McCulloch Super Pro 81

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the lead! I think Fayetteville Repair might be where it's at. I'm going to email them a parts list and see what kind of luck I have.

Any other opinions on what these are worth?

We try to stay away from that question. They're worth what the seller and buyer agree on...:givebeer:

You must have a lot of cash and a ton of patience ...
That was several years ago actually the service was good. I think I have heard others say they had a problem there but I didnt. I didnt spend much I only needed a couple small things. Ebay proved to be a better place once you knew what exact parts fit what and had an IPL to confirm....

Henry - Nice to hear from you again, seems like it's been a while.

I made some progress on the 81E last night, I will try to get it together to the point I can check the timing of the stock ignition set up compared to an electronic coil off a later model saw since it seems to bolt right up.

More later...

Mark

That was several years ago actually the service was good. I think I have heard others say they had a problem there but I didnt. I didnt spend much I only needed a couple small things. Ebay proved to be a better place once you knew what exact parts fit what and had an IPL to confirm....

Randy's eBay parts selection is second to none. My only problems are that his prices are too high and the fact that it takes 3 days for items to just leave Ohio. What's up with that?

Thanks Mark, I'm still cutting and selling firewood, 98% with my Huskies, but not as much- I got a promotion at work and.....well saws got put on the back burner. Glad to be back, my SP81 still runs great even with stock ignition, jug and piston. Not sure what the compression is, but starting it without the decomp is nearly impossible so I would say its good!

Last edited:
Teaser...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Nice to see you post again Mitchell, seems like it's been a while.

As best I could determine, there is no difference. The older two piece does not produce quite a hot of a spark, but does actually advance the timing as the RPM increases enough that I could detect this with my variable speed drill spinning it over.

The newer one piece does produce a hotter spark, and has a more definite cut off point on the low RPM which seems better to prevent "kick back" issues at the starter when you are pulling it over.

I went into the details over in the McCulloch thread.

Mark

I shamelessly stole your concept Mark...hope you don't mind. It's already so much better than working on the bench. Mine turned out a little different...and more crude. This is what I ended up just based on what scrap metal I had laying around.. Cub Cadet yellow was the only color I had laying around...so that's what it got. Ignore the terrible weld job..and paint runs.. I had my 6yr old supervising my welding..should have just let him do it..

I'm going to drill another hole through the side of the main pivot, so I can rotate the whole rig 90deg...just forgot to last night.

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

Last edited:
Back