McCullouch Super Pro 81E Value...What's it Worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getsum

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

I used this site to help research parts when I bought my Super Pro 81E at a farm auction; it helped quite a bit.

The saw was covered in quite a thick layer of dust and mudobber nests...but had been stored inside the whole time. I took it home and washed it up and was surprised to see the saw could not have been used much. All the original stickers were there as was the paint on the muffler. I commenced to tearing it down and troubleshooting what was wrong with it. It had no spark so I had to research and find a new coil...that was fun but I finally found one for $70. I had to replace all the gas lines and tear down the carb but beleive it or not the thing now runs like a raped ape (never raped an ape but I'm told they run quite fast if you try). I quickly learned the value of the decompression button...liked to rip my arm off when I forgot to push it while starting. :msp_unsure:

With a 28in bar and 89cc motor it is a bit much for anything I need...which finally leads to my question; what is the saw worth? I looked online and could not find a single one for sale, just people trying to sell parts and manuals.

I would give the saw an overall 8 of ten stars. It has all the original paint, OEM parts and is 100% operational; there is zero bogging and went through a two foot oak log smiling. About the only fault are some scratches in the paint on the base. I can take pics/video if needed.

Any help would be appreciated! Lee

89cc motor? I run my SP81 with a 28" bar and it rips. The SP81E is only worth about $50 though due to a bad design of the piston return spring and muffler bearing. Where should I send the $50 to? Just kidding its a great saw with electronic ignition as I recall, not points like mine. In nice shape I think a Mac collector may pay $300-500? Other mac experts here prolly know better. Pics would help.

82cc. I have never seen a SP81E for sale, but I have seen plenty of SP80s $50 on CL up to maybe $200 on eBay. The SP81E is the immediate predecessor to the PM850 and was only made for a short while. See Model Profile: Super Pro 81E. Prices for PM850s are all over the lot from $50 on CL up to $450 on eBay. If I were collecting MAC's Super Pro series saws, I would pay a premium for a fine SP81E. I don't know anyone who does, but surely someone is as it would be a small collection but have some great saws: SP40 (not so great), SP60, SP70, SP80, SP81, SP81E, SP105, SP125 and SP125C. Ron

CC mistake

OK, a bit off on the CC's, dyslexic fingers! I'll snap some pics and post them tomorrow.

Another reason I am considering selling this saw is it scares the crap out of me; and no, I am not a puss. I have cut plenty of wood as we have always heated with wood only...probably 3-4 cords a winter. This 28" bar is just too freaking big for any of the stuff I cut and the power... it feels like it wants to cut everything in half. Would you recommend putting a shorter bar on it and just using it? I have a load of 20" chains and bars are cheap....:msp_confused:

I'm currently using a Poulan 2700 with a 20" bar and have been for the last 3 years; only problem is it bogs a bit when buried in hickory. I know Poulan has a bad rep but this saw starts and runs when my buddy's saws won't.

Thanks for the reply, Lee

A 28" takes some getting used to if the longest you have used is a 20" - some love longer bars (I run 28"s more than any other size) and some love shorter bars - just depends on your cutting style and wood. You can get 20" and 24" but NOS (new old stock) bars in these lenghts are getting harder to come by although there are a bunch out there just not for sale apparently. If you put a 20" bar on it I would recommend changing to a 8 pin sprocket so you can put that power to use in a hurry; it should easily pull it. Ron

dr_evil_.jpg

One Meeeeeeeeelllllllllllliiiiiioooooooooonn Dollars...

Sorry. I don't like these "what's my saw worth?" threads.......especially when started by new members. Too often they're just somebody trying to gather info for a CL or ebay listing......and drum up some enthusiasm for the sale while they're at it. Even reads like a CL or ebay listing. "Scares me". "Too much saw for me". "Runs like a raped ape":rolleyes:

Last edited:
I agree

The 28" bar is like walking around with a woody all the time...always worrying about what you might run into. The 20" is just easier for me to handle when de-limbing and for 90% of my cuts. My buddy and I both heat with wood so we gang-bang free wood jobs and take turns on the loads.

Thanks for the advise on the sprocket, I probably would not have thought about that.

Lee

dr_evil_.jpg

Sorry. I don't like these "what's my saw worth" threads.......especially when started by new memebers. Too often they're just somebody trying to gather info for a CL or ebay listing......and drum up some enthusiasm for the sale while they're at it. Even reads like a CL or ebay listing. "Scares me". "Too much saw for me". "Runs like a raped ape":rolleyes:

Sold! Would you like another at half price? Ron

dr_evil_.jpg

Sorry. I don't like these "what's my saw worth" threads.......especially when started by new memebers. Too often they're just somebody trying to gather info for a CL or ebay listing......and drum up some enthusiasm for the sale while they're at it. Even reads like a CL or ebay listing. "Scares me". "Too much saw for me". "Runs like a raped ape":rolleyes:

Wow...

Or they could actually have the saw and are being honest. Thanks just the same though.

Wow...

Or they could actually have the saw and are being honest. Thanks just the same though.

Happy to be of service. Grow a thick skin or don't hang out here with the guys. These threads have been popping up more and more. They grow tiresome. I was just being honest myself. Never said you didn't have the saw......

Happy to be of service. Grow a thick skin or don't hang out here with the guys. These threads have been popping up more and more. They grow tiresome. I was just being honest myself. Never said you didn't have the saw......

Since you have one, what do you advise? What size bar have you run on yours and what is your experience with each? I don't have tons wrapped up in this saw and it runs great. How is it's reliability over the long haul? Thanks Austin, Lee

Since you have one, what do you advise? What size bar have you run on yours and what is your experience with each? I don't have tons wrapped up in this saw and it runs great. How is it's reliability over the long haul? Thanks Austin, Lee

I have a 32" sprocket nose bar on it now. Check out my earlier post (answer to Ron). I added a few pics of my saw during an edit. When I got it the saw was wearing the 28" roller nose that's on the PM700 next to it. When I got the PM700, it had the 32" bar. Switched them, as it just plain made more sense. The PM700 is a 70cc saw.

What cutting do you plan to do with the saw? For most uses, a 24" bar would be great. That's what I'm putting onto my PM700 soon. Good reach, without it beeing so awkward. If I had a 28" sprocket nose, I'd probably put that on the SP-81. That 28" roller nose needs a bit of rehab work, and I'll put it aside for GTG's (Get Togethers) and other fun stuff. It's just too cool to wear out in everyday use. The only reason why I don't plan on putting a 24" bar on that SP-81 is that I have other saws (namely the PM700) which will fill that bar length nitch just fine. Once you get a buttload of saws like many of us here................they become like clubs in a golf bag. A different one for each individual need...:D

An SP-81 will pull a 28-32" bar with a 7 pin rim with no problem. 20-24" would go well with an 8-pin, although I'd probably stick with a 7-pin with a 24" just to be easier on the clutch. These saws rev well enough that you don't need to go to a taller rim to step up the chain speed. Having said that.................I do plan on playing with my SP-81 with an 8 or 9 pin rim with a short sprocket nose bar for some FAST cutting for fun someday. Welcome to the club. Keep the dang saw. Don't sell it. Just get more 'clubs' for your bag later. Shot some welcome rep to you as you looked naked. Glad to be proven wrong.....:cheers:

Last edited:
Well. I have a 32" sprocket nose bar on it now. Check out my earlier post (answer to Ron). I added a few pics of my saw during an edit. When I got it the saw was wearing the 28" roller nose that's on the PM700 next to it. When I got the PM700, it had the 32" bar. Switched them, as it just plain made more sense. The PM700 is a 70cc saw.

What cutting do you plan to do with the saw? For most uses, a 24" bar would be great. That's what I'm putting onto my PM700 soon. Good reach, without it beeing so awkward. If I had a 28" sprocket nose, I'd probably put that on the SP-81. That 28" roller nose needs a bit of rehab work, and I'll put it aside for GTG's (Get Togethers) and other fun stuff. It's just too cool to wear out in everyday use. The only reason why I don't plan on putting a 24" bar on that SP-81 is that I have other saws (namely the PM700) which will fill that bar length nitch just fine. Once you get a buttload of saws like many of us here................they become like clubs in a golf bag. A different one for each individual need...:D

An SP-81 will pull a 28-32" bar with a 7 pin rim with no problem. 20-24" would go well with an 8-pin, although I'd probably stick with a 7-pin with a 24" just to be easier on the clutch. These saws rev well enough that you don't need to go to a taller rim to step up the chain speed. Having said that.................I do plan on playing with my SP-81 with an 8 or 9 pin rim with a short sprocket nose bar for some FAST cutting for fun someday. Welcome to the club. Keep the dang saw. Don't sell it. Just get more 'clubs' for your bag later. Shot some welcome rep to you as you looked naked...:cheers:

Thank you, just the stuff I was looking for. Do you have a place you'd recommend to buy the 24" bar and chains? Sounds as though you have enough saws to have a supplier. Same for the sprocket, do you know where I can find one for a saw this old?

I am in the midst of buying either a hardy or shaver furnace (separate conversation all together...but throw in your opinion if you have one) so the majority of the use it's getting is simply firewood; but lots of it. We had a bad ice storm here 3 years ago ans a drought stressing kill this year and have no problem getting big wood for free. My buddy and I are currently looking at least 30 oaks in the eyes, a several are 30+ inches. They are seasoned, are usually felled and most importantly they are free. My saw will see lots of simple up and down action; the faster the better. If this saw is something I can use without having to worry about cutting off my leg then I want to, this 28" bar just has to go though.

Thanks for the insight, Lee

P.S. Thanks for the credit reps, hope to earn them.

Last edited:
Thank you, just the stuff I was looking for. Do you have a place you'd recommend to buy the 24" bar and chains? Sounds as though you have enough saws to have a supplier. Same for the sprocket, do you know where I can find one for a saw this old?

I am in the midst of buying either a hardy or shaver furnace (separate conversation all together...but throw in your opinion if you have one) so the majority of the use it's getting is simply firewood; but lots of it. We had a bad ice storm here 3 years ago ans a drought stressing kill this year and have no problem getting big wood for free. My buddy and I are currently looking at least 30 oaks in the eyes, a several are 30+ inches. They are seasoned, are usually felled and most importantly they are free. My saw will see lots of simple up and down action; the faster the better. If this saw is something I can use without having to worry about cutting off my leg then I want to, this 28" bar just has to go though.

Thanks for the insight, Lee

That's some big oak. I cut lots of big OLD oak that's already on the ground. Windfalls mostly. If you're cutting stuff that's already on the ground, then a 20" or 24" bar would be MUCH better for your uses. You can keep the 28" B/C in the truck for the really BIG wood. The old D276 bars aren't in production anymore. However, a D176 (Poulan/Echo/McCulloch) bar will work just fine, and they're still in production. You can get them from several sources. Ebay also often has bars. A 20" bar will take a 70 DL chain (unlike a Stihl or Huksy which take 72DL). A 24" bar will take an 81 DL chain (while S/H are 84DL). These DL counts are for 3/8" chain. You can get loops of chain in these lengths from several suppliers, including Edge and Engine and Baileys (who are both site sponsors). Same thing with the bars. I got my new 24" bar from private person who's not a site sponsor (and I therefore can't name him now). Sells on ebay sometimes though.

Does your saw have a rim drive sprocket (sepperate 'floating' rim)? If so, it should take the standard 'large' seven spline rims from Oregon and others. They're available in 3/8-7 and 3/8-8 for a few bucks. If you have a spur (or 'star') drive clutch sprocket (no sepperate rim), then you're stuck with what you've got, unless you scare up an NOS SP-80/81 drum (either rim-drive, or spur in the count you want) on ebay. The SP-80 and SP-81 McCullochs used a clutch setup that was differrent than any other saw (including the later 82cc Macs such as the PM800 and PM850....which use common 10-10 series clutches).

You can cut your leg off with any saw; buy a pair of chaps. The longer bar probably puts you toe more at risk - boots. Sprockets - Bailey's (link at top of page). I get my NOS MAC bars off eBay from this guy 24"McCulloch Bar & Chain For SP81 | eBay I don't believe this bar is actually a MAC as it has an adapter but it is probably either a Windsor or an Oregon both of which I believe were oem suppliers for MAC. The black bars he sells are NOS MACs but he doesn't have any short ones left and the long ones have almost doubled in price. 28" are still reasonable but you got one of those. He includes a nice Carleton chain with the bar- not all of the eBay sellers do that. Ron

Last edited:
Thank You

Thanks Ron & Eccentric, lots to digest. Getting late and have church in the morning so I am off for the night. I will start searching for the bars and chains tomorrow. I don't know why I never thought of changing the bar before today. That saw has been sitting on my garage floor, restored, for 8 months now and I have been bogging my way through some 20" logs with the Poulan for too long now. I am sort of excited to get a diffrent bar on it and cut the dog snot out of our next haul.

And I had just talked to my wife today about getting a new Stihl or Husky too. I may keep this under wraps and do both.:newbie:

Sorry. I don't like these "what's my saw worth?" threads.......especially when started by new members. Too often they're just somebody trying to gather info for a CL or ebay listing......and drum up some enthusiasm for the sale while they're at it. Even reads like a CL or ebay listing. "Scares me". "Too much saw for me". "Runs like a raped ape":rolleyes:

It sounds as though Getsum has attempted to research the value of the saw and found very little info, & several posts have confirmed that the 81E is very rare saw. ArboristSite has the best chainsaw forum on the internet; why not ask here?

Getsum does not come across as a "sneak seller," not that there are any of those on AS :msp_lol: :msp_ohmy: :msp_lol:.

Back