Mechanical friction device

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickytree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wanted some info from a experienced climber regarding these devices. What are there ad's and dis', which one to get and why? I use 13mm or maybe 12mm?

Just wanted some info from a experienced climber regarding these devices. What are there ad's and dis', which one to get and why? I use 13mm or maybe 12mm?

You are going to have to be more specific.

Which devices?

What are you using them for? Climbiing? Rigging? Safety?

What other equipment are you going to use them with? Tree climbing equipment or rock climbing equipment?

There are things that you can do with a friction hitch that you just can't do with a mechanical ascender. You can damage a rope a lot quicker with mech. ascenders if you are using mechanical advantage sytems.

I'm not saying i am an "experienced climber"... More of an "experienced tree faller out of"... I serve as a good "bad example".

But someone else may offer some help if you elaborate.

Rickytree, The mechanical splittails referred to in Sherrill are the ART products. These are very fine and efficient tools. These are definitely tools for advanced climbers.

There is much going on in the tree during your climbing and working that needs to become second nature for you to respond to. Friction hitches are less sensitive and, therefore, a better alternative during the learning process. Another downside of the mechanicals are high price and, in wet/dirty conditions, fast wearing parts.

I am a big proponent of the ART products but in my opinion, they are not for beginners and should not be used as a short cut for gaining strong basic climbing techniques.

Dave

Mechanical split tail

Thanks Dave for your input. I am a experienced climber and have a bunch of time saving equipment (mars bars, grcs, big shot). I don't mind the price of them but replacing parts instead of a length of rope for a split tail does concern me. Just looking for input on the ART products to save time and energy. Cheers!

Rickytree, My apologies, your bio gave no indication of your level of experience. (Pocket sandwiches? :confused: )

The ART products deliver as advertised. I get about 2 months per clutch; but I am self-employed and get to pick and choose the days I climb. A water/dirt combo on your rope will increase the wear dramatically. So on those days I opt for the VT combo.

I have heard people say that the VT works just the same as the ART. No way. When a lockjack is used in combination with a pulley on the TIP, moving on the rope is like magic. Smooth and effortless.

I use a lanyard to move the lockjack above me for ascents and clipped close in for working in the canopy.

Dave

Rickytree, My apologies, your bio gave no indication of your level of experience. (Pocket sandwiches? :confused: )

The ART products deliver as advertised. I get about 2 months per clutch; but I am self-employed and get to pick and choose the days I climb. A water/dirt combo on your rope will increase the wear dramatically. So on those days I opt for the VT combo.

I have heard people say that the VT works just the same as the ART. No way. When a lockjack is used in combination with a pulley on the TIP, moving on the rope is like magic. Smooth and effortless.

I use a lanyard to move the lockjack above me for ascents and clipped close in for working in the canopy.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave. Pocket sandwiches refer to a cash stack folded in half. I'm wondering how much for the clutches and how do you know it is time to change it? And what is the purpose of the lanyard for ascents? Thanks for the help!

The clutches are $35 US in Sherrill. You will know it is time to replace it when the Lockjack starts to slip, or the rope creeps through, while you are at a work position.

The lanyard below the Lockjack allows the use of both hands to pull for ascending. This works really well with the Lockjack; there is no set back as in most pulley-tended knots. You will have to determine what length is right for you. Best done with an adjustable lanyard until desired length is determined. Then tight, spliced eyes on the lanyard to neaten things up when that length is determined.

A lot of experienced people have not been able to get used to the Lockjack's feel. If you can, try to go to a show and try one before purchasing. And as always, start low, start slow.

Dave

Latest posts

Back