miserable night

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
it's almost 4am and i'm restless. i had shoulder surgery today. i got home at 1 pm and wasn't in too much pain bc of a nerve block. that had worn off and i can only get comfortable for a few seconds at the time. i have oxycotin, but it only dulls that pain. i can't take another one for another hour. few new posts and no new threads. i have read just about every thread on the first three pages and have flipped through the tv channels until i have a callous. on top of that, typing with one hand is tough.......i guess sleep will overtake the pain at some point and i will fall asleep for a little while. oh well, it will get better.....thanks for listening!!!!

Shoulder surguries just plain suck after the local wears off. I'm kind of surprised they didn't but a time released bulb syring in you with the numbing agent (commonly lidocaine). Seems to be the common trend for post shoulder surgury to control pain for the first day or two. Stick it out and keep icing as directed, helps quite a bit. Relieves the swelling, which in turn relieves the pressure on the joint.

thanks...now i'm getting hungry and i don't won't to wake the wife. getting out of the recliner is tough, even with two people.....you don't realize how much you use the shoulder muscles even when you are trying not to do so.

Hang in there.
Fwiw, they gave me that oxy when I broke my leg. It still hurt like hell
but I kept taking it and thinking it would hurt worse if I stopped taking it.
I couldn't think straight. I'd have to read a sentence 3 time before I understood it.
I finally got so frustrated that I stopped taking the oxy, took 2 Advil, and braced for increased pain.
I was suprised to find that the Advil worked better and my head was clear.
I might just be wierd and yrmv. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

That cooler is a great idea, you can keep your beer in there also so you don't have to get up! Beer and Vicodin ought to make everything feel good:D

My brother just had his done 2 weeks ago. 3" incision, pushed his arm bone up through, cut ball off, drilled and put pin with a ball into his arm bone, pushed it back in. OUCH! Can see what you're going through. Maybe not that extreme. I've had enough surgeries to know some are more painful than others. Hang in there.

Wishing you a speedy recovery...

Do a search on MSM. It's a natural pain reliever that works wonders. Actually they have been using it on race horses for years. James Colburn, the actor is one if it's strongest proponents.

I certainly don't advocate that you use it now, but it could help with future pain issues. I've been using it when needed for about 5 yrs. now.

At least they toned the background down so now while you stare for hours on end your eyes will get some relief. Wishing you have a full and speedy recovery. You Georgians that cut in that 95 degree heat with high humidity's have to be some dang tough birds!!
REJ2

i tore the ligaments in my shoulder this past summer and my injury was borderline needing surgery. i opted out of the operation and now my shoulder never seems right :confused: seems this operation is in my future at some point .. wish you a speedy recovery

I'm wishing you the best. I had mine done in '88 back in the dark ages and the first week was really rough. The Vicodin wasn't cutting it so they upped me to Percocet. That was some weird stuff. I was in PT for a year to get all my strength back.

i know exactly what you are going though. I had a rotator cuff repaired 2 years ago. I had 6 incisions. After about 2-3 days the pain was mostly gone and had FULL movement in less then 3 months with no pain and still don't have pain so hang in there

Forgot to say that I definitely remember sleeping in my chair that first week, too. There was no way I could lay down.

Been there, broke 9 ribs down behind my shoulder blade. Slept in wooden rocking chair for a few nights. Find a comfortable spot and ride it out, it gets better.

Latest posts

Back