More Redgum pic's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Stuff MM - what have you got in mind to stop them from splitting?
Nothing mate , Im not concerned about that . The first time I ever milled any timber , before I had the net , I made a bar mounted csm , me and my partner went out in the scrub , this was year's ago , we milled a small Redgum into rough edge plank's , we got two usable one's about 12" wide , a third one split down the gut's all the way as we milled it , never seen anything like it , it had that much tension , it had a split about 6" wide at one end and fell apart , the one's I ended up with , we used as bench seat's for year's around the bon fire , I still have them , they have done all the warping , splitting and drying that they are going to do , I reckon if I planed the best one it would look marvelous , even with all the defect's , the other one would not be worth planeing , it is warped or cupped I should say , way to much , there would be nothing left after planeing , if they were stacked under weight originally I could have had a couple of nice plank's , I like all the natural defect's , two pack take's care of all the crack's , even plain old Estapol work's great , I did a large malley root table year's ago with Estapol , look's great , I will take a few photo's of it soon . I stacked all the Redgum today , that I milled today and over last week or so in the shed , I put a couple of ton's of milled timber on top of it all . Me , my partner of many year's and her Kid's are off fishing on one of the local river's about 50 mile's away tomorrow , then it's a couple more day's milling more Redgum and back to the slave camp again . Cheer's MM

. . . I like all the natural defect's , two pack take's care of all the crack's , even plain old Estapol work's great , I did a large malley root table year's ago with Estapol , look's great , I will take a few photo's of it soon .

I agree and I'd love to see the photos.

Here are some pics of resurfacing some 9 year old Red Gum slabs from a tree I grew in my backyard in inner city Perth. It started out in 1978 as one of a batch of 6, 6" high 50c seedlings planted in our back garden. 18 years later we had it cut down when we did some renovations and I had it slabbed and stuck it under the house to dry.

In 2005 I dragged the slabs out to have them resurfaced by a guy (Harley Scott) who came to my place with his Lucas mill. Harley is a terrific guy - right into portable milling etc and a wealth of info. Probably he is the person I know personally most responsible for me getting tied up with this business. Most of the slabs were badly split but I got a couple of good ones out of them - look at the one up against the fence. The figure in some of them was also pretty special.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Very nice pic's Bob , I really like the grain shot , Look's like a nice green leafy street , is this your current residence? I will try and get some shot's of the table over the next few day's it's one of those rough edge coffee type table's , it was one of the largest malley root's I have come across . We caught about 8 under size Brim today which we returned to the river , a pretty good day out , I forgot how much Blackwood grow's over there , some nice forest's around there . Cheer's MM

Very nice pic's Bob , I really like the grain shot , Look's like a nice green leafy street , is this your current residence?
Yep that my place. It's a fairly old area of Perth with a mix of 80 yr old Cape Lilac and Peppermint street trees so its nice and green. Unfortunately the lilacs are starting to rot in the middle and fall apart (it's a real risk parking your car underneath) so they have to come out so well be part naked again for a while.

I will try and get some shot's of the table over the next few day's it's one of those rough edge coffee type table's , it was one of the largest malley root's I have come across .
Excellent/

We caught about 8 under size Brim today which we returned to the river , a pretty good day out , I forgot how much Blackwood grow's over there , some nice forest's around there .
Sounds like the sort of luck I have fishing - still I don't mind putting the little'uns back.

Cheers

you guy's sure have some different and beautiful species of trees down there. always looking for something different to sink a blade into here. i've opened up some logs everyone else said were useless. tried some royal paulonia [small logs all i could get hold of]. a local woodworker bought all i had and wanted more. can't wait to see what he makes out of it.

you guy's sure have some different and beautiful species of trees down there. always looking for something different to sink a blade into here. i've opened up some logs everyone else said were useless. tried some royal paulonia [small logs all i could get hold of]. a local woodworker bought all i had and wanted more. can't wait to see what he makes out of it.
Not sure if the Paulonia you got is the same breed as the one they have been planting over here , the timber in the tree's over here is a pale cream or off white color , very soft , very light , Chinese tree , they said that the Chinese used to plant one tree for each child , for building material's for there future home's and furniture , that was the spiel they used when trying to get people to grow plantation's , look's like nice wood , super fast growing in the right condition's , the massive leave's produced are high in protein suitable for stock feeding . Cheer's MM

the ones i milled all have a hole in the center the whole length of the stem. it's real light weight wood and the logs i've harvested had growth rings about an inch apart. was told some grown in shadier locations had tighter rings. some of the local woodcarvers like it. interesting about the leaves, hadn't heard that.

Not sure if the Paulonia you got is the same breed as the one they have been planting over here , the timber in the tree's over here is a pale cream or off white color , very soft , very light , Chinese tree , they said that the Chinese used to plant one tree for each child , for building material's for there future home's and furniture , that was the spiel they used when trying to get people to grow plantation's , look's like nice wood , super fast growing in the right condition's , the massive leave's produced are high in protein suitable for stock feeding . Cheer's MM

Paulownia is one of those trees that 10-15 years ago here in the US went through the roof price wise. The stuff was like gold. A friend who was lucky enough to acquire a few trees from an estate that was being leveled was selling to specialty lumber dealers for $12/bd ft. They cleaned it up and sold it for much more. It was almost silly crazy, like it fed upon itself. The price eventually started to drop as demand did, and I think I read the Chinese started to get into the market in a bigger way, which also dropped prices. It's a beautiful tree, grows fast first couple years, I have two planted in my yard. As was said, the wood is very light, easy to work, but yet has some pretty grain patterns. Big daddio is right, the center of the tree has a huge soft pith that makes any board with pith in it useless at that spot.

Paulownia is one of those trees that 10-15 years ago here in the US went through the roof price wise. The stuff was like gold. A friend who was lucky enough to acquire a few trees from an estate that was being leveled was selling to specialty lumber dealers for $12/bd ft. They cleaned it up and sold it for much more. It was almost silly crazy, like it fed upon itself. The price eventually started to drop as demand did, and I think I read the Chinese started to get into the market in a bigger way, which also dropped prices. It's a beautiful tree, grows fast first couple years, I have two planted in my yard. As was said, the wood is very light, easy to work, but yet has some pretty grain patterns. Big daddio is right, the center of the tree has a huge soft pith that makes any board with pith in it useless at that spot.

Very interesting Woodshop , not sure if it's the same stuff here , sound's like it though . Just guessing though . Cheer's MM

Latest posts

Back