McCulloch Timber Bear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Urb- Thanks...I was thinking the cooling fins...didn't think of the carb charge...thanks. I have yet to tinker... that will be tommorow.

J

I was glad to see the post reopened. I have the same problem with the leaking oiler. I never bothered trying to fix it because i still get enough oil on the chain. I have the 20 inch GB bar becuase it helped to lighten it up a bit. I still use the saw, but have a MS 361 now and just use it as the back up and in between sharpening. Is the oil leak a seal issue and can I get a new seal. Have a plastic pan under it while storing.

This thead is making me proud to be a member of the timberbear club. Never thought it oiled quite rite,may put some thinner oil in it and go cut some wood with it for old time sake.:cheers:

New Timber Bear Owner

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I got a free Timber Bear the other week. After reading some of these posts, I decided to try to get it to run. I discovered that the choke tube was broken, so I made a new one (I did not know that they were still out there plus I like the challenge), and it runs!

I cut some fire wood with it two days ago... I think I'll keep it!

Like this post was originally started years ago, anyone got a manual for these?
I would like to be able to take good care of it.
Thanks.

Like this post was originally started years ago, anyone got a manual for these? I would like to be able to take good care of it.

Congratulations on your saw, just be aware it will not be your last! You might try the "Beg for Manuals" "sticky" at the top of the page. You want to try your luck with a couple more?

I need to take the clutch off my Timberbear. I got the nut off - turned it clockwise. Does the clutch come off the same way- clockwise?

Then my oil tank is leaking there wasn't a gasket . Seems like I saw a thread about sealing it up but can't find it. What kind of sealer would be best to use?

The oil line is shot too- whats the best line, Tygon? Any kind of line I can get at the Auto Parts store?

Ive got a rare one..I think....I have McCulloch 3.4.....I think this was the very last of them......its refurbished/made in mexico. Ill go take a pic of the label. My oiler isnt working either....got a new oiler diaphragm from Randy's cleaned the oiler out and still nothing comes out......so now to check the line....it wont even oil with the manual oiler button.:help:

I need to take the clutch off my Timberbear. I got the nut off - turned it clockwise. Does the clutch come off the same way- clockwise?

Then my oil tank is leaking there wasn't a gasket . Seems like I saw a thread about sealing it up but can't find it. What kind of sealer would be best to use?

The oil line is shot too- whats the best line, Tygon? Any kind of line I can get at the Auto Parts store?

I don't remember on the clutch off hand, sorry.

Sounds like you got the oil tank off already? Thats a PITA is it not?

Your correct there was no gasket from the factory and while you can use several different sealers I think its best to make a gasket out of some gasket material like the factory should have done.

Sealers will work but you have that oil passage running through it and its hard to keep the sealer out of it.

A piece of tygon will be fine for the oil pickup line.

Ive got a rare one..I think....I have McCulloch 3.4.....I think this was the very last of them......its refurbished/made in mexico. Ill go take a pic of the label. My oiler isnt working either....got a new oiler diaphragm from Randy's cleaned the oiler out and still nothing comes out......so now to check the line....it wont even oil with the manual oiler button.:help:

If you can replace that oil line without removing the tank your a better man then I am.

Read my above post when you do remove the tank and you might as well as most all of them that I have been around have a leaking tank anyway.

I got one of these saws last week, actually a 610 from a member here.

I really think that it's not a bad running saw at all.

It's smooth and starts right up, pulls that 20 inch bar just fine.

It's big and ugly though, but what do I care all my saws are on the heavy side, and I like that anyways.

I kind of like it when my saws kick my ass. That's the way it should be.

I can see why most have the chain brake removed, I kind of thought it was strange to have to remove the brake to put a B/C on it.

Big and ugly, yes
Weak oiler, yes
Last saw Mac put out before they went to hell, yes

Do I like this saw, yes

I wouldn't pay a lot for one, but they are worth a few beans to get running

Chris

I got one of these saws last week, actually a 610 from a member here.

I really think that it's not a bad running saw at all.

It's smooth and starts right up, pulls that 20 inch bar just fine.

It's big and ugly though, but what do I care all my saws are on the heavy side, and I like that anyways.

I kind of like it when my saws kick my ass. That's the way it should be.

I can see why most have the chain brake removed, I kind of thought it was strange to have to remove the brake to put a B/C on it.

Big and ugly, yes
Weak oiler, yes
Last saw Mac put out before they went to hell, yes

Do I like this saw, yes

I wouldn't pay a lot for one, but they are worth a few beans to get running

Chris
Just managed to start and run an old Stihl 041, built about the same year as my Mac 610 Timber Bear. The Mac is better built, just as powerful, weighs about the same, but it has a good chain brake that works. It's also more reliable and starts every year. I'll take my 1978 Timberbear any day over the Stihl 041:

Mac610-1.jpg

Mac610-2.jpg

Sorry, Stihl, you lost this battle back in 1978. That's MHO.

Doctor, you'd better be ready to duck in case any Stihl fans read that.

Don't you know that the 600 Series McCulloch saws are only one small step above the Mini Macs in terms of hated saws here?

I accidentally ended up with one, which lead to 7 or 8 now in the posession of my older son. They fit him well; heavy, loud, slow, durable, and still running strong after 25 years of neglect.

Mark

...600 Series McCulloch saws...I accidentally ended up with one, which lead to 7 or 8 now in the posession of my older son. They fit him well; heavy, loud, slow, durable, and still running strong after 25 years of neglect.

Mark

I literally LOL :laugh:. I'm guessing that your older son doesn't read AS, or has a really good sense of humor.

He spends his time with music, movies, and video games but is always willing to help when there is wood to cut or saws to work on.

He knows how others feel about the 600 Series, but he's delighted to have some saws to call his own.

Here he is firing up the rebadged Montgomery Wards version of the 610.

173294d1298304499-dscn3037-jpg

His favorite saw in the line up is his Timber Bear, which not coincidentally is the only one that we've replaced the rings.

Mark

Last edited:
I think it has already been mentioned, but there were several different models with the Timber Bear tag, just like there were several with the Eager Beaver tag; it is always necessary to make sure you are getting one of the 600 Series saws and not a China Mac unless that's what you want.

Mark

Doctor, you'd better be ready to duck in case any Stihl fans read that.

Don't you know that the 600 Series McCulloch saws are only one small step above the Mini Macs in terms of hated saws here?

I accidentally ended up with one, which lead to 7 or 8 now in the posession of my older son. They fit him well; heavy, loud, slow, durable, and still running strong after 25 years of neglect.

Mark
Mark, I am sure I have tromped all over the old Stihl 041 owners, but that's the breaks. The Mac 610 is a better saw for numerous reasons, besides the chain brake that the 041 never had on board. I've worked on both of them in the shop. The Mac 610 comes out in front.

The whole carb assembly and throttle linkage to the trigger that Stihl used for the 041 back then was a joke and designed to disconnect. The spark plug was positioned as poorly as you can imagine, buried deep in the handle. The 041 vibrated like a cement mixer, forcing owners to glue the machine screws.

Hey, I still love the old Mac 610s. Not until the Stihl MS 361 was released did I really think Stihl made a better chainsaw in about the same class. That's why I bought one, even though it cost me four times as much money as my Mac 610 did back in '78.

Back