Ms 260 pro done...........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 346 will not live forever and I'm sure the 261 will bring some stout competition if not knock it to the #3 position. I prefer the 026/260 over the 346 anyway.

I seriously doubt that. So far, every strato saw has been heavier than the saw it replaced. 50cc saws are about light weight, and it's not going to fly well if the 261 is heavier.

Obviously evenyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have a hard time understanding how someone can put a 026/260 over a 346. There's just no comparison there IMHO. Inferior air filtration, AV, power, handling........ But that's understandable considering how old the design is. It's time for replacement. The 261 will probably be a great saw, but likely heavier. That'll probably be a deal breaker for me as long as the 346 is available.

And let me just remind you guys that think I'm just a naysayer of one thing. I'm a Stihlhead. I love my Stihls. I've got a brand new MS440 being delivered today. I'm as excited as a kid in a candy store, seriously. But facts are facts. Unless you bleed orange blood and cant see the forest for the trees, you'll realize the 346 is a much superior saw to the 026/260.

Yes, I've written this for a response. Don't get sore at me. Have some fun with it:):cheers:

I seriously doubt that. So far, every strato saw has been heavier than the saw it replaced. 50cc saws are about light weight, and it's not going to fly well if the 261 is heavier.

Obviously evenyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have a hard time understanding how someone can put a 026/260 over a 346. There's just no comparison there IMHO. Inferior air filtration, AV, power, handling........ But that's understandable considering how old the design is. It's time for replacement. The 261 will probably be a great saw, but likely heavier. That'll probably be a deal breaker for me as long as the 346 is available.

And let me just remind you guys that think I'm just a naysayer of one thing. I'm a Stihlhead. I love my Stihls. I've got a brand new MS440 being delivered today. I'm as excited as a kid in a candy store, seriously. But facts are facts. Unless you bleed orange blood and cant see the forest for the trees, you'll realize the 346 is a much superior saw to the 026/260.

Yes, I've written this for a response. Don't get sore at me. Have some fun with it:):cheers:

Dead on Brad. I've put waaayyyy too many hours on both the 260 and 346 to not know the difference. The 346xp is simply put, a much, much better 50cc saw. All three of my friends I typically cut wood with own 290 farmbosses. They like their saws but just rave about how nice my Husky is. They just can't get over the "punch" the little 346 has. It outcuts all three farmbosses and does so with much less weight.(Of course it could be my sharpening skills!!!:)) Actually they've all pledged to to try out "the darkside" when the time comes to trade. I do think that the 260 is a pretty good saw but, it's not on par with a 346xp.

No problem at all, your money and your saw. The 346 runs good, I like 'em just not enough to switch. I got way too many 026s and parts to last awhile, awesome local support and great prices on anything Stihl. In fact I got another 50cc coming, can ya guess what it is?:D The 346 has the power but vibes and not being able to clean a filter is a GHS issue. Run a 041 then talk to me about vibes.:dizzy:

As far as the stratos and the weight, I think GHS is playing a role in that also.:laugh: Love 'em or leave 'em they are here to stay.

No problem at all, your money and your saw. The 346 runs good, I like 'em just not enough to switch. I got way too many 026s and parts to last awhile, awesome local support and great prices on anything Stihl. In fact I got another 50cc coming, can ya guess what it is?:D The 346 has the power but vibes and not being able to clean a filter is a GHS issue. Run a 041 then talk to me about vibes.:dizzy:

As far as the stratos and the weight, I think GHS is playing a role in that also.:laugh: Love 'em or leave 'em they are here to stay.

Oh come on now. I was expecting better than that:greenchainsaw:

I really do hope the 261 is a winner.

Oh come on now. I was expecting better than that:greenchainsaw:

I really do hope the 261 is a winner.

It's not my problem ya'll have girly hands and can't clean a filter.:jester: I need to find that pic Ultra had of a Air Injected husky 350's air filter. Hey, I got a 350, LOL.:dizzy:The air injection is a nice feature but not perfect by any means.;)

I sincerely hope that the 261 slated to come out is a good saw. Everything coming out these days is going to be EPA regged to death so all the more good saws available to us can only be a plus. I dread the day when the EPA regs start taking it's toll on performance and weight.

Did get a chance to put my hands on a 311 today. Like the 391, nicely done. If they were able to take those two pigs (310/390) and improve them as they did...who knows what they have in store for the 261.

Problem is that they made the new "pigs" even heavier.

They have to do a better job on the 261 to keep it relevant as a pro saw, and I believe they will! ;)

They have to do a better job on the 261 to keep it relevant as a pro saw, and I believe they will! ;)

I know your definition of a good saw is a light saw, but sometimes the things that improve a design also add weight. But also in the process the saws don't actually feel noticeably since in the case of the new 391/311 saws they have made them much better balanced saws, that you don't notice the extra weight. I know you would with your super calibrated hands, but my hands are to calloused to notice a difference.

Once more, that is the opinion of a numbers cruncher. Real world is much different. I'd suggest you take a look at the 090 thread. Lighter does not mean better.

I've brought it up before, the AK-47 is heavy and slower than many newer units. However it has, and continues to preform reliably, in environments that would make most modern weapons jam at the thought of...

Not saying these pigs are even close to being in line with the durability of a AK (of any variety, even the 4...the pig that it is :) ). But specs mean little to those in the field, durability and reliability are far more important. An example would be the 038/380...an outdated model that is still revered by those wanting a dependable platform.

I kind of see both sides of the wight argument. In the end, you have to handle the saw, and decide which one feels best when you are working. It is one of the main reasons I went with a used 372xp over a new 575xp on clearance was the weight difference was noticeable to me. Having said that, I went with the 357 over the 361 even though it was heavier because it felt better in my hands. All other things being equal (and this is usually not the case) I would chose the lighter saw.

Tim

Once more, that is the opinion of a numbers cruncher. Real world is much different. I'd suggest you take a look at the 090 thread. Lighter does not mean better.

I've brought it up before, the AK-47 is heavy and slower than many newer units. However it has, and continues to preform reliably, in environments that would make most modern weapons jam at the thought of...

Not saying these pigs are even close to being in line with the durability of a AK (of any variety, even the 4...the pig that it is :) ). But specs mean little to those in the field, durability and reliability are far more important. An example would be the 038/380...an outdated model that is still revered by those wanting a dependable platform.

I may be in the minority here, no one could pay me enouh to EVER use an 090, or an 070, or anything else with such bull#### antivibe... Give me springs or a good 044 or don't even try and sell me your saw. Thank God for 441's and 372's! (no offense to anyone who likes those saws, I just refuse to use certain older saws without springs for AV)

We'll hav eto wait and see. the 311 and 391 weigh a ton. The 311 is the odd man out cause it's only $30 less than the 391 with all the weight. That leaves a big gap in the stihl line unless dealers stock the 270 which can be a tough withotu more performance gap over the 260. With husky still on 3/8 for the 455/460 rancher it's a touch and go game

Back