McCulloch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piggy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a McCulloch 1838. Seems to be a good homeowner saw. I would appreciate any input. If negative please explain your reasons why.
Piggy

Bring it back. Get a Husky or a Stihl. Macs are cheap, disposable JUNK.

Welcome to the forum Piggy.

Probably no one here has any familiarity (or would at least admit it) with that saw (found on the WWW <a href="http://www.mccullochpower.com/chain_g.htm">here</a>).&nbsp; 38cc is probably a little small for full use of an 18" bar, but if the chain is kept sharp and the saw isn't left sitting with fuel in the tank between the occasional use it's designed for, it could do all you want and last for several years.

You will probably want to replace it when the time comes with an Electrolux(Husky/Jonsered/Poulan[but probably not that last one]), Stihl, Dolmar, Solo, or Efco.

If it's your first saw it's probably a very good investment.&nbsp; If you tear it up before you get the hang of how to use one, well, just think of the alternative of doing that to an "expensive" saw.

I don't think anyone can say how well put together those saws are, or how long they'll last.&nbsp; They're a fairly new design as far as I know, and at the farm supply store here that used to sell Homelite, there's one on the shelf.&nbsp; I forget which one it is, but it's less than $200 by a bit.&nbsp; I've picked it up and given it the eyeball a couple of times and it seems to be in a different league than the Stihls with which I'm familiar.&nbsp; I'd venture to guess that it's mostly like the Bic lighter type of saws Poulan shelves at Walmart.&nbsp; That's probably okay for a great many users, but again, they aren't "talking" much here.&nbsp; Is the saw made in Taiwan?

You may have guessed I'm not too impressed with them, but that doesn't mean I think you did wrong.&nbsp; In any event, it's likely not a unit that would be a good candidate for major repairs when the time comes.

Get one of the stamped steel Oregon chain file guides and one of their depth gauge filing guides.&nbsp; There are several sizes, so be sure to get the right ones.&nbsp; Learn how to touch up the chain and keep it sharp at all times.&nbsp; Maybe you can let us all know how the saw works for you.

Enjoy.

Glen

I enjoy the humor but actually am looking for facts such as. Is something plastic that should be magnesium etc.

On that one, I'd have to say I'd rather lug lightweight durable plastic around than brittle (and heavier) pot metal.

I actually have a few cheapo poulans ("Patriot") that I bought a few years ago, also your "bic lighter" type of occasional use homeowner saws, and yet those have so far withstood three (almost 4) years of hard professional use. Not too bad for the $88 apiece I paid for them at Wal-Mart (no kidding!).

I have had my share of macs, and have always found them to be lacking in most respects, even for occasional use. Carb problems seem to be their biggest flaw. But that's just MY humble opinion.

I put a new chain on and adjusted the carb the other day on one of those cheaps Macs for someone. It ran well. It had been going a few months. I could honestly not find anything wrong with it.

Now the other side; I would not buy one because of the parts and service issues that a buyer would run into down the road. That would make it a throw away deal.

I was in my local Jonsered/Efco/Echo dealer's shop last fall, a fellow had one of those little Mac's in for repairs and was quite dissapointed to learn that it was not repairable in any way.

The guy in the shop had determined that there was a leaking seal causing a lean condition. The store had already signed themselves up as an authorized service center for Mac saws, but was unable to get the right parts. The "official" Mac response was that they would trade whole units, but not repair defective ones. Defective units would be shipped to a service facility, probably offshore, where they may or may not be "repaired" and released to somebody like harbor freight.

It appears that big-box retailers are encouraged to sign up local stores to be service centers for some product, but probably only to inspire customer confidence that problems will be handled. 98% of units sold will likely perform adequately considering that many will see only limited use, and will never require service anyway...after a few years of disuse, they will see the dumpster.

The "Authorized" service guy gets to lose a few bucks stocking air cleaners, gas caps, and spark plugs, but hopefully gets it back when the guy trying to get another use out of his old wally-world special throws the towel and starts eyeing up the better stuff.

To answer the original question: your little Mac will serve you well enough if you keep it clean, sharp and learn safe, effective work habits. It has limits, to be sure, but the most common limit is how long fuel mix can be stored in it and the unit still be expected to perform well.

I am aware of one that has produced about 5 cords of firewood for a retired gentleman...this guy burns up a tank of gas, splits the necessary pieces, loads into a wheelbarrow, then into a trailer behind his car, then home, about 2 days a week, whenever the weather isn't too bad. In his application, the little Mac is possibly as good a buy as any other chain saw. As I opined, the biggest enemy is bad gas, and this saw never sits long enough for the gas to get bad.

Just the other week after felling a nice 23 Dia red oak my brand new 346xp Husky sprocket broke. It was Sunday of course. I had to finish the job with my back up "Eager Beaver 16". The saw looks like a toy and produces a snicker from any one that sees it in action. It however has at least 35 firewood cords under it's belt. The only parts/repairs needed to date: 3 chains. The pro saws are nice and the parts can be replaced, but the cost to replace the parts is very expensive, making them disposable as well.

Back