Mn,wis,ia-gtg 10-09-10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw you are having a gtg and I was thinking that I have a property with a fallen oak that might even be big for my 076 stihl with a 33 inch bar. I was going to leave it alone in Maple grove MN but would you want it for the gtg?

Matt
If you can get it up here that would be great,hope to see you there.

Getting pretty excited. Any pics of the area? Couple guys from the south side of St Paul stopped in to pick up some parts saturday, said it is beautiful country up there. O ya and a long drive from here ha.
Every weekend I get more saws running. Hope I don't run out of room.
No pics,sorry.I lost my camera last weekend and have another on order.I have a pic of the willow that blew down from last winter before I cleaned them all up.
attachment.php
attachment.php
The same tree is in post #21 all limbed up and still 4' off the ground,someone can cut it down in the morning if they want.The GTG will be at the end of a field with a good view and lots of room.

Last edited:
When can we start arriving and will there be a place to sleep or should I bring a tent. Its going to be a 6 hour+ drive for me. Planning on taking a hafeday on friday before the GTG to make the drive.

Is there anyone coming from the east side of WI that wants to car pool?

Beefie

When can we start arriving and will there be a place to sleep or should I bring a tent. Its going to be a 6 hour+ drive for me. Planning on taking a hafeday on friday before the GTG to make the drive.

Is there anyone coming from the east side of WI that wants to car pool?

Beefie
Sorry but it's the tent.You can put the tent(if it's small enough) or a cot in the garage if you want.I am taking Fri. off so anytime you get here is good.Are you bringing that 6 wheel thing and your camera?

I will bring the camera for sure. If we need the 6 wheel thing I could bring that to. I hope to have the 090G running by then to bring up also. Would love to get it running and try out that new 1/2" pitch semi-chisel chain.

Beefie

It sounds like I should be able to come up . I wouldn't mind going for a little trail ride and see some of your kingdom. You must have lots of places to hang saws up in the great north woods.:hmm3grin2orange:Heavyfuel gave me a shout today before he was heading out to set up for the grantsburg fair, offered me a place to stay on friday night so I don't have to tent it. If I take the hole day off on friday that would give me enough time to ride out by you and go for a little trail ride, and then go back to the glovers for some adult beverages, I mean chain shapening, that's what I ment to say.

Beefie

It sounds like I should be able to come up . I wouldn't mind going for a little trail ride and see some of your kingdom. You must have lots of places to hang saws up in the great north woods.:hmm3grin2orange:Heavyfuel gave me a shout today before he was heading out to set up for the grantsburg fair, offered me a place to stay on friday night so I don't have to tent it. If I take the hole day off on friday that would give me enough time to ride out by you and go for a little trail ride, and then go back to the glovers for some adult beverages, I mean chain shapening, that's what I ment to say.

Beefie
Do whatever you feel comfortable with.You could come early Sat. morn too.It's 1 1/2 hours to Jon's from my place going the back way and 2 hours taking the main highways.

20 and counting...

I think I need a bigger truck and/or trailer, or only bring some of my saws, picked up a Super 250 off CL for $125 in Baldwin, Wi a week ago.

attachment.php

Also got a 28" total bar and 3 chains for the 288/2100 Huskies. One of the chains is square ground, could there be a "how-to" on sharping square ground?

Last edited:
I didn't realize it was so far it took me almost 6 hours just to get over to the glovers for the charity cut. It dosn't really matter how long it takes it is going to be a great get together, I can just feel it:cheers:

Beefie

I think I need a bigger truck and/or trailer, or only bring some of my saws, picked up a Super 250 off CL for $125 in Baldwin, Wi a week ago.

attachment.php

Also got a 28" total bar and 3 chains for the 288/2100 Huskies. One of the chains is square ground, could there be a "how-to" on sharping square ground?
So does it run?Thats the kind of bar those saws need:clap:Redprospector has a thread on square and I think a short vid.If you thought hand filing round was hard try square:cry:

So does it run?Thats the kind of bar those saws need:clap:Redprospector has a thread on square and I think a short vid.If you thought hand filing round was hard try square:cry:

The 250 I have is down right now. Last time it ran was before the 4th of July, tried to start it a week later, wouldn't fire. Pulled the flywheel, cleaned up the points, new sparkplug, nothing. Rebuilt the carb, new fuel line and pulled off the gas tank cover plate and cleaned out the tank. Still wouldn't fire and the carb was leaking gas out the butterfly, asked the old timer at the saw shop, said to check the lever for the needle jet, may have come loose or isn't postioned right, etc. The Super 250 runs great (knock on wood). I'm running it on 32:1 mix just to be safe. Cut 2 loads of cottonwood with it monday and wed. this week and some elm on thurs. The Carlton .404 chain still has a lot of life left in it yet too. And if I could I'd like to find a bigger bar for this one. As for square chain, I knew sharpening it was going to be fun, one of the local shops doesn't even mess with it. The other one said they "might" be able to sharpen it.

The 250 I have is down right now. Last time it ran was before the 4th of July, tried to start it a week later, wouldn't fire. Pulled the flywheel, cleaned up the points, new sparkplug, nothing. Rebuilt the carb, new fuel line and pulled off the gas tank cover plate and cleaned out the tank. Still wouldn't fire and the carb was leaking gas out the butterfly, asked the old timer at the saw shop, said to check the lever for the needle jet, may have come loose or isn't postioned right, etc. The Super 250 runs great (knock on wood). I'm running it on 32:1 mix just to be safe. Cut 2 loads of cottonwood with it monday and wed. this week and some elm on thurs. The Carlton .404 chain still has a lot of life left in it yet too. And if I could I'd like to find a bigger bar for this one. As for square chain, I knew sharpening it was going to be fun, one of the local shops doesn't even mess with it. The other one said they "might" be able to sharpen it.

Hey Grizz what length bar you looking for? I've a NOS ProMac bar(like the one in your pic) 32" I've used once bucking a large red oak. I'd be willing to part with if your interested.

This might work out for me. Haven't been in that area for many years. I'll see if I can make it. Only 2.5 hours according to mapquest. JR

Get up there! GTGs are great, only been to one, but had a great time. And that was 8.5 hours away.

I don't know that the 395 will see much 20" wood. I just got it this morning and have nothing to cut at the moment so we will see. I would imagine the 7901 will kick its a**. After all, it's only turning 9600.

I don't know that the 395 will see much 20" wood. I just got it this morning and have nothing to cut at the moment so we will see. I would imagine the 7901 will kick its a**. After all, it's only turning 9600.

9600 loaded. It can do better than that. Put a eight pin on her with a 20-24 and dog her in. You will grin ear to ear.

JRA map quest says 4.5 hours for me. You still in Marble Rock?

Latest posts

Back