MS 260 Dripping Chain Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtgrs737

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a used MS 260 Pro that drips chain oil at idle. I am getting a drip every 3 seconds, Is this normal? If not normal what needs to be done? Thanks!

Are you sure it's a pro???

The pro should not oil at idle, will only oil when the chain is moving.

Sounds like someone may have swapped the oiler on you..... or a sticker. :)

Does it have the decomp valve on it??

Too be honest I have never met a saw that did not drip a bit of oil be it a brand new MS361 or a old Mac, I would think my saw was sick if it did not drool a bit!:)

Yep, it has the decompresion valve on it, I thought that too.

I would not worry as long as the bar is getting oil and when your saw runs out of fuel mix that the oil tank still has a little oil in it... you will be ok. :cheers:

Last edited:
One drip every three seconds seems a bit excessive to me; one Halloween I ran my 026 with no chain on the bar, and I don't think it dripped a whole lot more than that. If it's dripping on the ground, might it be bypassing the bar and chain?

It is oiling the bar well, but I think that it is dripping way too much. We are talking large drips. I will see if it is leaking with engine not running.

I have a used MS 260 Pro that drips chain oil at idle. I am getting a drip every 3 seconds, Is this normal? If not normal what needs to be done? Thanks!

Pull the bar off and idle the saw. Is oil coming out the discharge hole? If not then you just have a lot of residual oil dripping.

Are you using a standard grade bar oil? Are you sure you don't have a winter grade in there? Is it real hot where you're cutting.

I could see a scenario where a combination of winter blend bar oil and hot ambient could cause a lot of dripping.

Their is a rubber seal behind the oiler that goes into the oiltank where the intake for the pump seats. It may be cracked or the screws on the oiler my have come loose.

If you check it with the bar off use a piece of wood or a gloved finger to stop the clutch housing from spinning. You can use a naked finger, just go slow to keep from friction burning your finger.

Regardless of pro or not, I believe the older 026's and 260's oilers were driven by the crank........and the newer ones are driven off the clutch rim, so that it only oils when the clutch drum is spinning. I do not know the year that it changed, or if you can upgrade an older version to the newer style.

Waylan

If you check it with the bar off use a piece of wood or a gloved finger to stop the clutch housing from spinning. You can use a naked finger, just go slow to keep from friction burning your finger.

Or you could just lock the chain brake. :dizzy:

Regardless of pro or not, I believe the older 026's and 260's oilers were driven by the crank........and the newer ones are driven off the clutch rim, so that it only oils when the clutch drum is spinning. I do not know the year that it changed, or if you can upgrade an older version to the newer style.

Waylan

The non pro models oil all the time the pro models are driven by the clutch drum and should not oil unless the chain is spinning.

Last edited:
Or you could just lock the chain break. :dizzy:

Hadn't thought of that, but it would definitely work better than my suggestions.

The non pro models oil all the time the pro models are driven by the clutch drum and should not oil unless the chain is spinning.

I don't believe this is correct..........I believe both had the same style oiler drive........just the pro's were adjustable and the regulars were not. Do you have an IPL that shows otherwise?

Waylan

Looking at an 026 IPL that I have it shows the same clutch drum and carrier for the 026 and 026 pro. The IPL is too large to post otherwise I would do so.

Waylan

Yep!

and both saws

You do realize if your 026 non-pro is older and your pro is newer that could explain the difference............

I will pm you my email address as I'd like a copy of that IPL if you don't mind. I don't particularly care for arguing, just like to know the facts. It is very possible I am wrong. Thanks.

Waylan

I found the post below by lakeside in an older thread and may explain why we disagreed:

one more thing... There is a model (or two) of the 026 oil pump that has the adjuster and can use the existing brake drum etc, but differs from the "pro" pump in one important aspect - the pro pump only pumps oil when the chain is moving; the others pump all the time the motor is running. I like not leaving a puddle on the ground when idling.

See, my 026 is not a pro, yet had oiler problems while under warranty and the local stihl dealer replaced the oiler with an adjustable oiler.......but mine pumps oil all the time, even at idle. Apparently you are correct as the "PRO" pump only pumps when the chain is moving. My assumption was that I had a pro oil pump on mine, yet apparently there are a couple versions of the regular 026 pump.......one non-adjustable and the other adjustable.

Waylan

I found the post below by lakeside in an older thread and may explain why we disagreed:

See, my 026 is not a pro, yet had oiler problems while under warranty and the local stihl dealer replaced the oiler with an adjustable oiler.......but mine pumps oil all the time, even at idle. Apparently you are correct as the "PRO" pump only pumps when the chain is moving. My assumption was that I had a pro oil pump on mine, yet apparently there are a couple versions of the regular 026 pump.......one non-adjustable and the other adjustable.

Waylan

Well then see we both learned something, I have never seen an 026 with an adjustable oiler that was not driven by the clutch drum. :cheers:

Well then see we both learned something, I have never seen an 026 with an adjustable oiler that was not driven by the clutch drum. :cheers:

Yeah, after a minute or so of idle mine throws a good fan of oil when you first gas it, as well as dripping while idling.

I believe my original oiler was plastic bodied and it warped and was leaking when not running. The dealer replaced it with a metal-bodied pump that was adjustable. But yes, learn something new every day!

Waylan

Back