More bad news for two strokes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys aren't going to like this:
I have earned my living running gas powered chainsaws for over 30 years. The last 2 months I have run a battery operated chainsaw to earn my living. I still have my gas saws and there are still jobs I will need them, but I will be grabbing the 'battery' saw whenever I can.

I have earned my living running gas powered chainsaws for over 30 years. The last 2 months I have run a battery operated chainsaw to earn my living. I still have my gas saws and there are still jobs I will need them, but I will be grabbing the 'battery' saw whenever I can.
My battery electric saw gets most of the use around here. I won't be getting rid of my gas Stihls any time soon, nor my diesel truck, but would daily drive an EV in a heartbeat. Don't care about the environmental crap, I'm just lazy, and EVs are easier.

Environmental laws is catching up to other manufacturers around the world if they want to sell in certain countries they must meet restrictions. It’s no free lunch anymore they must meet exhaust emissions like everyone else.

The writings on the wall. Plus there echo company has taken off. It’s about bottomline profits. I seen this at corporate meetings while my company made $6 billion in profits we got no raise but the ceo got his $750k bonus. He’s building a new boat house for his yacht. That’s what’s wrong with us today.
True, but why can some Manufacturers still produce a saw engine that is compliant, like Husqvarna 's latest 585 that uses a carb,
while others like Makita /Dolmar and Kogi/Tanaka have decided to produce no more gas powered equipment.
Something is coming down the line we just don't know about yet and these companies that only bought themselves
into the chainsaw market have decided they are not going to address it for what ever reason, and they are now gone.

I like that big time, no smelly fumes, less noise too. Am waiting until they have a 346XP replacement though,
and as long as it doesn't cost a fortune to buy or run I will be delighted to jump on one, but I think I will be waiting
a long time for that to happen.

True, but why can some Manufacturers still produce a saw engine that is compliant, like Husqvarna 's latest 585 that uses a carb,
while others like Makita /Dolmar and Kogi/Tanaka have decided to produce no more gas powered equipment.
Something is coming down the line we just don't know about yet and these companies that only bought themselves
into the chainsaw market have decided they are not going to address it for what ever reason, and they are now gone.
I don't think it's anything sinister going on, at least not on the part of these companies. Just whoever thought it was worth the investment in research to come up with compliant products.

For Makita, it's really easy to see. When battery electric tools are already 98% of your profits, how much of your R&D budget do you put into holding onto that last 2% that's gas powered? Or do you continue doing what you do - battery electric?

I don't think it's anything sinister going on, at least not on the part of these companies. Just whoever thought it was worth the investment in research to come up with compliant products.

For Makita, it's really easy to see. When battery electric tools are already 98% of your profits, how much of your R&D budget do you put into holding onto that last 2% that's gas powered? Or do you continue doing what you do - battery electric?
Agreed, but why buy Dolmar in the first place, and unless it was loosing money then why not keep on producing the good saws they were,
Husky are able to make a carb saw pass the emissions control, so can Echo, Stihl and Oleo-Mac and many more. I think the future of ethanol
fuel is going to grow to the extent only the larger manufacturers will be able to address the never ending issues involved with it, and that is
the reason the lower volume manufacturers are getting out.

I have a Stihl 140 battery saw and is does what it is meant to do. It is quiet and easy to use to clean up fallen limbs and cut smaller low growing limbs around the house. If i could find a well built battery trim mower with out the grass catcher and self propel I would probably buy one. For the two or three times a summer I use one I'd be better off with battery power than the two stroke Suziki powered Toro push mower.

I have a Stihl 140 battery saw and is does what it is meant to do. It is quiet and easy to use to clean up fallen limbs and cut smaller low growing limbs around the house. If i could find a well built battery trim mower with out the grass catcher and self propel I would probably buy one. For the two or three times a summer I use one I'd be better off with battery power than the two stroke Suziki powered Toro push mower.
Am replacing my old petrol mower with a battery one at the end of this season, hoping to get a bargain later on in the year.
I have a small lawn now, so would be ideal for me, but man they are expensive for a good one.

The battery will go on the slopes too, so no need for two stroke engine, hard to starve a battery powered motor of lubrication on a slope.

Agreed, but why buy Dolmar in the first place, and unless it was loosing money then why not keep on producing the good saws they were,
Husky are able to make a carb saw pass the emissions control, so can Echo, Stihl and Oleo-Mac and many more. I think the future of ethanol
fuel is going to grow to the extent only the larger manufacturers will be able to address the never ending issues involved with it, and that is
the reason the lower volume manufacturers are getting out.

Maybe the regulations are tightening, and the option is to do the work and the research and build a compliant engine, but when your market share is 2% or whatever, there's no ROI. I'm in sales. You can dump a LOT of effort and time into something that, while it isn't losing money, it's also not making money either. But it did suck up your time and work, which means you lost money. Nobody operates a company just to break even.

I have a Kobalt 80v mower. Nowhere close to on par with the old two stroke Suzuki Toro mowers, but for my needs, it's fantastic. Will never own another gas mower again.

My battery electric saw gets most of the use around here. I won't be getting rid of my gas Stihls any time soon, nor my diesel truck, but would daily drive an EV in a heartbeat. Don't care about the environmental crap, I'm just lazy, and EVs are easier.
At least your honest about it.

I like that big time, no smelly fumes, less noise too. Am waiting until they have a 346XP replacement though,
and as long as it doesn't cost a fortune to buy or run I will be delighted to jump on one, but I think I will be waiting
I have a Husqvarna 540i ordered, it is supposed to be the equivalent of a gas 40cc. My dealer told me months ago they are developing one equivalent to a 50cc. Time will tell.

Yes but what about the person living near to the power station, supplying your battery power, breathing in the fumes and trying to put up with the noise...?

Latest posts

Back