McCulloch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mange

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Where is the id number on Mac super33 and Power mac 6.
I havent looked under cuvers, but i cant find anything that shows.

mange

Got me, I went out and looked all over my PM6 and can't find the #'s on it. I thought I found them once before when I had it torn apart but I can't be 100% positive on that, it's been so long ago.

McCulloch numbers

I don't know if this will help,but I have a little mac 120,and the numbers are on the bottom of the saw[decal].On most of the reed valve engines,it was on the bottom of the stuffer,see the picture[left side,hard to read 44a ]

On the PM6 should be under the air filter cover don't know about the Super 33. Later Butch

Thanks for the tips, but I still can`t find them.
I will take a super 33 apart soon perhaps I see something then.

Mange

Mange, you want to be a dealer, I recall. What are doing wearing your life out on such junk as in this post? One of the hard lessons I had to learn as a starting dealer 25 years ago was to politely pass on wasting any time such stuff.

PM6s are the worst of the worst. All you need to know about them is to carry them straight to the junk heap.

I don't mean to be impolite, but you are wasting your effort. Anything you learn on that old junk will be of little value on modern saws.

Reply to tony

I don`t think you understand. And I will not explain.
Just don`t think you know all circumstances, That would not be smart of you.
From what i read here you strike me as fairly inteligent.
You don`t have to prove me wrong.
Is this how you deal with your coustemers?

Mange,
Don't let Tony spoil your experiance with these old saws. The patience and knowledge you gather by working on them and making them run is well worth your time spent. Its not rocket science to make any 2 cycle engine run I don't care what it is. You need to know the basics spark, fuel, compression etc and if it takes a PM6 to lean them by then go ahead.

And yes I do have a running PM6 I can start it up right now, easiest small saw to repair I ever laid my hands on!

My 35+ year old 050, 075, 090 aren't fundamentally different from any of todays modern saws. Just less refined... Besides how obsolete can the 050/075 powerhead be if Stihl is still making for demo saws?

Chris B.

Mange, yes that is how I deal. I don't allow people to leave junk with me to fix that I have to chase parts for, that mostly means obsolete models of brands that I do not sell, and specially brands that are no longer in business.

One starts doing that and you can easily rack up a high repair bill on a saw worth nearly nothing. I get all I want on brands I do sell and can easily get parts sent to my door, mostly next day.

There are guys around who try to work on junk. I keep a list and send those customers down the road to them.

I am writing to you as if you have ambitions of being a dealer as you posted earlier. If that is a wrong assumption, then I would change my recommendation to; work on whatever old stuff you want. But my guess is that you will quickly tire of it.

Tell you what Tony, how about every time you want to send an early PM6 or PM6A to the scrap, just put it in a box and send it to me. All of those great big old righthand start macs? They're good too.

My bone-weary 1-71 ate an 064 stihl when i put the two saws head to head. I've got all the parts to put the motor back together now, all I have to do is get the money to buy a little welding job it needs.

Those old Macs may be a pain to chase down parts for, but remember, they're a good rugged saw. Their cast iron sleeves will take MUCH more abuse than a stihl and live.

Were it not for that mac, the saw industry would not be what it is today. and that little power mac 6? look at every small top handle saw (other than arborist models) and what do you see? PM6! My great uncle has been a mechanic for many many years, and he has a high opinion of it as a saw. It's small, well constructed, balanced, and powerful for it's size. I have yet to see Russ endorse a bad product. I just got my first pm6 today. it's not all that difficult to work on. some areas are a little tight, but remember it's the first saw of it's type, and noone knew how to build crap at that time. Just like a space shuttle, that's allotta stuff to cram into a small area.

Tony Snyder

What saws do you sell?
If someone wants help, Why not help?

Whats the oldest saw you can service?

Dont you think there is people here too yhat thinks like you.
I dont say its wrong to think like you, Many salesmen do, its just not for me.

I like any saw, Big, old, electric, odd brands, Who cares.
Fire them up and listen to their song....

Mange:blob2:

just got my first pm6 yest'd'y but if i were to guess i'd say under the air filter.

Nice customer service ya got there

When I first started fooling with these noisy contraptions I didnt know jack about em. I went to a couple places and ended up at a guys place who sold everything from field run onions to chainsaws to riding mowers and everything in between. He took some time on more than one occasion to look at my "POS", show me what was wrong, and how to fix it myself the next time. When time came to buy New saws, I went there without even thinking. I bought lawnmowers, weed wackers, chains, oil, a dump truck, flowers and plants in the spring, ladders, and whatever else I mighta needed that he might have. I am sure I coulda saved quite a bit going to wally world, but he treated me right and I tried to do the same. He did know saws, inside and out and almost every brand.

Unfortunately he passed away, the new owners are happy to sell you a saw. Only 1 brand they carry. If it breaks, dont bring it back. Sell new chains, no more sharpening. Look at your saw for you, new or old? not a chance. I dont go there for anything anymore. ???? shame.

Everybodies got a different way to operate.

johncinco

I am trying to be like that old gay, I like to call it investing. if I give that little extra it shows, and I think it pays off in the long run.
All the other dealers/ shops around here say like the new owners.
I had a man here today that orderd 30 cubik meters off firewood,
Just for he hade a nice time here last week.
I think service gets as good as possible here. If someone wants something, and pays me to find it so why not. he gets happy, and I get payed, everybody happy.
i once met a blacksmith that used to work for free, when they handed over the mony, he simply said: I have a some just like that in my bed, more of them, and it wont be comfterble.

Mange

Mange,

If you are going to be a dealer, I still advise that you have got to learn what you can make money on, and what is just going to cause you grief. I'm just trying to help you. Doing things just for the challange will wear you out pretty quick. It will also steal time away from those that bought their rig from you.

There are a couple of important issues with that old stuff 1. Chasing after the parts, and 2. They often don't stay running very long. There is often enough wrong with them that the guys back shorty with a different problem that he expects you to fix for the same money. I would hate to count the number of times that I have sold a bar, chain and sprocket for one of those old rigs, then the guy has got money invested,( maybe $70 in a $10 saw) then the next week he is back with a running problem that you can't fix. He expects you to bail him out because he has spent money with you.

Again, you just gotta learn what will get you into a money loosing, or bad will situation.

If you a playing, its one thing, If you aspire to be a dealer as you mentioned, it requires a whole different mindset.

BUT, there is that one happy customer that relays his good experinces with his friends. They show up at your shop needing a new item or help with a old one. They relay their good experince to others. See the trend. It just keeps growing. Then again you sell new saws, you get someone in the door that needs a carb kit in thier old saw, one do you say its junk here is a nice new one for BIG $. Or make good customer relations with him by getting a kit and putting it in. Then when he returns to get his saw that now is running you explain that someday it my need to be replaced because the older they get the harder its to find parts for. Look at the big picture not the only new narrow only way of it.
I sell old tractor parts besides milking cows. I have many people call me lookingofr stuff just due to the fact I take time to listen and point them in the right direction if I do not have what they need.
Later
Bob

Sommige mensen enkel don't krijgen het, maar ik ben blij om u te zien doen. Goed geluk met uw nieuwe inspanning. U hebt de juiste houding

Whoops, My bad. No online translators to Swedish. Anyway, Some people just don't get it. Sounds like you have a good attitude towards people and being in business for yourself. I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor.

Last edited:
Thanks all of you.
I havent started company just yet, soon, but not now. All I done so far has been just (for) fun.
I said befor that I am in a special position right now, it is hard to explain in Swedish, so I wont even try in Eng.

Mange

Back