Most Huskee Log Splitter Toe Plates Are...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Design Progress

You guys have been very encouraging. I talked to a friend who runs a welding shop. He said he could add on a larger plate with no problem and I would only lose about 1/2" in max log length. The idea is to use a 1/2" thick rectangular plate with a 1-1/2" wide lip underneath that wraps almost all the way around to add more reinforcement to the outer rim.

He thinks we could easily double the size of the stock toeplate on a 20-ton splitter. So do I, and I'm drawing up the sketch for him to look at. :cheers:

When I was at the TSC I walked by the 35 Ton Huskee and noticed they had a new engine on them..........and the muffler exit pointed right where the operator would be standing. The muffler had a small deflector that could be rotated around - but no matter where you rotated the piece the flow would be pointed where you would get the exhaust blown at you anyhow. I didn't have my camera with me or I would have taken a picture.

all mfg are constrained by costs.... price points have to be meet.

like any American company... they need to make a profit. when marketing says.... certain price points sell... that's what they have to do and still make a profit.

for instance... to speed up a 35 ton splitter from 16 sec cycle time down to 8 seconds. one has the choice of downsizing the massive 5in cylinder to 4in..... or increasing pump from 16gpm to 22 gpm.... along with larger hoses, etc. necessary to support higher flow.

this is where the marketing department takes over. adding $150+ mfg costs has a 4x or so effect on final retail price.

down sizing to 4in (most logical) to increase cycle times, would cause marketing to no longer be able to claim 35 tons.

by the way... tons of force delivered is highly exaggerated. theoretical vs actual working tonnage. again marketing dictates ....

With fully warmed oil about 6secs.

well then why the heck don't they speed them up? Don't they know every body likes speed?

When I was at the TSC I walked by the 35 Ton Huskee and noticed they had a new engine on them..........and the muffler exit pointed right where the operator would be standing. The muffler had a small deflector that could be rotated around - but no matter where you rotated the piece the flow would be pointed where you would get the exhaust blown at you anyhow. I didn't have my camera with me or I would have taken a picture.

The first Huskee splitters had that same problem on the 35 ton. We talked to Speeco about it at a Manager's meeting and said they would correct it. They did, but seems like they forgot why they did.

well then why the heck don't they speed them up? Don't they know every body likes speed?

You've got to remember, Speeco doesn't sell to people who uses splitters, and knows that speed matters. They sell to a buyer who is in charge of all powered equipement and may or may not have ever run a splitter, but wants a splitter at $xxx, $xxxx, and $xxxx...

That really hurts. Why can't we, as a nation, manufacture a line of powered log splitters that work?
We could, but the CEOs of most,(if not all), manufacturing company's in the U.S. are more concerned with saving a buck, answering to their shareholder's, and concerned with their bonuses, than they are in making a good product and keeping American's working. As a result we get most everything imported from China and India. Let's just hope WWIII doesn't involve US vs. them, but then again they'd probably be happy to export arms to us.:dizzy:
Instead, we are expected to tinker with parts and assemble our own equipment from scratch?
Ridiculous!:buttkick:
Sometimes that's the only way to get a quality product now-days!
Snyde

Latest posts

Back