Monster Maul?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menchhofer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone here know of a distributor for the Monster Maul? One I have is about 20 years old and I would like to purchase another one.

Local TSC has a similar model but the handle is too short. Google search was not successful.

Sotz,if that's the correct spelling,made the original"monster maul".That thing tipped the scales at 18 lbs,I believe.

I could prolly make one....

www.splitzall.com ?

Something like this here? Name yer size/poundage.

I keep getting more ideas on this...what if I made one with a pin/bolt or something on the back so you could add or remove discs/plates or somehting for the desired weight?

I've split fresh-cut willow before that was so easy I didn't even stand it up. Just whacked it laying down like a golfer. Split a lot of wood in a short amount of time. Then you got yer old dry knotty hardwoods that laugh at you when you give 'em yer best shot....

Last edited:
Thought of something else, though it probably wouldn't work for bustin' big stuff. I have a splitter that's like an axe with two levers built into it that swing out and force the halves apart as the head enters the log. Anyone ever seen one of these? Guy gave it to me, I'd never seen one before. Works ok, think it needs more weight. Pic tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Nothern tool .com has those splitters my neighbor has one it works pretty well for some of the bigger pieces.

David B said:
Thought of something else, though it probably wouldn't work for bustin' big stuff. I have a splitter that's like an axe with two levers built into it that swing out and force the halves apart as the head enters the log. Anyone ever seen one of these? Guy gave it to me, I'd never seen one before. Works ok, think it needs more weight. Pic tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Sounds like a Chopper 1.

Russ

It's just my opinion, but I think Monster Mauls and Chopper 2's are nothing more than gimmicks.
Sure they are ok for the odd clunker that is just as well sawn into pieces, but nothing beats a 6# maul with a 36" handle for all around wood splitting.
John

Gypo Logger said:
It's just my opinion, but I think Monster Mauls and Chopper 2's are nothing more than gimmicks.
Sure they are ok for the odd clunker that is just as well sawn into pieces, but nothing beats a 6# maul with a 36" handle for all around wood splitting.
John

I can't say for the Chopper2, but the MM works. I brought home a bunch of spike-knot yellow birch that my 8lb maul did nothing to.

That said, I prefer the regular maul whenever possible. The MM takes a different swing pattern for me and never gets close to the same rhythm I get with the 8lb'er.

trink23.gif

I'll go down as a fan of the MM too. Have one dad bought in the 80s that is still good as new. Bought a look alike about 10 years ago which is nowhere near as good - handle bent, etc. Anyone finds a source for the original I'm interested.

Mauls

Anyone know the viability of splitzall.com? How much they charge, freight, availability, etc?

Take your square of the velocity theories down to your local community college. That is true when calculating total kinetic energy. We're looking at Momentum and total Force when driving nails, splitting wood etc. So K = 0.5mv2 , M = mv, and F = M/t. At the SAME velocity (possible by me) a Monster maul has more total energy; which correlates to more splitting power than a 6# maul head mounted on a toothpick. The velocity argument is MOOT because it assumes that you can swing the smaller maul at mach speeds such that the total energy of the smaller maul is greater than the lager maul (yes, it is possible with a large variant in velocity.) Now I’ll tell you that the argument is FALSE in my case because it assumes that a “Pansy-Pete” can only lift the monster maul 12-18 inches and let it fall into the wood, but can swing the 6# maul at full bore. This is high school math, so I’ll let you plug in the numbers. I’m a chemist anyway.

Take the monster maul from behind your boots, over your head, and through wood! Bingo, same velocity, and kinetic energy is higher, momentum is higher, and total force applied to the wood is higher. Lo! One thing I forgot, the wood will actually SPLIT!!!
Same thing with that 6# maul D’oh! Bounce off! Try try again (again recall that it’s gnarly wood I’m speaking of)

Yes, monster mauls are overkill if you are splitting nine-inch clear pine, but I'm all too often working on a ribboned Black Oak stump and need more power. In fact I want a larger monster maul. A longer handle would be a great combo with about a 20# head.

Here is what I have done: I took an old 12# maul head and put a 48” steel handle on it, filled the handle with concrete and tried it out. Well, it is awesome. The head is just a little too small, but I love the handle length. (Oh, I’m 6’ 4” and it’s a short mans world) This prototype maul probably sounds absurd to all you small short guys out there?

So, with that, where can I get an oversized splitting maul that does NOT have a wood handle, I’ve broken too may toothpicks in my life. Any help would be appreciated…. If I were made of money… and could afford to have one custom made… you can already see that’s not an option. I don’t have a welder.

Is a splitzall my only and best choice?

Thanks,

Andrew

8lb maul, synthetic handle. yup, i said it.

I am a BIG dude, played right tackle and all that... I can split more wood faster, gnarly or not, with the 8lb than the monster maul. I had two MMs, and bent the handle of one into a pretzle. i think the otherone evolved into a wheel chock somewhere.

Mauls

BlackenedTimber said:
8lb maul, synthetic handle. yup, i said it.

I am a BIG dude, played right tackle and all that... I can split more wood faster, gnarly or not, with the 8lb than the monster maul. I had two MMs, and bent the handle of one into a pretzle. i think the otherone evolved into a wheel chock somewhere.

Did you have a real Monster Maul from Sotz, or did you get some knock off?

Kleek: Now we know who all those chain hardware stores are catering to.

Wait a minute

And just when did this become a maul popularity poll?

All and all I ALSO would PREFER a simple 8# maul. But it is often futile.

This thread is about Monster Mauls and where to get 'em. There are projects that just cannot be done with a regular maul, that is the purpose of my whole argument. I don't care what you use 99% of the time.

Back to the green...who knows details about splitzall's business? Are they available and how much $$$$ to get a maul. Does anyone know the specs? Anyone out there with the ability to think outside his comfort zone and get the job done? This is supposed to be the information super highway, not the pick the smeg out of your ears and share machine!!!

Monster Maul Maul Maul

The problem with the MONSTER MAUL is that unless your a "BRUTE". Your using alot of good energy handling all that weight.

I burn about 7 cords of wood during the 6 plus months I heat my house. I split all my wood with a 6lb maul with a wood handle. I also have a 6lb sledge hammer to help with the tough ones. Anything the will not split gets the 066 treatment and the curley fries help keep the mud/bullchit covered up and out the tread on my boots.

Back