MillerModSaws and the PS-7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I tuned this saw I just buried in the biggest piece of oak I had. I set it extremely rich and then dogged in the saw with just a nice pull on the handle and adjusted it till it quite four stroking. Still has pretty fat so leaned it out just a scotch more. I can tell you the stock saw likes to run right around 10300. This one likes 12200.

Are we talking in the wood? The stock saw sounds rich in the cut

Me too. A hardwood cookie with a cut halfway across the center works pretty good. You can set the phone in the kerf and the cookie will sit on anything flat.
I'm always trying to get my phone to stay propped up. That's a great idea!
What's a hardwood cookie??:dizzy: Lol

I think I could really use a 7900/10.... may have to big bore a 6400 but none the less these saws are grabbing my attention as of late

Sent from my non internal combustion device.

So on this next saw what do you think of doing things a bit different?
Tune the stock saw to your best standards and video.
Then muffler mod, retune and video.
Then port, retune and video.
This way we can see the benefits of the different stages.
Of course the ultimate goal here is to achieve the best possible work saw. And the first saw certainly looks like a winner. Can't wait to see what the second one turns out like!

When your looking at the 7900 ipl it shows the later coil and flywheel in the big picture but in the upper corner it shows early model which is the higher rpm coil....this is my understanding of it anyway...the coils are color coded too....talk to 166 he had some knowledge I didn't last time we went through this Because seems to me I am forgetting something

'01 - '03 64/73/7900's had the black coil which is limited to 13,500. The Red Coil came out during the 2004 built saws which was to work with the heated handle models. The red coil saws run better than the black coil but there was a flywheel change at the same time.

Are we talking in the wood? The stock saw sounds rich in the cut
I only tuned the ported one. Both saws would 4 stroke as soon as you lifted pressure. I will not argue on the stock saw as I put gas and oil in it and ran it.

The stock saw in that video is probably a 1000 rpm rich.

Listen to the sound of this saw at the 9 second mark.

So on this next saw what do you think of doing things a bit different?
Tune the stock saw to your best standards and video.
Then muffler mod, retune and video.
Then port, retune and video.
This way we can see the benefits of the different stages.
Of course the ultimate goal here is to achieve the best possible work saw. And the first saw certainly looks like a winner. Can't wait to see what the second one turns out like!
I'm going to start with a lower exhaust and maybe some more blowdown. But we'll see were it goes and what suggestions come across the board.

Gor started on the second saw tonight. Intake squared up and a little roughing on the exhaust. Don't wanna get carried away till I get the squish and base cut. Going to cut it the same as the other saw. I thought this saw was running pretty rich but the plug shows it wasn't to bad.

Attachments

• 20150223_190700.jpg
    20150223_190700.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 43
20150224_172802.jpg Ok it's coming together slowly. Lol. I'm doing 105/135 on this saw to start a lower exhaust with more blow down. Here's a pic of what I need to remove. Taking .030 off base puts your trans almost right there. So I'm just going to do a flat 135. And square up the corners.

Although right now the most time is spent on the exhaust port. Lots of work on this saw and the muffler mod is time consuming to uncrimp remove the SLR yada yada. Lol

I didn't go back threw the thread but back there somewhere someone wanted more pics of the SLR. Here they are before I hack the flange off of it to put back in the muffler for support and spacing. He also wanted cc measurements. I will try and get that.

Attachments

• 20150224_095335.jpg
    20150224_095335.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20150224_095339.jpg
    20150224_095339.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 61
  • 20150224_095343.jpg
    20150224_095343.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20150224_095401.jpg
    20150224_095401.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 52
I didn't go back threw the thread but back there somewhere someone wanted more pics of the SLR. Here they are before I hack the flange off of it to put back in the muffler for support and spacing. He also wanted cc measurements. I will try and get that.

What a dang contraption....

Latest posts

Back