Milled a Nice Hemlock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsurfer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I cut down and milled a dying hemlock last year. This spring we had a windstorm that knocked down its neighbour. It fell on our old sailboat and crushed it. Anyway, I milled the tree last weekend and got plenty of good boards out of it.

attachment.php

The tree fell across the beach and that is a great place to mill! A nice breeze, good slope, what more could you want.

attachment.php

I cut them all 1" thick to use as siding. This tree was in good shape. Not much ring shake and nice grain. This green hemlock is super fast to mill, about 1" per second in 16" wide cuts, about half that in 20" wide boards. Never milled so fast before.

attachment.php

Nice!

I decided on Hemlock for the house rafters....<24'>. I don't have any on my place, so I will have to buy a load from a local logger.

RD

Got a good surface finish, I won't even plane these ones.

attachment.php

Being on the beach, I collected all the dust. Must have filled a 10 gallon bucket over 20 times! Here I line up the smallest section. The boards were quite heavy with sap, had to carry them up the hill to the drying shed- whew! 24 boards total, over 200 board feet I guess.

attachment.php

I finished the roof on my gazebo project this weekend and that's where a lot of the boards will go, closing in the bottom section for storage.

attachment.php

Cheers!:cheers:

Looks like God's country WS. Probably a good idea to tarp. I'm going to do that next milling session if I bring more logs home to mill. Won't be this weekend though I'm going camping/fishing. I need a drying shed as well. Nice pics thanks for posting.

Back