MS 180 Issues after Complete rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And yes I used a older 018/017 recoil on this 180....

Sure enough I worked on that damn 180 the other night just to try and help a guy out at work...was going to sell it to him for $100...I text him picks, and he said he don't need one know he used his dad's, this guy is atleast 10-years older than me, maybe 40-45 and still uses daddy's tools, sad...

Needless to say I hope this fella don't ever need a saw in the future or even a chain sharpened, only get one chance with me...this is why I like doing saw work on this side....I don't like people in general, and if I don't want to deal with someone I don't have too, LOL....

And yes I used a older 018/017 recoil on this 180....

Sure enough I worked on that damn 180 the other night just to try and help a guy out at work...was going to sell it to him for $100...I text him picks, and he said he don't need one know he used his dad's, this guy is atleast 10-years older than me, maybe 40-45 and still uses daddy's tools, sad...

Needless to say I hope this fella don't ever need a saw in the future or even a chain sharpened, only get one chance with me...this is why I like doing saw work on this side....I don't like people in general, and if I don't want to deal with someone I don't have too, LOL....

Haha! I know a couple of guys like that. (Just use my daddy's stuff)

And +1 on dealing with the general public. I can't even imagine the headache that these dealers have to go through on a daily basis.
I like your side business idea. Maybe that's something I can get to in a few years instead of all this free labor that I've been handing out

I'm hoping that a new filter might also help richer up the the fuel mixture on this saw. I'm thinking more and more that this Chinese filter might be to blame on throttle response issues being that the carb is fixed to that specific amount of air flow from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I fixed this saw and it runs decent. (Still only about 135 lbs of compression.

Remember when I burnt up the second piston in the after market NWP cylinder?

Here it is.

You can see the scaring on the skirt of the exhaust side but my question has to do with the carbon build up on top of the piston.

Is there any significance as to why it's built up closer to the exhaust side?

(This piston was also a brand new NWP brand and only had around 30 minutes worth of run time on it before failing)

The problem was the aftermarket intake boot did not seal up correctly around the cylinder and let in air.

I went oem on that when I rebuilt it the last time and it fixed the air leak and is still running just not great as mentioned.

Probably should have done a better job of getting the transfer out of the cylinder before outfitting it with a second piston.

Sorry for rambling here.

My question has to do with the carbon build up on top. Is this common?

I've only pulled apart a couple of saws (which should be pretty obvious by now....haha!)
But I am learning it's just costing me some time and $.
820f017e35c8a991a4fc4c094911b730.jpg
140afe82b4003fca03488320ed6da189.jpg
da8d4d0b5475694f8c7a75fedb73cbf4.jpg

I would say it is caused from running lean. The air fuel mix is still burning when the exhaust port starts opening but there isnt enough fuel in there to fill the whole cylinder so it only leaves carbon on the exhaust side of piston. This is also why pistons melt because there isnt enough fuel and oil getting in there to cool the piston.

I would say it is caused from running lean. The air fuel mix is still burning when the exhaust port starts opening but there isnt enough fuel in there to fill the whole cylinder so it only leaves carbon on the exhaust side of piston. This is also why pistons melt because there isnt enough fuel and oil getting in there to cool the piston.

Thanks Thommo

That makes sense

Did you use a flat head screw driver to block the piston

It has a spot we're it's hit something

Latest posts

Back