MS 170 with major issues!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had bought this saw back in 2004 and ported it in 05' has run great ever since, only 1mm on intake and 2mm on exhaust, i did the proper tuning on the carb to accomadate the port job. mind you this saw cuts 3-5 days a week and has run like a champ since i bought it way back when so i know the porting doesnt have anything to do with it. i checked the ignition ground wire as someone said and it is fine, saw also shuts right off when you turn it off.

i still think the coil could be the problem. since i bought it in 04' it should still be under stihls lifetime ignition warranty right??

i had bought this saw back in 2004 and ported it in 05' has run great ever since, only 1mm on intake and 2mm on exhaust, i did the proper tuning on the carb to accomadate the port job. mind you this saw cuts 3-5 days a week and has run like a champ since i bought it way back when so i know the porting doesnt have anything to do with it. i checked the ignition ground wire as someone said and it is fine, saw also shuts right off when you turn it off.

i still think the coil could be the problem. since i bought it in 04' it should still be under stihls lifetime ignition warranty right??

Is that taking 1mm on each side of the exhaust and .5mm on the intake?

I may just do that. I run a 12inch bar on mine but its also an .050 so its a trade off. More common for less power in the cut. It runs well and that 050 chain holds up much better than the 043 does. takes me longer to wear out a chain.

If your getting rid of it for very cheap ill pay the shipping to my doorstep.

I may just do that. I run a 12inch bar on mine but its also an .050 so its a trade off. More common for less power in the cut. It runs well and that 050 chain holds up much better than the 043 does. takes me longer to wear out a chain.

i run a 14" with .325 rapid super chain and it cuts like a mother!!! the port and exhaust work helped sooooo much!

What about that fuel line?

Sat is coming up quick.
I could have you a coil there by then, but it likely won't fix it.

2 things to watch on that 017/018/MS170/Ms180!

Check the condition of the nylon ring in the manifold throat behind the carb. Also check the little rubber duckbill tank vent in the fuel tank. I've fixed many saws with attention to these parts.

Check the condition of the nylon ring in the manifold throat behind the carb. Also check the little rubber duckbill tank vent in the fuel tank. I've fixed many saws with attention to these parts.

ya, the vent was the first thing i checked was a little clogged but still runs like $hit as i said before it only does it when hot...so i think its the coil

Back