McCulloch Super Pro 81

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stay in one spot, while I find someone to come over and smack the back of your head.

Should I put a skull bucket on? If so, I'll have to go buy one as my Dad's old full rim fiberglass from his days with TVA disappeared shortly after I was married and after my bride straighten up her new home. I'm sure my cheap plastic one wouldn't hold up to the blow. :msp_crying:

Should I put a skull bucket on? If so, I'll have to go buy one as my Dad's old full rim fiberglass from his days with TVA disappeared shortly after I was married and after my bride straighten up her new home. I'm sure my cheap plastic one wouldn't hold up to the blow. :msp_crying:

just a smack, no fractures, mostly noise.

That thing sounds good and sure seems top pull strong. How do you think that compares to your 925?

I wish that I could say that it was better, but my 925 is modded. It turns 12,500 rpm out of the cut and 9,600 rpm in that same log with a 28" bar. It's just faster.

http://s716.photobucket.com/albums/...cks GTG 09/?action=view&current=stipesmac.flv

This was from a GTG we had and the SP80...Look at the chips she dumped out....Aint nothing like a Mcc my friend...Hope you have alot of enjoyment outta your SP81!!!

Special thanks to Levi and his wonderfull wife for saving this......

That saw cuts good.

Nice...I think i'm sending you my 922 then. They are strong already though

All I did was widen the exhaust port and remove the baffles that are in the muffler. I also removed the base gasket from under the cylinder and dissabled the governor on the tilly HS carb.

I actually just went threw my 922 this past weekend. Instead of using the tilly hs I put a larger sdc meant for a homelite 1050/1130 series. Bolted right on with no mods to saw or linkage. Fired it up today and seems to be a great runner. Wonder how it will be in the wood. Only issue is its a non adjustable h version but seems to 4 stroke nice still up top. When I get a better place to work I would like to try my hand as some more mods like porting etc. Should be a stronger runner though as is. Also the muffler is gutted.

resurrecting an old thread!

I also recently picked up an older Super Pro 81. Pretty pumped about it...but it's got some age on it. I of course tore it all apart for no real reason. Has about 140-150psi compression from what I can tell so far. Piston isn't scuffed at all...but cylinder walls don't look super stellar.. Wondering if anybody has any leads on good places to get parts for these old saws? Not having any luck with saw shops locally so far.

For starters, I'm looking for some AV mounts, the starter/recoil plastic guard, air filter, muffler, etc..

I also picked up a Pro Mac 700. It's seen less use..and better shape. But so far seems to have a gas leak somewhere. I haven't investigated much yet though other than knowing it has a puddle under it.

Any experience with these two saws...thoughts/opinions?

Thanks!

I had some luck with Randys Small engine repair. Also get yourself a IPL, many parts on macs fit others saws, clutch, etc.
Check Ebay, had good luck there too.

I also recently picked up an older Super Pro 81. Pretty pumped about it...but it's got some age on it. I of course tore it all apart for no real reason. Has about 140-150psi compression from what I can tell so far. Piston isn't scuffed at all...but cylinder walls don't look super stellar.. Wondering if anybody has any leads on good places to get parts for these old saws? Not having any luck with saw shops locally so far.

For starters, I'm looking for some AV mounts, the starter/recoil plastic guard, air filter, muffler, etc..

I also picked up a Pro Mac 700. It's seen less use..and better shape. But so far seems to have a gas leak somewhere. I haven't investigated much yet though other than knowing it has a puddle under it.

Thanks!
Post on the McCulloch sticky, lots of great guys and good info on there. I have a PM700, awesome saw!! The SP81 is one I am keeping an eye out for, they are very nice. Keep them Macs going! I have several 10-10's as well.

You may have to search through the entire McCulloch thread but there are several good discussions in there regarding the anti-vibe 10 Series saws including Joeymt33's discussion of the different part numbers associated with the anti-vibe mounts.

Search e-bay for parts you need, other internet based search engines will help as well. There are a lot of parts out there for the older McCulloch saws if you will search diligently.

I added a genuine SP81E recently, currently disassembled for clean up and inspection to see what all it really needs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Thanks for the tips guys! I ended up buying 3 old saws from same guy...one was the SP81... also picked up an older Pro Mac 700...and my buddy took a 10-10 auto. I'll definitely need to be effective at finding parts. I'm pretty excited about the old saws though. I've got the super pro stripped down already...for no real good reason other than I can't help from doing that when I get a new toy. PM700 is in real good shape..and runs like a champ.

Here's the Super Pro 81:
IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

And the Pro Mac 700:
IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

Don't have pics of the 10-10 Auto

I found some IPL's which will help a lot. Will keep looking for parts. Some AV mounts, a recoil grille, and muffler are the main things I need for the SP81.

So 2 general questions...from you guys' experience:

1. What would you expect compression to be for each saw? I measured about 130-140psi on the SP81 and 140psi or so on the PM700. SP81 has seen lots more use than the others.. exhaust side of piston looks great..no scuffs. But from what I can see, cylinder walls look a little questionable..

2. What do you think each saw is worth? I picked them up not really knowing much about them...but thanks to this forum, decided to pull the trigger anyways.

THANKS!!

Thanks!

Your PM700 fuel leak is probably the fuel line where it passes through the wall in the tank/carb box. Common. NOS and new aftermarket lines are easy to find.

An SP81 in great shape may top out over 185 PSI but @ 150 will still run very well. The PM700 will be lower to start with as they were somewhat de-tuned compared to the earlier models like the 7-10.

Try Fayetteville Repair and M and D for parts, Google if needed.

Mark

An SP81 in great shape may top out over 185 PSI but @ 150 will still run very well. The PM700 will be lower to start with as they were somewhat de-tuned compared to the earlier models like the 7-10.

Try Fayetteville Repair and M and D for parts, Google if needed.

Mark

Thanks for the lead! I think Fayetteville Repair might be where it's at. I'm going to email them a parts list and see what kind of luck I have.

Any other opinions on what these are worth?

Latest posts

Back