MS 170 vs. CS-306

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verticaltrx

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
First off, I have searched, and while I found bits of info on both saws, it was not enough for me to draw any conclusions.

With that being said, I'm looking for a small, lightweight, cheap saw. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a Stihl MS 170 or Echo CS-306, based on their size, weight, price, and dealer support in my area. I will be using the saw weekly for putting points on fence posts before driving them, sawing brace posts to length and other various tasks related to fencing and barn construction. I will also use it for occasional limbing, pruning, and as a saw to throw in the toolbox of my offroad rig when we go on unexplored trails (to clear small fallen trees, saplings etc.)

The thing I value most in a saw is durability and longevity. After that would be performance, and lastly features. So this brings me to my questions:

-Of the two which is going to hold up better to weekly use? (they would be
well maintained)

-Currently I'm using an MS 191T for these tasks, how will these compare to it as far as power goes? (they are all the same CC)

-Which is easier to work on?

-Does the MS 170 use the same engine as the MS 192T?

-Anything else I should know about one or the other? Any particular problems that either of them have?

Thanks in advance for any info.

My vote is for the stihl. You might even want to consider used. I picked my 180 up for $102 shipped off of ebay. That saw has become my saw of choice when it comes to doing any kind of pruning or felling of trees up to 12" in diameter. I know that buying saws off of ebay is risky but if you buy a pile of crap you can always sell the pile of crap later...

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really interested in buying used, small items like this I like to buy new and use them until I have personally worn them out.

I second the MS170 or MS180. I have both that I picked up off ebay pretty cheap. They are fantastic little saws.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really interested in buying used, small items like this I like to buy new and use them until I have personally worn them out.

I would still recommend the 170/180 just from knowing that I have worn chains out on a saw that I bought used and it is still going strong....

I have owned a couple of the smaller Echo's, 300/301's. I'm pretty sure the CS-306 is of similiar construction. Look at the location of the air filter. If it is in the front of the saw, with the oil cap directly below it, it's a reed valve engine. The reed valve engines are WAY short on cutting power, basically LOW rpm "grunt" engines. I could start making a cut and go back in the house and have another cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal before they would make it thru a small log! We no longer own them.

I would look at the CS-330, CS-360 for top handle saws, or the CS-370 or CS-400 for rear handle. All of these use piston ported engines, and are WAY, WAY faster and more powerful than the reed valve engines.

We just puchased a CS-360T. I wasn't overly impressed with it till yesterday. I removed the exhaust screen and metal restrictor plate, and went and bought a REAL chain for it. Those two simple modifications gave it a whole new character, and I'm really starting to like it!

I see the CS-370's sell on E-Bay new every day for less than $170, some as low as $130........Cliff

Last edited:
saws

If you’re stuck in the price range of the Stihl MS 170 or Echo CS-306 saws then you really aren’t going to get anything other than a light duty saw made for occasional use. For something going to be used as much as you’re talking about you would be better off saving your pennies and getting a mid-range or pro saw. Good luck. :)

If you’re stuck in the price range of the Stihl MS 170 or Echo CS-306 saws then you really aren’t going to get anything other than a light duty saw made for occasional use. For something going to be used as much as you’re talking about you would be better off saving your pennies and getting a mid-range or pro saw. Good luck. :)

That was one of my questions. Isn't the 'drivetrain' of the MS 170 basically identical to that of the MS 192T (aside from the fixed jet carb)?

I have a couple mid-range and pro saws, but IMO the pro quality saws in this size range are WAY overpriced. Like I said, why buy the MS 192 when I could get the MS 170 for less and have basically the same saw? Maybe I'm missing something here...

Anyone have any input on the MS 170 vs. the MS 192T as far as the mechanical aspects of each go?

Not the same saw. The 170 is a rear handle and the 192T is a top handle saw. They do make a 192 rear handle.
The 192 is a more powerful saw than the 170, much higher rpm and you can run a 16" bar on the 192. Only 14" on 170.
The 192 also has the side access chain tensioner, instead of in the front like the 170. Better anti-vibe system on the 192 as well.
The 192 also comes with a new design of the easy2start system. It works great.

Don't get me wrong, the 170 will do what you want it to do. It's just not a 192. Pick them both up and get the one that feels the best to you.:cheers:

Not the same saw. The 170 is a rear handle and the 192T is a top handle saw. They do make a 192 rear handle.
The 192 is a more powerful saw than the 170, much higher rpm and you can run a 16" bar on the 192. Only 14" on 170.
The 192 also has the side access chain tensioner, instead of in the front like the 170. Better anti-vibe system on the 192 as well.
The 192 also comes with a new design of the easy2start system. It works great.

Don't get me wrong, the 170 will do what you want it to do. It's just not a 192. Pick them both up and get the one that feels the best to you.:cheers:

I realize they are not the 'same' saw. I was just wondering about the actual engine. They are both 30.1cc, 1.7hp, rated for 12" to 16" bar, and both use 3/8" PMN .043 chain. Seems kinda coincidental to me.

Well, I went ahead and bought a MS 170 today. They were a bit reluctant to sell me it when I told them how much I was going to be using it. I like it a lot better for these tasks than the MS 191T I was using, time will tell how long it will last.

Cliff R, what kind of chain did you get for your 370? All I've ever used on my saws are the safety chains from Lowes, Walmart, etc. We do have some saw shops close by and I'd like to try a different chain, one that's going to eat some wood.

Enjoy your saw, I have a 180 I beat and it still runs :blob2: around here the 180 only costs about 20 more and you get bigger motor and toolless chain tensioning.

Latest posts

Back