ms 211 vs ms 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensent

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience with these saws please compare them. They are about the same price and weight but different technology. Old tech vs new. We cut wood for home heating that is dropped in our spare lot by a local tree service. Random length, 4in to 18in dia. that way I dont have any heavy lifting. I am open for suggestion. Have a husky 350 and stihl 021. 021 and 250 are built on the same platform. We have a 360pro with a scored cylinder but repair is around $450. Ms200RH would be great I think but for the price. The 021 really is my "go to" saw but a little short on power. Have also considered the Husky 339xp and the stihl 192c (rear handle saws). Dont know if the 192 would be strong enough for bucking but that is what the tree service uses for a bucket saw for removal. I am 66years old and will never be younger. Have even considered the Easy2start option. Might keep me cutting for another 20years. What say you?
Thanks
Tom

Yikes

I think you can put a new top end on the 036 for under 200 saw chips, do it yourself. There are a number of us on AS willing to walk you throu the job. If you feel like it is to much to do it your self, Just ask around AS,as someone closer to you can probaly do it for you for less money. I agree with Brad on this. Heck sell the 036 on our classifieds and buy one of the saws from a fellow club member and save big $$.

:rock:

Parts to fix the 360pro from Bailey's are more than $150 plus shipping. I may repair it with some input from you guys in the know and appreciate the offer of help. The saw is really larger than we need to cut 18in dia logs. The 350 Husky can work as our "Big" saw. I really would like the new saw to be in the 10lb size or less. Can anyone compare these saws from personal experience. Brad posted a MM 180, and some Dolmar saws that looked to be plenty big for our wood. Too bad Dolmar has no dealers in the area, cant find any internet sales either. Husky is pretty much the same with some farm stores carrying the none xp models around here. Some of the Dolmar saws are interesting( 420 w/easy start feature?) Remember I"ll never get younger!
Thanks
Tom

I can't comment on the ms211 but I used an 025 which is basically the same as the ms250. It was very light and handy and seemed pretty durable. If most of the wood you get is 10-12" with an occasional 18 incher then the ms250 would be perfect. If you get a lot of wood over 12" then I would suggest a farm boss or a Husqvarna 455 rancher. You can get reconditioned 455's for reasonable prices. I have to disagree with Brad because you don't need a 70cc saw for 18" firewood.

I recently used a MM ms250 with non-safety chain and that is an impressive little saw.

I agree you don't need a 70cc saw for firewood, but they sure are nice lol. Anyway, to me the best firewood saw on the market is the Husky 346xp, you can limb and buck just about anything with that saw. Personally 50cc saws are small saws, and anything under that is honestly a wast of time for real firewood cutting IMHO. However if you still want a smaller saw the dolmar 420 is a good choice, as it runs strong for it's cc's.

An MS250 will work just fine for cutting most people's firewood...it is comparable in displacement to non super 028's. I would have to say 028's have cut more firewood than any other saw out there.

I grew up using an 08, 028, and 031 and we used to burn 22 cords of firewood per year and it seemed to work just fine.

Last edited:
Saw

I say Stihl MS 250 with a 16" bar and non safety chain will fit the job perfectly. I would run till the warranty expired then muffler mod it and readjust the carb to match. :msp_biggrin:

I have an 025 that I absolutely love. I do most of my felling and bucking with the ms311, I have the 066/25" b&c for the REALLY big trees. I run the 025 with an 18" bar and .325 full chisel chain, keep her sharp and she'll mow right through a pile of firewood. By the way the 025 is considerably lighter and burns less fuel than any of my other saws.

The guy is 66 years old and everyone is stating bigger is better lol ;). He is even considering the easy start in his post and everyone tells him to buy a bigger saw. I think the MS250 or any other brand comparable saw will work fine. However, I can say the MS250 is a fine saw in its power to weight ratio and pricepoint. I don't personally have much experience with the other brands in this size class.

ms261, 346xp, 357xp

To bad you don't have a dolmar dealer near you, I have a 5100s and love it.

I don't think he is looking for a 60cc saw, but if he was I'm not sure why you'd recommend a 357 and not a MS361 or just fixing the 036 he currently has. The 357 isn't a bad saw, but its not very well appreciated in comparison to the 361 imo.

The guy is 66 years old and everyone is stating bigger is better lol ;). He is even considering the easy start in his post and everyone tells him to buy a bigger saw. I think the MS250 or any other brand comparable saw will work fine. However, I can say the MS250 is a fine saw in its power to weight ratio and pricepoint. I don't personally have much experience with the other brands in this size class.

Brad you hit the nail on the head. As you get older a lighter small saw is a GOD sent. I think the CAD takes over in some of these threads and people lose track of what the OP asked. I have not used a 211 but have a 025 and find it a very easy saw to operate in most medium size wood. He has a working Husky 350 to take care of his 18” wood but needs something with a little more pop than the 021. Sounds like a MS250 EZ start keeps him cutting firewood into his twilight years. Buy the way that 021 will respond to a muffler mod. very nicely.

I've used the MS 211 good small saw. But for what you need buy the MS 250 with a 16" or 18" bar. I gave the MS 250 CBE too my cousin. I bought the MS 261 for myself for what we are cutting here. The MS 250 is one tuff little saw.

The 211 is a rugged little saw and I haven't had a single complaint about the saws, from anyone using them. I use my 211 primarily for cutting up 6-10" iron wood trees, and pallets around the shop. It's more a trim/ pruning saw more than a firewood cutter.

The MS250 is plain and simple a good value saw for light firewood cutting. My 84 year old grandfather uses his to cut 2-3 facecord of firewood a year. Keep a sharp chain on it and you'll like it. Best used with a 16" bar.

Many people make fun of the easy start, but my 64 year old step dad loves it. He's had 2 rotator cuff surgeries, and a nice case of arthritis, he strong but can't pull fast anymore. For some smaller firewood cutting a MS250 CB-E, or a MS291 is now available with the easy start recoil too for bigger firewood cutting.

I'd go with the MS250 with the 16". I've run one, and it was a lot of fun. You can definitely feel the extra 3 lbs when you go back to the 290/390 platform.

I've got a friend who runs an 046 with an 18" bar. He's 79, ex-Marine, had open heart surgery a year ago, and suffers from COPD. He can still start that saw, but I help him out with it. He doesn't seem to mind the weight, but I have noticed on some occasions he turns to his 021 instead. I think at his age, he's doing great.

Between the 211/250 I would go with the 250 w/16" Bar/Chain. I just purchased a MS210C and don't think it makes a good firewood saw at all. The 250 for what you want it to do will be a better choice.

I would just get that 360 working and keep it as a 16" cutter to keep the weight down, the weight shouldn't be much more then the 250. Probably can get away with just rings and or piston and plenty of helpers here to help you get it working. I'm sure anyone here will just take it off your hands as is but like was mentioned you may be able to get someone close by to help you fix it.

Had a 30' - 40' 12"+ tree on the ground that needed too be cut up. I used the MS 250 CBE 18" B&C no problems cutting this. Plus there was a downed White Oak 16" plus that I cut 4 sections off. The rest was rot. This saw cut through this and wanted more. Buy the MS 250 it will due all that you ask of it.

I can appreciate you desire for a lighter saw. As I get older light saws have greater appeal. I own a MS250 with a 16 inch bar. This saw has been a very dependable. We've used this saw for firewood and trimming trees a lot.

Latest posts

Back