Minor irritations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashhole

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up an Alaskan Mill a few months ago and the objective is to mill enough big lumber to frame/build a horse shelter in the pasture. I ran a thread in the Milling forum - The Old Man And The Tree - that chronicled my adventures with a huge storm felled Ash. I've been milling sections of the Ash for posts and beams. I need one more beam to finish the material list for the frame. I had a sizable piece of top trunk set up for milling. Went out to square the ends and set the guide rails and discovered ants, all the way through the heartwood. Pieced it out as firewood. Back to the woods for more shelter material.

Oh ... that's my Stihl MS460 with a 20" bar in the photo. I have nothing but praise for that saw. I bought it "lightly used" on eBay from someone who took it on trade to settle a debt. I paid $550 for it shipped to my door with a 32" bar and two new chains. This is my 3rd season with it and it keeps getting stronger and stronger. Just before piecing out this log I put a fresh edge on the full chisel chain. This saw is a chip throwing marvel. My milling saw is a Husky 394 with a 36" bar and milling chain. The 30" mill is a good match to the 94cc saw.

Latest posts

Back