Mini truck VS UTV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple years ago we had a guy importing and selling those mini trucks. He was installing some sort of lift kit and adding atv tires with aluminum rims to them. never had a chance to run one but they looked to have plenty of ground clearance and traction with the atv tires installed. I think he was selling them for around 5k. that's 1/3 the cost of a utv or 1/4 the cost of a utv that has the same sealed cab with heat, wipers, radio

Couple years ago we had a guy importing and selling those mini trucks. He was installing some sort of lift kit and adding atv tires with aluminum rims to them. never had a chance to run one but they looked to have plenty of ground clearance and traction with the atv tires installed. I think he was selling them for around 5k. that's 1/3 the cost of a utv or 1/4 the cost of a utv that has the same sealed cab with heat, wipers, radio

You are comparing NEW UTV prices to used mini truck prices... I bought my lightly used Kubota 500 for 6K, and I mean LIGHTLY used. Not even a scratch under it, let alone on the top side. It's really GREAT how easy it is to get into and out of, that's important to me, as I get in and out a lot... Top speed is only 25 though...

The mini truck I sat in, I couldn't even get my feet between the pedals to drive it! As tight as that cab was, I could see right away, it wasn't for me!

SR

You are comparing NEW UTV prices to used mini truck prices... I bought my lightly used Kubota 500 for 6K, and I mean LIGHTLY used. Not even a scratch under it, let alone on the top side. It's really GREAT how easy it is to get into and out of, that's important to me, as I get in and out a lot... Top speed is only 25 though...

The mini truck I sat in, I couldn't even get my feet between the pedals to drive it! As tight as that cab was, I could see right away, it wasn't for me!

SR

very true. in my area used utv prices aren't very far from new prices. $10k for a 4 yr old ranger is a common thing to see as are $13k rangers that are 1 yr old.
http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/mcd/4386968843.html 2010 ranger for $10999
there is also a 04 ranger 500 for $5000

The Kubota 400 and 500 and also the Kawasaki Mules are utility UTVs governed to 25 MPH and are much lower priced than the fast UTVs some of you are throwing prices off of. If you want to work in the woods without damaging your trails look at one of those.

GEEVEE ASV RC-30 looks like fun but don't think the grandkids could ride.

i thought you said you wanted to get some woodcutting done? Depending on the kid- they can drive it. Pilot controls, seat belt and lap bar. My children moved dirt and grappled logs. I'm seeing guys talking 700-800 cc ATVS, Gators and UTVS being new at 15k and used at 10 K.

Flush out your headgear?

What a waste of ten g's. There aint NOTHING a UTV is going to do, that an ASV RC-30 cant'

Don't want to hear about I can drive fast, or to town, get a car or truck, you want to work? Get something than has value, durability and can not just provide ROI, but still be producing for you, long after the UTV is gone to the junkyard.

I like toys, but I dont send a boy to do a man's job.

I guess the tortoise rabbit fable doesn't mean anything to some people.

It isn't easy sometimes, cause the Hammock is so thick with trees, and sometimes the mud barely covers the gnarly roots runining on top of each other. but I can grapple a fresh 24" Oak 12' long, and move it through a half mile of it. Anyone got a UTV that will do that? (If I have to, i cut it in half, and grab both pieces and makes the snaking easier). BTW, how again is the speed going to help you in the woods?

UTVS have their place, moving the beer cooler and the women folk from one end to the other, but not going to work in the woods I work in.

GeeVee, it all depends on your terrain and intended use. Your ASV would be neat but on MY farm it would get little use while my UTV that was under 10K new gets used nearly every day. I only cut firewood for my self and pulling a small ATV tired trailer I can haul lots of wood from my woods several hundred yards and through the lawn without making a mark. The UTV is also great to load up fence repair tools and a chainsaw to ride the fences after a storm. I use the UTV to go the several hundred yards to the mailbox and can even just take a ride to give the dog exercise when I'm tired.

No doubt Gary, UTV's and the like have a place. And I fully agree, individual circumstances/needs should guide a purchase. The RC-30 has lower ground pressure than any though. I too drive across manicured lawns with no tracks without trying. But it isn't a great conveyance. A trailer can be useful behind it.

I just cringe when I see folks spend the same money, and get less tool, but, its their money?

I too think the Utvs are very handy but way overpriced. I'm a proud member of the cheapie club and have been using an old John Deere AMT gator for years except it takes a football field to turn. I just picked this up as its possible replacement:
image.jpg
It's a clean early nineties heald hauler that will turn a circle around a 55 gallon Drum and do 25 mph to get me to the woods 5 miles away quicker than the slower gator. Cost me under a grand. The only small trucks I found for close to that price are ready for the junkyard.

The grey one was free. The black one was $1500

View attachment 348834

And a canoe rack!!!!!! Awesome!!!!

Side by side vs mini truck.....give me a mini truck any day. Same cramped cab but enclosed with heat and a bed that is useful.

I think some of those even have diff locks.

ASV and Cat. Best undercarriage and best pilot controls.

An RC30 would be fun for small stuff around the house where the bigger machine would be too much.

I got into a Bobcat 763 this past winter and it took a while to remember how to operate the thing. Ok, which way is up bucket? lol

Everything has its place and I'm sure in some circumstances the asv is king in others a utv or mini truck. I personally have been around and used the slow utv's and fast ones. The "fast" ones are better in every way except price for me. Asv/Skid steer is a great all around tool to have but the big downfall is slow travel speed if you have to skid or haul any distance.

It is a 1984-model U900 or commonly referred to as a 406. Hydraulics front and back for several different kinds of attachments and 540/1000 pto front and back.

Unimogs are Mercedes and they have been making them forever... Gas, diesel and in about every body style you can thing of...

Not terrible fast and very expensive new. parts will kill you, but they are proven to be a good truck. They get all of their power through "gearing", there's LOT'S of youtubes of them......

SR

Unimogs are Mercedes and they have been making them forever... Gas, diesel and in about every body style you can thing of...

Not terrible fast and very expensive new. parts will kill you, but they are proven to be a good truck. They get all of their power through "gearing", there's LOT'S of youtubes of them......

SR
Lots of gears on this one! 18 forward gears. Was a real PITA when I first got it. Still only use a few of them. Top speed about 46 mph. Hooked up to 2 chevy duramax diesels and pulled them backwards down a gravel road once. It is very deceiving just looking at it.

Back