McCullouch Super Pro 81E Value...What's it Worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Ron & Eccentric, lots to digest. Getting late and have church in the morning so I am off for the night. I will start searching for the bars and chains tomorrow. I don't know why I never thought of changing the bar before today. That saw has been sitting on my garage floor, restored, for 8 months now and I have been bogging my way through some 20" logs with the Poulan for too long now. I am sort of excited to get a diffrent bar on it and cut the dog snot out of our next haul.

And I had just talked to my wife today about getting a new Stihl or Husky too. I may keep this under wraps and do both.:newbie:

If that saw is sitting on a concrete floor get it off ASAP. Concrete loves to eat mag saws. Take care of it and you'll have a lot of fun with it and you decide to keep it. Ron

I have an 81-E that is in a box, I need to get to it one of these days. .

What's holding you up kid? That old girls deserves to be put back into running condition and have her teeth sunk into a nice tree.:D

Mr. HE:cool:

Well, I put vapor barrier down on the crawl space floor, applied anti mildew stuff to the underside of the floor in the crawlspace. I put drylock on all the basement walls and painted the basement floor aside from the finished part which has some cheap carpet that was installed before we moved in. I also dug up half the drainage system because it would not flow. Turned out someone blocked about 85% of the main pipe with concrete for a fence post. . There is also 1/2'' cork on one of the walls in the finished part, between the carpet and the cork is where the problem lies I think.
Enough thread drift, back to the mccullochs, all I need to have mine running is the ignition stuff behind the flywheel.

Heres my one owner SP81:
Picture234.jpg

It was never sold. My dad worked for MC and brought it home to work on. They laid him off. He FORGOT to return it. Thats was 1976. Old saws are the schitt IMO.

Fed the Big Dog Today

Well I took her out of retirement today! I decided to see what the beast would do so I sharpened up the chain and made sure she'd start...haven't fired it up in at least 4 months and it started on the 6th pull.

My buddy and I drove to a friend of his neighbors where we were pretty much told to take whatever we wanted; she had 10 acres of woods that were damaged from the ice storm years back and hasn't been cut in over 50 years...big wood. We of course started with the delimbed red oak logs she had previously cleared. I was making 3 cuts to every one of my buddy's one. This SP81E freaking devoured the logs, I can't imagine what it'll due with a new chain as I have no idea how old the one on it is. The telling trait is the way it throws the sawdust out the bottom, the stuff was just pouring out...pretty cool.:hmm3grin2orange:

While the 28" bar still takes some getting used to it is not as intimidating as I imagined it would be. About the worst part was since the bar is so long, I really had to watch for what the tip was hitting on the other side of the log (lots of rocks here)...not so much of a problem when it came to the larger logs. My buddy just sat there and laughed as it tore up the larger ones; of course by the end of the day both our backs were trashed as we had to get the logs onto the trailer. All in all cut an 18 foot dovetail trailer, with 2 foot siderails, worth of seasoned oak and all it cost us was the gas/oil.

I think I'm going to buy a 20" and 24" bar/chain set-up and experiment with it some. Changing bars takes minutes but I still need to look into the sprocket and what is involved in changing it; I don't have any manuals so if anyone has one electronically they want to share I don't think Mcculouch will mind. I also need to replace a screw that vibrated out of the side cover and a bar nut that came off too; maybe locktite is needed due the high vibration? A self locking nut maybe or a lockwasher? Never lost one before.

Thanks for the mail and help, this is a good site with loads of info. Not sure how much I have to add but I will when I do. I'll get some pics uploaded soon. Lee

PM's sent

Thanks guys.

I'll play around with the sprocket & bar size and report what I find, at least from my own perspective anyways.

The gasket kit for the Poulan 2700 should be in this week so it too should be back up and running...another club in the bag albeit a less distinguished one.

Lee

Got Them

That helped, now I know more about the sprocket assy, I was an aircraft mechanic in the USAF for 25 years so I have a few minutes experience with tools.

This site is invaluable. Lee

I know this is a old thread topic however just wanted to thank you guys for posting as I'm thinking of buying an old 81 SP or bigger saw. I did buy an old 125 SP steel sleeve saw and still converting it for a milling setup.

I know this is a old thread topic however just wanted to thank you guys for posting as I'm thinking of buying an old 81 SP or bigger saw. I did buy an old 125 SP steel sleeve saw and still converting it for a milling setup.
Any tips on buying a new sprocket and bar for the old 125 SP? For that matter any other tips on parts for an old 125 SP or say a 81 SP.? Thanks in advance

Any tips on buying a new sprocket and bar for the old 125 SP? For that matter any other tips on parts for an old 125 SP or say a 81 SP.? Thanks in advance
On the 125, you can adapt a bar for stihl 880's using Cannon's little adapter washers and redrilling the oil hole. Some guys use large Husky bars too. I dunno on the SP 81, maybe there is a Poulan pattern bar that fits.

On the 125, you can adapt a bar for stihl 880's using Cannon's little adapter washers and redrilling the oil hole. Some guys use large Husky bars too. I dunno on the SP 81, maybe there is a Poulan pattern bar that fits.
Wow thanks for the tips sawfun for the fast tips will look into this.

Back