Ms 260 pro done...........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the 261 gains .5 hp and a full pound, while gaining antivibe and better filtration, the 346 will finally only be better handling.

I hate to see them mess with the 260 though. It's got it's spot locked up for light weight, and for some folks, that is exactly what they want and vibes etc. be damned.

No word outta Husky on the 346 replacement yet, and I'd like to see Stihl up the Anti and push 'em hard so we don't get stuck with a terd.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I may be in the minority here, no one could pay me enouh to EVER use an 090, or an 070, or anything else with such bull#### antivibe... Give me springs or a good 044 or don't even try and sell me your saw. Thank God for 441's and 372's! (no offense to anyone who likes those saws, I just refuse to use certain older saws without springs for AV)

You're not. Because of my background, I #####ed for years about the use of RIS isolators vs Spring. Never made sense to me. Spring isolators are far superior and in the case of chainsaws, the cost increase if negligible.

Durable, better dampening, the ability to adjust (stiffer or softer) with a simple change out...never made sense.

With that said, when it comes to durability, hard to argue with the older units. They've proven themselves time and again in some of the most abusive environments around. Still I pay for using them, as long as I did, every time it cold out, or when I'd actually like to feel what I'm touching :)

Maybe they/we can take some tips from the bicycle racers to shave weight;
- 'drill out' the bar
- titanium carb
- use skip tooth chain
- carbon fiber handles
- aerodynamic muffler
- only fill the tanks half way
- shave our legs
- etc.?

Philbert

:laugh: Let us know if that helps. Disposable razors are much cheaper than titanium carbs.

If the 261 gains .5 hp and a full pound, while gaining antivibe and better filtration, the 346 will finally only be better handling.

I hate to see them mess with the 260 though. It's got it's spot locked up for light weight, and for some folks, that is exactly what they want and vibes etc. be damned.

No word outta Husky on the 346 replacement yet, and I'd like to see Stihl up the Anti and push 'em hard so we don't get stuck with a terd.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Talked to my Stihl rep yesterday and he said there won't be a replacement for the 260. They're just going to push the 280 for a few years.

i guess there's no way i would agree w/that. the 270/280 aren't even in the same class as the 260 pro. i can't believe they would drop the 260 completely. that would leave a big hole in a highly contested market. there is a reason they wont be able to order after july. bryan equip. is a HUGE dist. center for stihl. i would think they would have a pretty good idea of what is happening. again,just my opinion.

i guess there's no way i would agree w/that. the 270/280 aren't even in the same class as the 260 pro. i can't believe they would drop the 260 completely. that would leave a big hole in a highly contested market. there is a reason they wont be able to order after july. bryan equip. is a HUGE dist. center for stihl. i would think they would have a pretty good idea of what is happening. again,just my opinion.

I guess only time will tell. My contact was from Mid Atlantic Stihl, but for now we just have to wait and see. I don't sell many 260's anymore as it is so it won't hurt us too much if there isn't a direct replacement. Most of my 260's are state and fed bid assist sales nowadays. I personally don't care for the 260 much but it's been so reliable that ya hate to see it go away.

I guess I wouldn't care if they got rid of the 260 either, as long as they brought back the 026! Has anyone even run one of the 270/280s? I personally don't know anyone with one. The price is better, and supposedly they have more power. They seem like they would cost Stihl more money to make, so it's wierd that they cost less than the 260. Should be interesting to see what happens.

I guess I wouldn't care if they got rid of the 260 either, as long as they brought back the 026! Has anyone even run one of the 270/280s? I personally don't know anyone with one. The price is better, and supposedly they have more power. They seem like they would cost Stihl more money to make, so it's wierd that they cost less than the 260. Should be interesting to see what happens.

The 280 retails for only $10 less than the 260 in my area, and most of mycustomers who have used both prefer the 280.

i've had a couple of 270's,they are nice saws.they look and feel kinda goofy w/16" bars. power seems decent,just not as nimble/high spirited as the 260. fror some reason the 270/280 series just never caught on in this area.

I have a ms280 , power is good , av is great , lent it to a friend and I have not seen it for a while (he likes it a lot compared to his 116si) .
I'd still grab the 260/026 first , they just feels smaller and more nimble when in the woods .
There are a fair amount of 270/280's around here and I'd say that they have been proven to be dependable .

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back