Ms 201 T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see anyone on the site raving about these:msp_razz:
What do you guys think of them vs the Ms200T that is now no longer available?
If you bought the 201 are you wishing that you did not?

Pull the limiters, open up the muff and advance the timing. Only then will it outperform the 200. Oh, and forget the tach.
That's pretty much the drill on the 201.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw-stickies/227172.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/185736.htm

Last edited:

Yeah , not much to rave about unless you have a Snellerized 201T. I bought one and was not that impressed with it out of the box and vowed to buy no more , 3 months later I had 2 more. Have no clue why! Still dont. I have gotten rid of them all and stick to my 200T's. I am thinking of buying a Snellerized one though.

Great saws.....

[video=youtube;9zf_Bzn33MM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zf_Bzn33MM[/video]

If you are looking for a 200, my stihl dealer has a brand new one for 699.99...

Here's a ported 200T for a comparison.

[video=youtube;LCKmcItcFdw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCKmcItcFdw#at=64[/video]

I never used the 201 but the stihl dealer I deal with said none of the arborists who bought from him liked it at all.

My climber is an 8 year vet of Asplundh with lots of buddies still working the big A and told me the first time we saw the 201t at the local dealer "this saw is no strong Dave".
He told me later that whichever climber got to the truck first would grab the remaining 200T and keep it on his lap/in his hand all day to avoid another climber claiming it for the day so they wouldn't have to use the newer 201.
Dave

I have done a few of them, they are real strong with some work. It doesn't take long to give them what they need, running them stock is just not an option.
Even modded, they do get better and better. They take a little while to break in.

It's sad the Stihl screwed the pooch so badly with the 200T replacement. Yes, they really are that bad out of the box. How can you replace such a fine tool, the 200T, with something so inferior? How much "dirtier" can it run with the simple mods it takes to make it run like itcan?

It's sad the Stihl screwed the pooch so badly with the 200T replacement. Yes, they really are that bad out of the box. How can you replace such a fine tool, the 200T, with something so inferior? How much "dirtier" can it run with the simple mods it takes to make it run like itcan?

I read somewhere here that they had to have a certain number of very low emissions models so that some models could remain a 10 on the index. With that said, Stihl, stop making the 170 and 290 to bring back the 200t...

I have a NIB 200T, best birthday present ever,we all know what it is, but that is besides the point.

I had a Demo 201T, I had one for over 2 months and it was broken in well.

Is it as loud as a 200T ? NO

Does it suck down fuel like a 200T ? NO

Cutting speed was no where as bad as many have reported.

A few points:

This was a demo 201T, it had been broken in well, the new strato's need many, many tanks to get to there sweet spot.

Many are so used to the "nasty" 200T out of the box, that they are jaded to the 201T and it's needed break in time.

My 372XT needed many more tanks to be broken in as apposed to a non strato saw.

I let a few tree care pro's run the 201T, and let me say they were impressed with the 201 performance especially over all the bashing the 201 has had.

These are my firsthand observations, so take them for what they are worth.

It would be interesting to see the emissions numbers on a stock 200 vs. a stock 201 to see how many polar bears were actually saved... especially when you factor in how much longer a stock 201 has to run to make the same cut, just sayin.... Jeff

Even NPR had a story on the increased polar bear population...must be to 201's...and why stihl is white:hmm3grin2orange:

I have a NIB 200T, best birthday present ever,we all know what it is, but that is besides the point.

I had a Demo 201T, I had one for over 2 months and it was broken in well.

Is it as loud as a 200T ? NO

Does it suck down fuel like a 200T ? NO

Cutting speed was no where as bad as many have reported.

A few points:

This was a demo 201T, it had been broken in well, the new strato's need many, many tanks to get to there sweet spot.

Many are so used to the "nasty" 200T out of the box, that they are jaded to the 201T and it's needed break in time.

My 372XT needed many more tanks to be broken in as apposed to a non strato saw.

I let a few tree care pro's run the 201T, and let me say they were impressed with the 201 performance especially over all the bashing the 201 has had.

These are my firsthand observations, so take them for what they are worth.

That's inline with what we hear about how long many strato saws take to break in. But, I've also heard how much a 346 gains after break-in.

It's my opinion though, that no saw should be that weak out of the box. They certainly aren't after 30 minutes of work. I mod brand new saws, right of the box, having never been fueled. They're not weak after they're properly "tuned up". Then any additional gains from break-in are just icing on the cake.

Back