metal core lanyards?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvthetrobag

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about metal core laynards. Ive been thinking about buying one. Ive had guys tell me they could trap a climber in a tree.

I always use one...bit heavy but worth the added security.
As far as trapping you in the tree, a chain saw will cut through a steelcore in 3 seconds!

I think he means from a rescue perspective.

If another climber has to cut off your lanyard with a knife then the steel core would be most unfavourable.

It's a reasonable debate however the added security of climbing with steel core I believe outways the 1:? chance you'll need to be rescued.

A reasonable compromise would be to use a rope prussik as an adjuster and in the event of rescue the prussik cord could be cut. However I use mechanical adjusters and be careful, I prefer the daily security of the wire core over the possible never have to be rescues scenario. I have personally touched up with a chainsaw about 4 lanyards in my time and other than having to replace or repair it was no big deal.

Personal choice and look at the work you do. I do lots of palms, lots of blocking down and lots of cutting within mm's of my lanyard at times.

As far as trapping you in the tree, a chain saw will cut through a steelcore in 3 seconds!

So it only gives you a little protection from cutting your line? Imagine if they invented a cutproof line.

1/2 second would be more like it.....

A few years back, while working an ivy covered three trunked maple, one trunk of which had failed, we heard sirens. Turns out, about 3 blocks away,
an out of work logger was removing trees at his own house (or for a friend, I'm not sure) He cut his flip line, fell 40 feet, hit the roof, and died...

Moral of the story is: TITS....

"Tie in twice, stupid!!"

1/2 second would be more like it.....

A few years back, while working an ivy covered three trunked maple, one trunk of which had failed, we heard sirens. Turns out, about 3 blocks away,
an out of work logger was removing trees at his own house (or for a friend, I'm not sure) He cut his flip line, fell 40 feet, hit the roof, and died...

Moral of the story is: TITS....

"Tie in twice, stupid!!"
uaahhaa haa a haa he said tits, shut up
bevis he has a moral to his story yeah hahaahaahaa like he 's cool bet
he's gonna score yeah yeah ahaahaahaa :laugh:

Totally agree rbtree tie in twice, I have a steel core but use it very rarely these days almost always use long rope lanyard, check and double check its location when working the stem.
I do believe the steel core would protect you from nicks but not from slicing through.

I only use a steel core. I like the thought of be ing able to nick it and be OK.

Nothing is cut proof though. The steel used in these lanyards is a soft grade, to allow it ot be flexible and light.

Steel with a 3/8" Prussik. The line passes through the Prussik very smoothly and the hitch line can be cut very quickly in the very rare event of being trapped by your lanyard. I've nicked my share of lanyards, and wouldn't think of climbing without steel. The weight is no big deal, as the line is not that heavy.

I finally bought one last year and love it and agree it would
be better in case of nick and I love the adjust ability and
the fact that it is stiffer. The only time I would use my old buck
strap is when in a burning tree or near overhead conductors.

I love them. Mine got stolen last year and I haven't replaced it yet but they work great on large diameter trees and trees covered in ivy. Don't use it when your working around electricity though.

I love them. Mine got stolen last year and I haven't replaced it yet but they work great on large diameter trees and trees covered in ivy. Don't use it when your working around electricity though.

This always cracks me up. Do you know how much metal is hanging off your belt even without the wirecore? If you can't control a wirecore around power, you shouldn't be climbing around power to begin with. A rope lanyard can conduct power just as well in the right situations.

This always cracks me up. Do you know how much metal is hanging off your belt even without the wirecore? If you can't control a wirecore around power, you shouldn't be climbing around power to begin with. A rope lanyard can conduct power just as well in the right situations.

I hear ya there. I have always been told not to use a steel core lanyard when working around electricity as well as the manufacturer advising against using one around electricity. Whether it is a viable precaution or not, I can only go by what I have been taught and manufacturer's recommendation.

This is true, everything is to be considered conductive, unless it has a valid dieletric test sticker on it, fact.

I'm a little embarrassed to mention this but when I was a young climber I raked a large limb through a high electrical line. I notched the limb but still was not able to keep the tip out of the power line like I had planned. I was tied in with my climbing line and a rope lanyard. I was able to feel a slight stinging in my feet where my spurs were dug in to the limb I was cutting and knew there was no telling how many volts were coursing through me at that moment. Learned a valuable lesson that day. Sometimes I think it is a miracle that I lived long enough to learn some of the stuff I know now.

Last edited:
I'm a little embarrassed to mention this but when I was a young climber I raked a large limb through a high electrical line. I notched the limb but still was not able to keep the tip out of the power line like I had planned. I was tied in with my climbing line and a rope lanyard. I was able to feel a slight stinging in my feet where my spurs were dug in to the limb I was cutting and knew there was no telling how many volts were coursing through me at that moment. Learned a valuable lesson that day. Sometimes I think it is a miracle that I lived long enough to learn some of the stuff I know now.

+1
I am fairly certain that it is a miracle that I am still alive.

Love a steel core. would never go back to the old limp rope or buck strap. Just for the feel not to mention durability.

Nothing at all to be embarrassed about. Once I cut of my holding wood and fell a tree across two phases of a 25 kv 3 phase. Could have killed myself and my groundsman. As long as everyone can walk away (shuffle or hop with power) and learn something from it, its ok.

I wont use anything but wire core. We do mainly removals, lots of blocking out. I have seen one guy use a rope positioning lanyard. That was neat. Real easy to set up a double crotch for walking on wierd stuff.

Latest posts

Back