Amsoil Saber 80:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duct Tape

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new here, in fact this may be my first post. Thanks for a great resource. Not trying to start another oil war discussion, I've seen way too many of those on ktmtalk and advrider.

I've reviewed a lot of premix and Saber threads here such as this one:
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...l-one-mix-80-1-100-1-affect-rpm.312455/page-3

But most say if they use Saber they're at 50 or 64:1, only a very few at 80:1.

I clear trails on dirt bikes and run Saber at 80:1. A large group of us have used this here in Colorado for several years. My reasons are clean top ends and power valves, plus the convenience factor. The 8 oz bottle is perfect for 5 gallon jugs plus they make a 1.6 oz packet I can carry on the trail which mixes perfectly with the one gal I can steal from from my 4 stroke buddies fuel injected tankers when I'm 10 miles short of my truck. Even my trail addled brain can keep track of that. No Ratio Rite.

Now I'm not sold with the same in my Husky 550 or Stihl MS211 and can certainly continue to carry some MSR containers with 50:1 whatever, but it would sure be convenient to use the same as on the bike.

Just interested in the long term experience/service record/etc of others who use 80:1 Saber. I realize others have strong feelings to the contrary and that's fine.

Thx much

Jon

When this was discussed more I think the consensus was that lean ratios like 80 to 1 will work on stock saws provided every other variable is spot on. If there is an issue with anything else on the saw it's a recipe for failure. Since Amsoil has proven to be less than useless for covering any issues that may arise I personally wouldn't do it.

Your 211 isn't a super high revver so if really needed you could run that on 80:1. The 550 is already tuned to the high end of stock performance and is quite a bit more expensive to repair so honestly I wouldn't chance it. And if you have a modified saw forget about it.

i wouldn't run that ratio in even a stock saw. the bikes have massive bottom ends in comparison and i wouldn't run that in a bike either although i have before. it works BUT you are sacrificing longevity. the problem with that is amsoil praisers don't whine until there is a problem. amsoil users either race and don't care about longevity or are bike polishers and don't put enough time on their bike to have an opinion on oil. 50:1 or 80:1 ain't gonna make much of any difference to your bike as far as top end cleanliness goes but dramatic difference in bottom end lubrication. i'd switch to 50:1 across the board and be happy a few years down the road when your bikes still run.

i wouldn't run that ratio in even a stock saw. the bikes have massive bottom ends in comparison and i wouldn't run that in a bike either although i have before. it works BUT you are sacrificing longevity. the problem with that is amsoil praisers don't whine until there is a problem. amsoil users either race and don't care about longevity or are bike polishers and don't put enough time on their bike to have an opinion on oil. 50:1 or 80:1 ain't gonna make much of any difference to your bike as far as top end cleanliness goes but dramatic difference in bottom end lubrication. i'd switch to 50:1 across the board and be happy a few years down the road when your bikes still run.

FWIW, i ran a highly modified 86' CR500R hard as hell for 2 years on 80:1 Sabre. Alot of wide open running. And yes, I did feel the difference in how the bike ran when I switched to the Sabre. Im older now and not as hardcore and am now running the Dominator at 50:1. Getting back into chainsaws, I will probably mix the Dominator at 40:1 for the saws and see how it goes.

FWIW, i ran a highly modified 86' CR500R hard as hell for 2 years on 80:1 Sabre. Alot of wide open running. And yes, I did feel the difference in how the bike ran when I switched to the Sabre. Im older now and not as hardcore and am now running the Dominator at 50:1. Getting back into chainsaws, I will probably mix the Dominator at 40:1 for the saws and see how it goes.

that says nothing for the internal condition of the engine after those 2 years. couple that with the fact that not many can even make a stock 500 sweat (not many can make a stock 250 sweat lol) and you have a engine that lasts. so your saying you noticed a 1% difference in oil in a 500cc performance 2 stroke engine? lol

that says nothing for the internal condition of the engine after those 2 years. couple that with the fact that not many can even make a stock 500 sweat (not many can make a stock 250 sweat lol) and you have a engine that lasts. so your saying you noticed a 1% difference in oil in a 500cc performance 2 stroke engine? lol

All I said was in the 2 years I ran it hard, i had zero issues, it started easier and revved out smoother. So yea, there was a difference in how it ran. I would bet a case of beer that engine lived long after I parted with it. Still kick myself for doing so 20 years later. Not many can even start a 500 let alone wring it out..:laugh:

Saber. 50:1 on ported saws. 64:1 on stockers 60cc and under. Not one problem. 35 years and counting.
If not AutoTune or Mtronic tuning is spot on of course. Tuning is more important than the air cooled oil itself.

Isn't Saber the only Ams product meant to be run in air cooled engines? Or am I backwards on that?

I believe Dominator is for air cooled as well. I've used Dominator in an air cooled injector mix application successfully. But Dominator is more for larger engines like snow mobiles etc. I used it in my Key West Scooters just fine.

I have 2 cheap ass machines running 100:1 saber for bout 2 years now botg poulans. One hand held pp blower and a 42cc saw. From what i see tgrough intake and exhaust it looks fine. I dont believe in lean mix ratios just a torture test of sorts. Mainly wanted to see if i could find a idiot proof oil to rec to my customers thats easy to find. So far so good. My own air cooled stuff runs mystic sea and anow at 32:1 but ran saber at 32:-50:1 for years no issues. Will run these on 100:1 till they die and then decide what i think after a full tear down

Some years back before the demise of the 2smoke Bikes I worked when required for a company that did refurbishment on race machine bottom ends Big ends mains crankcase lining up/matching etc. i worked on all the Off road Racers 125 cc through 500cc & 125 250 500 & side car road race lower units & you always knew the ones run on minute amounts of oil in the mix 32/1 & South displayed a tiny amount of wear at each strip down some not requiring any parts replacement The weaker mixes 40/1& North almost always required some if not all the revolving bits replaced & a motor run on the dyno with less oil always produced LESS power running a mix between 18/25 to 1 had the most power & mostly /not always more revs

Amsoil saber at 50-1 like it a lot get it 8 dollars a quart burns clean doesn't stink to bad all other mixed I mix at 40-1

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back