Missing some PNW people tonight.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bellingham is getting hit hard too.

They just said the Puyallup River crests at 30'. It hit 34' in 1917 and is expected to hit 36' sometime tomorrow morning.

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

This isn't good... We had minor flooding today... Nothing even close to what you guys are going through.

Ditch outside is backed way up, fields are flooding, culvert under the road down at the nieghbors is plugged. I was out of town so it wasn't dealt with, now there is piled up snow and the water in the ditch is six feet. City crew came out with a backhoe and we were looking for it, no dice. I got out the gas pump, figured I can cap off the drain into the ditch and pump out the sump when it fills as to not flood the basement.

City guys worked hard and brought me a cap for the pipe, they are coming back, the road is going to flood but so what, it will drain to the other side of the road where the creek is.

Times like this always bring out the best in people, this will pass. Best wishes to everyone, take care and be safe.

Oh man. That's bad news. I got to get on the phone and see how my climbing bros are doing in Bellingham. I never saw anything like that during my years in Glacier 05/06. Good luck you guys. That is horrible.:jawdrop:

Ya, this rain sucks. It's been raining for 2 days solid now. I had to nearly swim to my truck today after work. I worked outside yesterday nearly all day, had to actually ring my clothes out after work, was completely soaked through.

Ya, this rain sucks. It's been raining for 2 days solid now. I had to nearly swim to my truck today after work. I worked outside yesterday nearly all day, had to actually ring my clothes out after work, was completely soaked through.

Yuck... we'd usually get soaked and cold like that, and roll the h3ll up.

Ditch outside is backed way up, fields are flooding, culvert under the road down at the nieghbors is plugged. I was out of town so it wasn't dealt with, now there is piled up snow and the water in the ditch is six feet. City crew came out with a backhoe and we were looking for it, no dice. I got out the gas pump, figured I can cap off the drain into the ditch and pump out the sump when it fills as to not flood the basement.

City guys worked hard and brought me a cap for the pipe, they are coming back, the road is going to flood but so what, it will drain to the other side of the road where the creek is.

Times like this always bring out the best in people, this will pass. Best wishes to everyone, take care and be safe.

Where you at?

I had the displeasure of wading hip deep through a mudslide to cut some powerline clear in Abbostford at 9 this morning, to get the power back on. By 10 I was on top of somebody's house cutting limbs from a cracked maple to get the lights back on... Then by 11 I had my rain gear on (I think it was just to hold the water in by that point :) ) but things pretty much slowed down after that. Either too wet or too muddy to deal with at the moment. Tomorrow should be fun!

Everyone stay safe up there! I wonder how Slowp is doing? Haven't seen any posts in a few days.
Dok

She posted earlier today. Her little town is an island now...roads closed on either side of her. Last I heard it was flooding in Randle. Power is probably off but she stocked up on food and library books.

Not too bad in NW Oregon. The Pineapple Express hit Washington head on this time. The snow piles here are finally just about finished.

I'm sure Tillamook County will see flooding along the Wilson River. Tillamook is the "land of seas , breeze and mud up to your knees".

Had to bust out the shop vac. Got water coming in the garage. Good thing my saw's are off the ground.:cheers:

i am still alive

:censored: 60 degrees today. winds light . we had 3 feet off snow now it is almost all melted. already had to cut two 38 dbh trees off the main road. forest circus fire faller fell the second one and broke the chain and no replacement:dizzy: i had the jd cs 81 (Miss Witchy) with the 36" . Miss Witchy scared the hell out the forest circus faller. he ask why does one need any bar longer then 24". he was pissed when i finished the first cut in 45 seconds. he was bragging his fire falling 460 stihl with 24" bar was the ultimate saw:hmm3grin2orange: me i like the big saw and long bar:clap:

:cheers:

Here is a few excerpts from NWAC:

Natural or human triggered slides should become certain Tuesday afternoon

extreme danger does not adequately emphasize the extent of the anticipated avalanche potential for large, destructive slides that involve most of this winters snow cover.

slides should run full depth and range up to 6 to 10 feet deep or more, with some running full path distance, expanding or extending current paths and destroying mature timber.

From NWAC:

Field reports have been very sparse and spotty due to the resulting extreme avalanche danger and closure of many highways by either flooding, debris flows or avalanches, with avalanche related closures including I-90, US-2 and
SR-542, where a large avalanche descended onto the highway from Excelsior Mountain.

extreme avalanche danger and further widespread natural avalanche activity should be ongoing early Wednesday, with some avalanches that initiate in upper weak layers above the Dec 31st crust stepping down to or releasing on more deeply buried weaknesses such as the weak faceted snow near the ground. Although I-90 remains closed at this time, a recent report from the WSDOT control team early Wednesday morning indicates that a large natural avalanche just released from Denny Mountain and ran to the highway. Also debris flows involving slush, mud, rocks and trees have become more numerous late Tuesday through early Wednesday, and these should continue or increase in frequency during the day.

an increasing percentage of slides on Wednesday should begin to involve the older and generally weaker snowpack structure that developed in December, with such slides running long distances and taking out mature timber.

increasingly deep climax slides should be an increasing concern in most locations during the next 24 hours, the greatest threat for large destructive slides releasing to the ground should be along the Cascade east slopes and in the northern WA Cascades.

Massive mudslide/avalanche at Hyak!

http://www.kirotv.com/news/18431501/detail.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/misha-stack/with/3177027811/

Hyak.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back