More flippy caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I :heart: 'em. Thank you Andreas & Co.

No metal tool to get out @ 6 F. No more glove removal to fill. No more puncturing the screw caps in the Huskys with the scrench.

Have had them for 4.5 years in 2 of my Stihls WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS
( excepting a stupid user error ---once. They must be seated exactly, then turned to lock. Once you F up with mix and oil on your crotch because YOU didn't seat the caps right, it will never happen again ! ).

:heart: 'em.

I use mostly square chisel chain and if you don't cut them little side thingies of the bottoms of the cutters the dust gets all over the sides.Best to wipe or brush @oil and fuel caps before removing them.
From watching some people I have no problem beliveing something as complicated as a flip cap could be an issue.

Out of the 5 running saw I have only one has the dreaded flippy caps. After all the conversation on this site about them I feel I'm an expert with them, they have caused me no concerns. Now getting the caps off the Echo without a srench in my back pocket is impossible. The Poulans and husky come off way easier than the Echo.

They would be great if they fit a little easier. I just bought a new ms660 and glad it has regular caps.

C'mon you luddites.

The whining about this engineering miracle is too much. :chainsawguy:

You're the same Gumps that complain about silicone implants, leakproof condoms, microwave popcorn......and, and .................... gas chainsaws.:chainsawguy:

Or power windows for that matter. Just one more thing that can break.

Only problem I ever had was with the first saw I owned with them. Overfilled the oil and messed it up. Got it taken care of pretty quick though.

Thing I don't get though is the large number of people on this forum that aren't strong enough to loosen threaded caps. For a bunch of self-sufficient tuff guys, there's an inordinate number of folks here with weak little princess hands.

I hated em the first day or so, then I got used to em. I wouldn't trade them now.

I have the flippy caps on my 290, but they seem to work ok. Granted, I don't use my saw as much as others may, but they haven't leaked yet.

Do they wear out with use, or do they just leak when someone forgets to put them on correctly?

I have the flippy caps on my 290, but they seem to work ok. Granted, I don't use my saw as much as others may, but they haven't leaked yet.

Do they wear out with use, or do they just leak when someone forgets to put them on correctly?
1229057315007.jpg.%5Broflposters.com%5D.myspace.jpg

I have 3 Stihl products with flippy's. They (flippy's) SUCK.

Think about this: If flippy's were so GREAT you would see other manufacturers making something similar to compete. Has anybody seen another brand that tried to mimick Stihl's ultimate engineering disaster? No Husky's, Dolmar's, Jonsered's, or ANYBODY else. Nuff said.

I've got a trimmer and two saws that are well over 15 years old and still have the original (old style) caps. Never had the first problem out of them. Never have stuck a scrench through them, leave my gloves on to take them off, never leaked either. I keep a scrench with the fuel can all of the time along with a small paint brush to brush dirt and stuff off before opening them.The old caps are part of the KISS principle. I think that people that have never had a problem with them heve never ran 8-10 tanks of fuel through a saw in one day, where time is money. Why should you have to wipe the o-rings clean every time the caps are removed when you don't have to with the old style. You don't have to do it to your car, truck, tractor, mower, etc., why my saw, trimmer and blower? Newer is not always better. I'm not against change as long as it's for the better and these caps are NOT better. They take more finese and more parts to go bad. As far as the o-rings go, I suspect that alot of the o-ring failures are from the rubber being incompatible with some of the additives in gas. Stihl doesn't make the o-rings, they buy them from a vendor and take the vendor's word that they are to spec. I've seen it happen way too much to convince me otherwise. I love Stihl products to death and have had exceptional service from them but I've about had my fill of these flip caps. I've never liked Husky but that's where I'm headed. Dolmar, Jonsered and some of the others look real good too but there are no dealers in my area, I happen to live in Stihl and Husky country.

Never had a problem on my 362 (bar oil or mix). On the Brush cutter (FS90?) that cap won't go back in right unless I watch it like a hawk. Dunno why.

An BTW guys, the screw caps are sealed by o-rings too, so don't act like the o-ring is the Flippy Cap Devil's Spawn...

When I had my 361 I liked them. No more hunting around for a scrench when the screw cap got too tight. They work fine if you just pay attention to what you're doing. Slap at it haphazard and you get waterproofed or highly flammable chaps.

Ian

I hate the flippy caps on my 200 and on the power pruner.
The others work ok,so I have concluded that it is a different material used to make these 2 gas tanks.
This is verified by the fact that the 200 and the 192 share the same cap.
Cap acts up on the 200 ,put it on the 192 and it works fine.
The tanks on 200 and PP even look different than other saws[more yellowish than white]

However,I have found a remedy for the situation.
A little bothersome ,,,,but,,,,, it works.

For a flippy cap that is hard to remove simply :
Raise flip section,turn counter clockwise,then LOWER the plippy section again.
It acts as a lever to pry the bottom loose from the tank about 2/3 of the way out. Raise flip section again.Easy enough to remove after that .

As for installing:
A little chain oil on the tip of the finger to coat the o-ring,makes it easier to get that last 1/16th of a turn on a stubborn cap,and prevents from tearing up the o-ring.

Yes , It is a PITA to have to'' re-engineer'' installing and removing a dam gas cap:bang:
But I aint about to do without my 200 or my PP.

Thing I don't get though is the large number of people on this forum that aren't strong enough to loosen threaded caps. For a bunch of self-sufficient tuff guys, there's an inordinate number of folks here with weak little princess hands.

Lol no kidding. These people need to masturbate more...... Strengthen those hands........

If you count the number of threads dedicated to the Stihl flippy caps, along with the number of dissatisfied owners.... there's only one honoust conclusion.

If I were Mr Andreas Stihl, I would make a personal visit to the R&D room and raise hell ;)

Latest posts

Back