Military CUCV 1 1/4 ton 6.2 Diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like mine...

If you end up with one, check out the steelsoldiers forum, they really helped me a lot with mine.

The injection pumps don't like the new diesel, I run some two stroke oil in each tank to keep it lubed. The 24V system is nice for starting in cold weather, but the glow plug system is a rigged civy version with some kind of ballast resistor (i think that's what its called but don't quote me) that sends voltage to 12V plugs. if one goes out, the rest get his share of the voltage. they tend to mutiny all at once.

The 6.2 definitely gets a bad rap. Its not a modern diesel, but if you look at its competition at the time (the 6.9 international) it was a player. If you keep up with the maintenance it won't let you down, and even if it does the replacements are cheap.

Long story short, they leave the service with 4.56 gears. it will not cruise at 65. if you put 4.11s and tall tires it starts to get a little more friendly. I daily drive mine, but i very rarely get out on the highway and i've got 4.11s. I really like these trucks.

Bowtech,

http://www.colemans.com/milveh.htm

Thier website ain't updated regularly, but they get the CUCV's in quite often.

The only time I ever got to drive a CUCV was in 29 Palms on a bootleg beer run. SLOW! But they take a 500lb bomb crater in stride at 40 mph.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Deer Slayer is thinking of the old osmobile 5.7 diesels that were converted gas blocks, that were absolute pieces of ch!t, your right the 6.2 was a pure diesel design from the ground up.

Bingo. Those Olds "diesels" were garbage, on their good days.

Dad had a truck with a 6.2 and it run fairly decent. He took a turbo setup off a 6.5 and turned the pump up a little and it really woke up. IIRC the non turbo 6.2 had ~21:1 compression and the turbo 6.5 had ~17.5:1 and the 6.2 could actually be made to run stronger that the bigger engine. All of the above was for non-military units.

Back