Moving Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use a 1066 International tractor(125 horse) with loader, three stacked bucket loads equals roughly one cord. Basement holds about five cord. When I'm in the woods I use an old 14 foot truck box with hoist made into a trailer. Fill the loader with the rounds then dump into the trailer. Split everthing when I get home on a cement pad in front of my barn. Works real nice. When it's heaped full it holds alot of wood. Have a two point mounted splitter on and old allis chalmers wd 45 run by a pto pump. Thats my settup, oh and a 346xp and 365 special to get the cutting done.

I use my Xterra and my landscape trailer to bring the wood home,and my Massey Furguson GC2300 to shuffle it around with the front bucket or trailer.

From the nice neat piles of split wood to the house; 4x8 platform on my boat trailer, and another 1/2 cord in the p/u, back it up to the basement window and down it all goes, at 4cords it's full. Now, at the end it might come to wheelbarrow every couple days due to the softer ground, don't want to tear up the lawn.

I use a '52 Case VA tractor pulling a box trailer made from a very old pickup truck body (maybe from a Model A Ford) on a '36 Plymouth front end to draw the rounds I cut in my woodlot. I split near the woodshed throwing the split pieces into a wheelbarrow, and stack a wheelbarrow load at a time. A two wheel dolly with a homemade base extension hauls the wood from the woodshed to the door (built the woodshed close to the door with that in mind). Gene Gauss

In the winter a ice fishing jet sled powered by my legs. In the summer a wheelbarrow.

I use my 93 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy with a pickup box trailer to haul wood home with when it's dry, when it's muddy, I use my 67 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with lockers on both axles, a feedwagon box mounted on it, and the trailer. To split and move around the yard, I have a 930 Case (90hp) with a loader and a pull type splitter run off the stock case pump. One of the things I like best about having the OWB is being able to park the trailer next to it and just toss the wood in.

I use 1943 SC Case, had to put the chains on it, snows getting a little deep.

far woodlot, lots of tools

November, cut in the woodlot, 1/2 mile uphill from house. Limb and pile brush, then winch trees to woods road, then buck. Haul big trailer homemade splitter up there with Ford 2120 (great rig). Split and stack until next fall. Back up with homemade trailer, fill and down again. Stack in woodshed (part of barn/shop), haul to house 30 yards with garden cart, better in snow than wheelbarrow, I find. I try to get a rhythm with trips to the woodlot to avoid wasting a trip: go up, cut, bring down last years', haul up splitter, but it doesn't always work out. I like being in the woods anyway, so no regrets.
OR, get roadside trees cut by town dumped behind the woodshed, buck and split and stack right there, then just throw into shed next fall. Simpler, but no woods time.
Jim

These are all great guys. My system is to cut 25 to 30 ft pieces in the woods. With tongs, pull out of the woods with the tractor then load onto the trailer with the tractor and 4 in 1 loader bucket. I can get 12 to 14 logs on my trailer that have to weigh nearly a ton each. At home unload trailer and stack the logs.

Move the splitter next to the woodpile, grab a log with the tractor and place the log next to the splitter. Hold it up about 2 feet and buck to length, dropping the piece next to the splitter. Split and stack. Come back in a year.

Drive the RTV to the woodpile and load. Drive to the house, park in the garage. Finally I load a Harbor Freight wood cart and pull to the woodstove.

The manual handling is once at split and stack, next to haul to house, haul inside and finally load stove; 4 times.

Bob

Like my cousin Albert says, wood is a very efficient source of heat. It heats you up when you cut it, when you haul it, when you split it, when you stack it, when you move it to the house and finally when you burn it.:biggrinbounce2:
Brad

And be sure to keep letting cousin Albert think he thought that up all by himself.:D

I have a F250, a Ford 555A with a 1 CY Loader, and an 18' flatbed trailer to move my wood.....I use the front end loader 99% of the time though.

I have an F-150 to get the wood to the house, and a wheelbarrow to get the wood behind the house to split it. Then the wheelbarrow to bring the wood around to the garage. I really need to figure out a better system. I am thinking af changing the fence on one side of the house so I can take a panel out and back the truck to the woodpile. That would save a lot of work. Also my son has a small plastic wheelbarrow and SpongeBob work gloves. I should load his WB with kindling and get him to help me. That will be a Kodak moment.

And be sure to keep letting cousin Albert think he thought that up all by himself.:D

My wife decided to help me with the firewood this year. In the first half hour she must have shed five layers of winter clothes at which point I mentioned that line. Her response was "who was the genius who thought that one up?" I wish I could have taken a picture of the look she gave me when she said it. :ices_rofl:
Brad

Howdy All,

Lots of cool deals out there. I use what ever I can get my hands on to get them to the wood shed or wood pile. Mostly my ford pick up. Sometimes I use my 20 horse craftsman garden tractor with a little trailer. When the ground is hard enough or frozen I use a wheel barrow to move from the wood pile to the wood stove (outdoor boiler). When its soft and muddy I pull a four wheel wagon. When the snow gets deep I use a saftey belt clipped to a volkswagon hood, its all downhill or level so its not to bad. Good thread, thanks.

v/r

Mike

If its cut on BLM or Forest Service land, its in the back of my GMC K1500.

When its cut on the ranch, Ill cheat and go grab the JD 310SG.

Buck it in the forest, pickup truck it home, wheel barrow it into the yard, split it (with a maul) and stack it. Take asprin, drink a Coors tall.

Latest posts

Back