MS 260 Dripping Chain Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have five 2000 non-pro 026's for training. None of them have the pump driven off the pin that fits into a slot on the bell housing (clutch drum). They all throw a big fan of oil after idling, now I know why! Thanks.
The only time one dripped badly was because the screw type oil cap was buggered, over time students had overtightened it, stripped it and put a hole in it!

I found the post below by lakeside in an older thread and may explain why we disagreed:

See, my 026 is not a pro, yet had oiler problems while under warranty and the local stihl dealer replaced the oiler with an adjustable oiler.......but mine pumps oil all the time, even at idle. Apparently you are correct as the "PRO" pump only pumps when the chain is moving. My assumption was that I had a pro oil pump on mine, yet apparently there are a couple versions of the regular 026 pump.......one non-adjustable and the other adjustable.

Waylan

There is no adjustable 026 pump that is not driven from the clutch drum...

There is no adjustable 026 pump that is not driven from the clutch drum...

Andy, the quote in post #18 was yours.........I just copied it from another thread. And, my 026 non-pro has an adjustable oiler on it that is driven by the crank, not the clutch drum. I guess it is possible that my dealer replaced the faulty stock unit with an oiler from a different model?

Waylan

Too be honest I have never met a saw that did not drip a bit of oil be it a brand new MS361 or a old Mac, I would think my saw was sick if it did not drool a bit!:)

From what I've read on this forum, there seem to be quite many MS361 that doesn't oil at all ;)

Andy, the quote in post #18 was yours.........I just copied it from another thread. And, my 026 non-pro has an adjustable oiler on it that is driven by the crank, not the clutch drum. I guess it is possible that my dealer replaced the faulty stock unit with an oiler from a different model?

Waylan

Nope... only the 1121 seres pump fits. Take the clutch off and look at what he did. He might have messed up completely and put a pro pump in without the pro pump drive, or messed up and left out the washer at the bottom of the spacer - that locks the drive to the crank.

The very old and rare non-pro adjustable pump will not fit the later cases. I've seen maybe two ever.

Last edited:
Nope... only the 1121 seres pump fits. Take the clutch off and look at what he did. He might have messed up completely and put a pro pump in without the pro pump drive, or messed up and left out the washer at the bottom of the spacer - that locks the drive to the crank.

The very old and rare non-pro adjustable pump will not fit the later cases. I've seen maybe two ever.

My 026 was made around 1995. I saw him replace the stock oiler which had a plastic body with an adjustable oiler with a metal body. If you want I can tear it down sometime this week and give you part numbers. I do know that it oils at idle, is adjustable, and turned all the way up goes through about 3/4 tank of oil per tank of fuel. I saw him replace nothing other than the oiler.

And I've read on here in other threads where some guys had factory adjustable oilers that were crank driven although the IPL does not support the info. What gives? :cheers:

Waylan

sorry, thought you had an MS260 -I just read the thread header.

Ipls drop the very old stuff often when there is a drop-in supercedng part.

Back