Monster in Ohio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_marine

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just got the go ahead on a patch of timber in next to the job I am working. There is a monster on the job I will have to drop. I am estmating 8 feet thick white oak. Doubt it is solid but regardless it has to go down. I will try to post pics of it in the morning. It will be about a month before I get to it.

Ray

Another local farmer has a monster oak on one of their places. Heard they been offered like $40,000 for it.

I agree. If it was me, I would have sold it.

We have a nice Burr oak in our woods that was 42" diameter, and about 20 feet to the nearest branch. A few years back a large branch tore away from the tree, pulling a large strip of wood away, all the way down to the base of the tree. I've never had anyone look at it, but I'm pretty sure it's worthless now. I will be cutting it down for firewood someday in the near future.

Worthless? Perhaps. You never know what's in a log 'til you start cutting it.

True. I just figured most sawmills wouldn't want to fork out top dollar for the tree. Like I said, I haven't had anyone look at it, so I'm just going on my own assumptions.

We need some pictures of this beauty. If your close to the Ohio - Michigan line, give me a holler. I have a few saws that could use a workout.

PICS! where's those pics! I'm eager to see this monster tree. How much do you think you'll get out of it?

That's a big Bertha for sure. Gonna need 2 tanks of fuel on that one.

As for $40,000 for one oak, that must be a mis-speak. $4,000 maybe. Maybe...if it is truly a monster slicer oak with several 10'-6" logs.

That's a big one !

Monster.jpg

monster2.jpg

Set the video recorder up for that one or get a bunch of time lapse photos .

:cheers:

Thanks dancan. Yes it will be a week long project getting that one down. Got to take your time with one that big. There are 42 limbs that have logs in them.

Ray

That's a big Bertha for sure. Gonna need 2 tanks of fuel on that one.

As for $40,000 for one oak, that must be a mis-speak. $4,000 maybe. Maybe...if it is truly a monster slicer oak with several 10'-6" logs.

Already talked to the truck driver. He said he doesn't want any longer than 8' 6". That way he can pick them up. Mill stated that he wants to split them at the mill.

Ray

I just got the go ahead on a patch of timber in next to the job I am working. There is a monster on the job I will have to drop. I am estmating 8 feet thick white oak. Doubt it is solid but regardless it has to go down. I will try to post pics of it in the morning. It will be about a month before I get to it.

Ray
Is that a white oak or ?????

hopefully its solid on the inside. ive seen alot of big oaks(not that big) that rot from the inside due to water leaking in from a dead branch far up the tree. no matter what the is defineatly a big-un!

If you register a tree you can not touch another tree anywhere near that tree. The property owner wants to do what he wants with his property. That is the only bad thing about registering a tree with them.

Ray

Latest posts

Back