more ohio ouch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you say DUMBA## on a ladder, operating a chainsaw, near high voltage lines. How much more can you stack the odds against yourself? Tune in next month to see what the tree does to him, his truck, and his house!

Tree 1 Dumba## 0:dizzy:

""I think I'll tie a rope to the one and hook it to my truck so I can make it pull and it will land in the yard or something, I guess," he said. Holy ####! That's a Darwin award candidate right there.

Can you say DUMBA## on a ladder, operating a chainsaw, near high voltage lines. How much more can you stack the odds against yourself? Tune in next month to see what the tree does to him, his truck, and his house!

Tree 1 Dumba## 0:dizzy:
That's just how tough we are in Ohio High Voltage AND a 50 ft. fall. It just makes us groan and want to try again.
Phil

ohio guy

If pain is just fear leaving your body, then maybe he let a little too much go.

If you call the power company and tell them what you are up to they will come out and sheath the wires.
I was just up one yesterday which I had sheathed and was glad for it cause I was bouncing limbs off it left and right.
Just a word to all ya'll. I know we all gotta go after the trees close to the wires from time to time but the job is way better if you tell the HO to call and have the wires sheathed. Getting that done is probably one of the more simple things to get done.
If fact, when I look back I think " now why in the hell didn't anybody get that wire sheathed, and you want me to go up there now?"
So the moral of this lesson is " Don't be a Clyde".

Last edited:
I hope he gets really ####ed up next time! :)

I have actually met with HO's who hired me to finish where they left off. The one dude was all ####ed up seriously. You know, the standard broken spine, ribs, clavical. Part of me was sympatheic while the other part was like " you did all that for this 5 hundred dollar tree!!?"

I had one where I bid the job and the guy decided to do it himself. He called me about a week later and I ended up charging about 25% more to take it off of the shed he had smashed.

I doubt the guy fell 50 feet.

Primary wires by houses are usually at about 25-35 feet up, depending on the age of the system and the voltage.

He was darned unlikely to be 15 feet above the primaries and then get knocked out of the tree by a branch that swung the wrong way. If you are that high above the wires, "down" is pretty predictable.

That's nothing!

I have actually met with HO's who hired me to finish where they left off. The one dude was all ####ed up seriously. You know, the standard broken spine, ribs, clavical. Part of me was sympatheic while the other part was like " you did all that for this 5 hundred dollar tree!!?"

this is Connecticut and they would do that here over a $50 tree!:jawdrop:

I gave a guy here an estimate.

I had one where I bid the job and the guy decided to do it himself. He called me about a week later and I ended up charging about 25% more to take it off of the shed he had smashed.

For a row of dead ash trees down his driveway.I was refered to him by his lawn service who is a buddy of mine.

So my buddy goes over on Sunday afternoon to drop off the monthly mowing bill and the lawn is on fire! the guy dropped the first tree at the top of the driveway and ripped the service wire off the house.My buddy said he could hear the sirens so he just backed out and got outta there as fast as possible.

The Idiot did get the rest of them trees down though.LMAO

I knocked one head off the wall... Expensive mistake. I'll have them dropped before hand if I have any questions now days.

I did a job a few years back for one of the big wheels in charge of operations for the power co here. I also dropped him a good load of wood for free. He gave me the direct number to get them dropped and cut the red tape. If you go by the number they have posted it has to go through about three different channels before they get the work order. If you can ever talk to someone and get the direct line it will speed things up considerably.

The bastards stood me up on one tree TWO Times in a row. We even had a lift rented on the second time, and worked around it until the massive trunk had to be dropped.

I went down to the local KCPL service center (1/2 mile from my office) and went in and kicked up enough noise that they sent somebody out immediately. The brass that I encountered claimed that there should have been no problems keeping the schedule.

Nowadays, we set an appointment, they don't keep it...We drop a small branch onto the wire, making sure that it reaches the ground, and then call it in as an electrocution hazard. They show up in 15 minutes!

BTW: I keep all the foremen and inspector's phone numbers, but they can't bypass the system. Apparently, all the loopholes have been plugged, and doing work without a work order or contrary to dispatch will lead to termination.

When I got the number from my client it was because I had a large crane job to do and could not afford to be stood up when they were rolling a 64 ton crane to me from an hour away. I went to my client who was with the power co and told him of my concern and he gave me the number and told me to tell them that he had told me to call. I had to have one dropped back in March and had thought that I lost the number. I called the number they had posted on the website and got the run around. They had everyone calling me back, even had the guy from forestry call me. Nobody could figure out who was on first. I got pissed and asked them why it was so hard to figure out that the needed to send a crew out to drop a line for me and get it done. I got to digging in my desk and finally found the old number I was given. Had the line dropped the next day. I logged that one down in my computer and numbers and addy book so I'll be sure not to loose it in the future.

Latest posts

Back