

Check for a PM. Ron

The PM800 does have an odd exhaust port. The is, I guess what you would call, a compression relief machined into the top of the port. I think that it would hurt overall performance. I didn't really like the design the first time I saw it. Why didn't they just put a compression release on there instead of altering the exhaust port. Does yours have the funny exhaust port since it has the compression release? The SP81 does not have that, so I think that it would be capable of higher compression than the PM800. My new SP81 cylinder doesn't have that funny exhaust port either. I will try and get some pics of both so people will know what we are talking about.

The PM800 does have an odd exhaust port. The is, I guess what you would call, a compression relief machined into the top of the port. I think that it would hurt overall performance. I didn't really like the design the first time I saw it. Why didn't they just put a compression release on there instead of altering the exhaust port. Does yours have the funny exhaust port since it has the compression release? The SP81 does not have that, so I think that it would be capable of higher compression than the PM800. My new SP81 cylinder doesn't have that funny exhaust port either. I will try and get some pics of both so people will know what we are talking about.

From post 33 at http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/150624-3.htm#post2503609 are my pictures of ports.
150624-3.htm

Ron

I just picked this up on CL. Looks like a real nice saw. I talked with the owner and he said that it runs great and has good compression. I gave $70 for it. I thought that it was a good price, considering what it would have went for on ebay.
3kc3mf3pd5O15T35Re99rcf10a61eccc616.jpg

3m73pf3l25Qc5R55Sf99r7ce6f9708fda1e.jpg
Trouble is, you never know what they will go for on ebay. It might be $15 or $500 depending on when it's on there. I sold 2 almost identical saws, one went for a great price, the other I got nearly nothing out of.

Those pics show the ports well. Where did you get that NOS block?

My best eBay buy - $9.95. Regular MAC part seller didn't know what it was and listed it as unknown. I ask for bore measurement. Seller responded but didn't change description and no one else bid.

There was a recent one listed as a PM800. Seller said it was too late in the sale to change the description. He said he would advise the high bidder. It sold for $79.99. I believe if it was listed correctly it would have brought more.

Ron

Nice CL grab. I've watched Ebay for a couple of years now, looking for a nice one, they usually bring $200 or more! Most of the ones from the west coast probably spent time in the woods, not a good history for a 30+ year old saw.
I finally found two locally on CL. Was able to test drive, and haggle with the owners, now I'm an owner. SP 80 with aweome comp. and a PM 850, a little long in the tooth, but always runs, and still pulls pretty good. They BOTH need A/V cushions up front. The SP 80 is now my first pick for a firewood saw. Keep the pics coming!!

I note you have the older 12 fin flywheel. I don't know which is best the 12 or the 24. I have the 24 but one of the fins is chipped.

I didn't know that there were two different flywheels. I will have to go look at all my spares and see if I have one of the 24 fin flywheels.

I looked through all my 10 series flywheels tonight and found that I did have one 24 fin flywheel. It's a lot heavier that the 12 fin. I think that I am going to stick with the 12 fin, mostly to keep the weight down.
IMG_20110126_205330.jpg

IMG_20110126_205503.jpg

Well the carb that came on my SP81 is the fixed jet walbro sdc. And that's not gonna cut it for me. So, I have another sdc that is adjustable and that has a much bigger venturi.

Here is a pic of the fixed jet carb that came on the SP81.
IMG_20110126_212400.jpg

Here is a pic of the new adjustable one that I will be using.
IMG_20110126_224028.jpg

Here are some pics of the venturi. There is hardly no taper. It's as big as the sdc that's on my SP125.
IMG_20110126_224118.jpg

IMG_20110126_224124.jpg

I did have to swap out the fuel inlet on the new carb to one like that came on the SP81. It had a plastic inlet in there that wouldn't work with the factory SP81 fuel line.
IMG_20110126_224100.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious how you managed to pull the fitting from that carburetor without destroying either, what's the secret?

Mark

+190,482 What is the secret? I've tried to remove one before and broke it... :bang:

I used a grease rag and a pair of lineman's pliers. The rag prevents damage to the fitting. Then just give the fitting a little twist back and forth to pull it out.

Last edited:
I'm curious how you managed to pull the fitting from that carburetor without destroying either, what's the secret?

Mark

+190,482 What is the secret? I've tried to remove one before and broke it... :bang:

Mitch,

I was contemplating doing that to that carb, but I didn't have the stones to do it, that carb was too new to ruin.

Nice work.

Chris

Yesterday I managed to get some work done on the 81. I removed the crankshaft and connecting rod from the old engine because I will be using them in the newer cylinder. I was able to install the new piston assembly to the connecting rod and remove the old crank seals. I also started decarboning the exhaust port and cleaning up some casting marks to get ready to port it. The only thing that is limiting this saw is that the exhaust skirt on the piston is narrower than the intake. So I don't know how wide I will be able to go on the exhaust yet. I will post some more pis tonight.

Back