Media Cat Chain Letter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of them say 'Not for Mac', although, one or two had a Mac OS symbol on them (not that anyone on eBay might misrepresent, or over embellish, what they have). I assume that these would have downloadable PDF files that are readable on a Mac, like the Media Cat, even if the rest of the software does not load.

I have no idea about the date thing, which is why I asked if anyone ever ordered one. I suppose that it would be worth asking the sellers which edition these are.

Philbert

Most of them say 'Not for Mac', although, one or two had a Mac OS symbol on them (not that anyone on eBay might misrepresent, or over embellish, what they have). I assume that these would have downloadable PDF files that are readable on a Mac, like the Media Cat, even if the rest of the software does not load....

The newer v5.x format (if that's indeed what's on the eBay CD's) doesn't have a simple directory full of .pdf's for easy retrieval or transfer to a hard drive or other media. (At least I haven't been able to find it yet.) There's a process of "printing to file" IPL's or manuals using the software itself to achieve essentially the same result, though it is obviously OS specific and is limited to providing info for only one product (saw, whatever) at a time vs. just copying and pasting multiple files as with the v3.3 format.

And I'm tapped out on copies for anyone at the moment, though have sent out a few on the side to several folks hoping they'll step up and spread a few around.

I have yet to fulfill my obligation here. A few weeks ago I had wifey assist me with our first attempt, but it didn't work. Our friend / neighbor, who is pretty brilliant with computers, came by to assist us. For some reason, he had no more success than we did. I'm sure there's something simple we're missing here. I'm going to reread the v3.3 portion of this thread, to see if I can pick up on whatever that simple something might be.

Just do a data copy from the original disc, and make sure that it is on a dvd, of course.

Bad advice if the original copy is on a CD-R.

DVD to DVD works. CD-R to CD-R works. Either one to the other as a direct disc copy will not. You'd need to copy the content from of one format to hard drive as an ISO image and then burn it to the other format as an ISO. If you're lucky, that'll work to convert from DVD to CD-R. You'll need to use an app that creates ISO images, of course. I've done it with both versions (v3.3 and v5.x) with success, though somehow lost the auto install functionality on the copies. They still installed, but the .exe needed to be invoked. All that stated, I'm using and older Windows format and burning software. Newer stuff may circumvent the DVD/CD-R format differences, but I don't think so.

If the guys failing to make a copy, would just do a straight "copy" on their dvd suite would not have any trouble. When they go
trying to rearrange things, etc., then the problems arise.....

Again, not entirely accurate as it depends on the type of disc being copied. A DVD won't clone to a CD-R. Period.

And the date thing is a simple file that changes the registry entry affecting the expiration. A couple kb's at best and was introduced in the plain old CD format in the first place..., which was only around 690 meg total for the whole ball o' wax. Not a deal breaker in size for CD-R by any means.

The newest (and expiring) v5.x version (from 2013 and later) does require a DVD due to its 1.3GB size.

Sorry to confuse anyone with the facts, but...

Back